Photo

Which Linux distribution do you prefer? (2014 edition)

linux distribution preference

127 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Linux distribution do you prefer?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Which Linux distribution do you prefer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Krome

Krome

Neowinian God!

Posted 01 September 2014 - 21:07

I am very very excited to try Linux.  I have not used Linux ever since I am out of Uni.  Need to get back to it.  I can't wait to use Linux again.  Right now, there's a few things that is stopping me from using Linux.

1) Waiting for "Scientific Linux 7" to be compiled.

2) VirtualBox is still not stable.  Version 4.3.14 break many VM.  The bug is still being ironed out.

3) 128GB SSD is not enough to install many applications.  I am currently waiting till I can get the 1TB SSD so I can install any apps to my heart's contend.

#122 Radium

Radium

Neowinian

Posted 12 October 2014 - 13:58

I'm compiling Linux From Scratch at this very moment. :woot:

#123 vhane

vhane

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:13

I've recently Dockerized one of my client's web service applications, and I'm sold on the technology. I've got the current iteration of the service running on EC2/Ubuntu/Docker. It follows naturally that CoreOS is the next distro that I'm going to investigate. I think that this is the future folks.

#124 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:02

Ditched Scientific Linux for CERN Centos 7.

#125 BigItup

BigItup

Neowinian

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:26

Arch for me. I was put off trying it as I kept reading it was not for newcomers to linux and was too cutting edge etc. I am glad I tried it anyway as I find it the easiest to use and keep updated. The main reason I like it is I get up to date software not the ancient stuff I had to put up with when I tried Debain distros. That's the worst thing about Debian. You go to the web site of program x and the author tells you to use the latest  version as it has a lot of bug fixes and is better by far, but if you want to use it you have to build it yourself and hope that it builds fine for you because you cant find a recent version in the debian repos.

#126 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:38

Just a suggestion, but could people explain why they prefer their choice of distribution? I only ask because I have a spare machine lying around and am going to start messing around with Linux, so it would be good to hear why each person went for the distribution that they did.

My vote for the moment is Ubuntu, due to its easy setup. But that's because I haven't completely dived in to Linux yet so I just use it to test things.

My vote was for Debian due TOTALLY to it's stability and lack of bloat, which is especially a must being that I'm not a total Linux guru either, and the fact that any derivative of Ubuntu has always found a way to screw itself up and force a reinstall!

Personally,

I consider the any of the Ubuntu things nothing but bloat! Way more stuff get's installed than you'll ever need.

#127 whs37

whs37

Neowinian

Posted 01 December 2014 - 18:19

I really like Min Mate.

https://www.youtube....h?v=P0zrevWm0YM

#128 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 07 December 2014 - 01:25