Photo

Which Linux distribution do you prefer? (2014 edition)

linux distribution preference

117 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Linux distribution do you prefer?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Which Linux distribution do you prefer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#106 elenarie

elenarie

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Lumia 920 Yellow

Posted 10 August 2014 - 23:15

When we call software “free,” we mean that it respects the users' essential freedoms: the freedom to run it, to study and change it, and to redistribute copies with or without changes. This is a matter of freedom, not price, so think of “free speech,” not “free beer.”

These freedoms are vitally important. They are essential, not just for the individual users' sake, but for society as a whole because they promote social solidarity—that is, sharing and cooperation. They become even more important as our culture and life activities are increasingly digitized. In a world of digital sounds, images, and words, free software becomes increasingly essential for freedom in general.

Wow. Okay. :laugh:

#107 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 10 August 2014 - 23:58

Arch all the way. I've tried virtually every distro under the sun, but I always come back to it. Gentoo is a close second though.

As far as reasons go:
1. Highly customisable.
2. A blank slate. I love nothing better than building a system from scratch just as I like it.
3. Pacman / Yaourt / AUR. Gentoo and Arch have the best repositories and package management tools hands down.
4. Rolling release.
5. Net install (tiny download).
6. Simple installation & great documentation.
7. I can run it on my Raspberry PI.

#108 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 August 2014 - 00:08

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.[/size]

I agree. That's an important distinction that's often lost. The GNU programs and libraries are a core part of what makes a distro.

#109 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:09

Arch all the way. I've tried virtually every distro under the sun, but I always come back to it. Gentoo is a close second though.

As far as reasons go:
1. Highly customisable.
2. A blank slate. I love nothing better than building a system from scratch just as I like it.
3. Pacman / Yaourt / AUR. Gentoo and Arch have the best repositories and package management tools hands down.
4. Rolling release.

You can do all that with Debian, just saying...

#110 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:20

Another plus, in my opinion, is the Arch Build System. I've been partial to Unix and later BSD as long as I can remember, just another thing that Arch does that makes it feel more "proper" to me. And yea, Gentoo for the same reason.

#111 TDT

TDT

Firestarter

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:29

elementary OS Freya beta 1 is out :) Enjoy!

#112 Hussam Al-tayeb

Hussam Al-tayeb

Neowinian

• Phone: HTC Desire HD

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:17

As far as reasons go:
1. Highly customisable.
4. Rolling release.

I use Arch but every single package is compiled on my machine. Most package maintainers on ArchLinux these days compile the packages on their own computers instead of clean chroots. I don't like that habit as it may on very rare occasions cause unexpected results. I don't blame them as Arch Linux has no build server.

One of my friends who works at a company that makes multimedia servers had that issue with Arch Linux.

Pacman itself is great.

So my system is fully compiled from source on my own computer without the need to dwell into the complexity of Gentoo.

As I already stated earlier in this thread, systemd did wonders for Arch Linux.

#113 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:34

You can do all that with Debian, just saying...

exactly

I always start with a network install with nothing but ssh, i then go in and start building from there

I mean ok they are deb packages and not compiled directly on my machine 

but

1. Highly customisable. Yes
2. A blank slate. I love nothing better than building a system from scratch just as I like it. Yes
4. Rolling release.
5. Net install (tiny download). Yes
6. Simple installation & great documentation. Yes
7. I can run it on my Raspberry PI. Yes

#114 Starbuck84

Starbuck84

Would You Kindly?

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:48

Don't ask me why exactly, but I've always been fond of Fedora. I'm not doing much with Linux these days, but if I want to play around with it, I always go back to Fedora. Tried several, like Mint, Ubuntu and Suse. I'm a Linux noob :p

#115 +Ely

Ely

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:13

ElementaryOS all the way for me, I love the look and feel, it doesn't look amateurish at all like so many distros, it's really a joy to use.

Thanks for that.

#116 Lion and Lamb Ministry

Lion and Lamb Ministry

Neowinian

Posted 15 August 2014 - 23:57

I have been running Fedora Rawhide for quite sometime. Best Gnu/Linux experience ever!

#117 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Lumia 928 Black + WP8.1 Black

Posted 16 August 2014 - 00:13

Fedora feels polished and comforting, even coming from Windows.

#118 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 16 August 2014 - 00:17

ubuntu ease of installation and friendliness