Order of War: first game erased from all Steam user libraries

You do not buy the game. you buy a licence to play it.

So essentially we are renting the games. Like we always have. It even applies to disc based versions as well. They just introduced the internet authentication to enforce the fact that you don't own the game, just merely a licence (right) to play it.

People complained because they have the conception that they own the games,

It's the same as pay TV, you don't even own the decoder and dish even if it is inside your home. You merely pay to have paytv delivered to your home. Heck Telstra owns the phone line that is connected right to my home phone even though I pay a renting fee monthly for it. Mobile phone is different is rightly stated in the agreement that you outright own it after you finish a contract with the telco.

This isn't new. It has been around. People just don't read and expect paying means to own it.

Wow, you are a publishers wet dream. Do you feel the same way about console games? Don't get me wrong. I have no issue with what steam did here since the game was unplayable anyway but the consumer should not allow this type of practice to happen as it gives the publishers a bit too much power. What's to stop a company from releasing a new game every year and turning off the servers of the old one? Obviously this is an extreme example but when you buy a game most people assume that they now own the game, not some 100 page txt file which is the license.

Wow, you are a publishers wet dream. Do you feel the same way about console games? Don't get me wrong. I have no issue with what steam did here since the game was unplayable anyway but the consumer should not allow this type of practice to happen as it gives the publishers a bit too much power. What's to stop a company from releasing a new game every year and turning off the servers of the old one? Obviously this is an extreme example but when you buy a game most people assume that they now own the game, not some 100 page txt file which is the license.

He's a wet dream because he read steams terms and conditions and understands them before clicking "Accept"?

It doesn't matter what you think is right or wrong, you declared to Valve that you agree with their terms when you signed up for an account.

You do not buy the game. you buy a licence to play it.

So essentially we are renting the games. Like we always have. It even applies to disc based versions as well. They just introduced the internet authentication to enforce the fact that you don't own the game, just merely a licence (right) to play it.

People complained because they have the conception that they own the games,

It's the same as pay TV, you don't even own the decoder and dish even if it is inside your home. You merely pay to have paytv delivered to your home. Heck Telstra owns the phone line that is connected right to my home phone even though I pay a renting fee monthly for it. Mobile phone is different is rightly stated in the agreement that you outright own it after you finish a contract with the telco.

This isn't new. It has been around. People just don't read and expect paying means to own it.

Are we talking about all consoles here? because one could argue a semantic here

If I buy a game, and not a console, therefore not accepting the console terms and conditions of any eula..........

(Hypothetically of course)

Are we talking about all consoles here? because one could argue a semantic here

If I buy a game, and not a console, therefore not accepting the console terms and conditions of any eula..........

(Hypothetically of course)

It doesn't apply to physical copies and consoles are out. However if you read steams terms and conditions you don't completely own the game, you bought the rights to play it, a right steam reserves to take back.

• Like 1

It doesn't apply to physical copies and consoles are out. However if you read steams terms and conditions you don't completely own the game, you bought the rights to play it, a right steam reserves to take back.

ok ty

I can't see this being a bad thing on Steam's part.

Leaving it up causes Steam a few support nightmares (my game doesn't work, waaah, etc), but taking it down just means Steam isn't responsible anymore, go see Square Enix.