Order of War: first game erased from all Steam user libraries

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

#ForzaJules

• Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:49

It was bound to happen sooner or later. Valve's online gaming distribution website Steam has removed what appears to be the very first game from user libraries. Many games have been removed from the Steam store, but have remained in user libraries. Individuals have had games removed for various reasons as well, but this appears to be the first game, in its entirety, removed from every user library.

Square Enix shut down the servers for Order of War: Challenge and instead of merely removing the game from the storefront, Valve erased its existence altogether. For customers who purchased - and I'm tempted to write this as "purchased" - it's like a game that never was.

To be fair, with the servers shutdown, the game would have been impossible to play anyways. This isn't simply because it's an online-only game. In face, Order of War: Challenge has 18 single-player missions as well. But due to always-online DRM, even the single-player portion of the game requires the servers to be up and running.

It's actually quite fitting that on Steam we have a "library" of games as opposed to, say, a digital shelf. The games purchased online have no physical copy and are, in effect, simply leased to us rather than actually owned by us. So if Steam decided to pull a game from our libraries, that's well within Valve's right (and all of this is, of course, in the Terms of Service, or TOS.)

But this somewhat risky proposition is hedged against by the face that Valve has absolutely no reason to pull games from our libraries whatsoever. The incentives to keep games in user libraries, on the other hand, are clear: it keeps customers happy and paying.

Always-online DRM throws a wrench into the gears. Here Steam, or any other distribution outfit, has no choice in the matter. They could, theoretically, leave games broken by server shutdowns in user libraries, if only out of principle. But the games wouldn't function and customers would still have no way to play them. At least by pulling the game there is some way for customers to theoretically request a refund.

So while digital ownership, or the lack thereof, is a real concern that hasn't been properly addressed in our legal system yet, the much bigger story here, to me at least, is the problem with always-online DRM. The two are related to a degree. If Valve went out of business tomorrow, what would happen to all of our games? If Steam shuts down, will we have some way to access our libraries? Would we simply lose our collection?

Full article.

#2 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:05

is the DRM server upkeep cost are becoming so unprofitable, that prompt their decision to kill it altogether?

#3 macrosslover

macrosslover

Muad’Dib

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:06

On the one hand I can't blame them since the developer (Square Enix) made a crippled game that is unable to function at all without online DRM, I'm interested to see how much negativity this gets in the gaming press and forums in general since Steam went so far as to pull it from users libraries although they purhas...leased it.  I have no doubt if Microsoft did this same thing on Xbox 360/One people with pitchforks would be outside Redmond HQ.

#4 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:08

On the one hand I can't blame them since the developer (Square Enix) made a crippled game that is unable to function at all without online DRM, I'm interested to see how much negativity this gets in the gaming press and forums in general since Steam went so far as to pull it from users libraries although they purhas...leased it.  I have no doubt if Microsoft did this same thing on Xbox 360/One people with pitchforks would be outside Redmond HQ.

well, i kinda hoped it happens .. the pitchforks i mean.

#5 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:15

The only thing necessary was some kind of a warning or a message about what exactly they will be doing (and when exactly) for those who had the game a reasonable time before the plug was pulled. If they did have it then there can be no argument. If they didn't, well... we have just another display of certain arrogance, although they were fully within their rights do it.

#6 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:19

I think the main issue here is that the singleplayer aspect of the game is now unplayable because of the DRM in place. Sure, shut the servers down when they are not needed anymore, but you should really introduce some sort of patch that will then remove or circumvent the DRM for those people that still want to play singleplayer.

Steam removing the title from libraries isn't really the problem as the game is completely unplayable. The problem (as usual) is DRM.

#7 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 31 December 2013 - 13:14

I think the main issue here is that the singleplayer aspect of the game is now unplayable because of the DRM in place. Sure, shut the servers down when they are not needed anymore, but you should really introduce some sort of patch that will then remove or circumvent the DRM for those people that still want to play singleplayer.

Steam removing the title from libraries isn't really the problem as the game is completely unplayable. The problem (as usual) is DRM.

That's one way to look at it.  But should it have been removed from your library without your permission?  Did you not buy the game?  If you had the disc based version would you have been forced to mail your copy back to Square?  Granted the chances of Steam removing a game thats still playable but people need to be aware of what Steam can do with "your" library of games.

#8 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 31 December 2013 - 13:26

Googled it and found this from September 2013

http://store.steampo...com/news/11428/

#9 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 31 December 2013 - 13:28

i can see a lot of people freak out about this but the fact comes down to, if you read before you buy anything on steam. they never guarantee that a game will be available forever. so if you buy a game that is not popular and you do not install it but keep it in your library, eventually you just will not be able to download that game anymore because they cannot afford to keep it around as it does not generate revenue.

#10 Don't Feed the Wolfie

Don't Feed the Wolfie

Don't sugarcoat it because you'll probably eat that too

• Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 14:40

Googled it and found this from September 2013

http://store.steampo...com/news/11428/

exactly, everyone who has this game in their list was sent this link to the news announcement fully explaining the problem. This is a non issue and was handled with the utmost professionalism from Valve/Steam's side. Both SP and MP is offline and locked to server bound DRM, so if you bought the game you've been had by SquareEnix. 

#11 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 31 December 2013 - 18:19

Well, if it has single player, and I have bought it.

I would just download a crack and play the single player aspect.

-1 for both companies.

#12 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 31 December 2013 - 18:33

The problem with keeping the game on users' libraries is that Valve would also have to keep the actual game on their servers for users to be able to download it, which would be weird for a game that doesn't actually work at all.

Maybe they should have warned users beforehand to give them time to download it before the removal, just in case they wanted to keep it for whatever reason.

#13 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 31 December 2013 - 19:02

Did they reverse this, because I can buy it.

#14 briangw

briangw

The best damn band in the land!!!

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 31 December 2013 - 19:09

Order of War: Challenge was like a DLC to the game (the MP version)

#15 vetMathachew

Mathachew

Wise beyond my youth... that's what she said!

Posted 31 December 2013 - 19:09

Order of War != Order of War: Challenge