#1 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• 7,726 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 31 December 2013 - 15:41

Yup, This Is Still The World's Most Attractive Racing Game

ku-xlarge.jpg[

At this point, I'm convinced that Project CARS isn't actually a racing game. It's a playable art installation that lets you take pretty pictures of cars. And things other than cars.

I mean, sh**, look at this:

ku-xlarge.jpg

It's grass. From a racing game. I'm looking at grass from the side of the road from a racing game and I want to weep with joy at how utterly beautiful it is. Or there's this:

ku-xlarge.jpg

That's not even part of the actual game, for heaven's sake. It's all the stuff on the sidelines that you're supposed to ignore. Why does everything in this game look so good?!

The blog post announcing this new batch of screenshots boasts that they "show purely in-game footage that has not been made in any special photo mode, using no post-processing or filters that aren't available during the actual gameplay." I'm just having trouble imagining myself playing the actual game with all this eyecandy going on. Hopefully it all looks a lot worse in motion. Anyway, here's some more shots:

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

CARS hits PC, Xbox One, PS4, and Wii U (yes, Wii U) late next year.

Project CARS Community Gallery #76 [Official Site, via DSOGaming]

Source: Kotaku

#2 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 33,591 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 15:47

It's #### like this that makes me want to build a decent gaming PC

#3 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 35,474 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 15:48

Consoles will always get car modelling as good as PC titles, it's the scenery that is always sacrificed.

#4 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 10,909 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 15:50

It's **** like this that makes me want to build a decent gaming PC

Yeah. I'm not a huge gamer these days so a console suits me just fine, but when I see stuff like this I get a bit envious of the people able to run the game maxed out. When I saw the second screenshot I was almost certain I was looking at a photo. Same for the 5th photo down.

EDIT: Huh, I missed the bit where quoting Nik turned **** in to the uncensored word. Fixed that. :laugh:

#5 vetRadishTM

RadishTM

Neowinian Racer

• 25,248 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 15:57

Consoles will always get car modelling as good as PC titles, it's the scenery that is always sacrificed.

So true.

#6 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,268 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 15:57

The fact that this game is comming to Steam OS is gonna be a huge push forward to the Linux platform.

or so i hope for.

#7 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,126 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:01

Can not wait for this! Wish Id bought into it before they closed the alpha/beta buy in option.

#8 OP Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• 7,726 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:03

Well, I think this is the key line: "show purely in-game footage that has not been made in any special photo mode, using no post-processing or filters that aren't available during the actual gameplay."

Consoles will take a car screenshot and post-process the heck out of it to get something that looks great.  Apparently Cars can do it right in game.  Big difference.

#9 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:04

Can not wait for this! Wish Id bought into it before they closed the alpha/beta buy in option.

Same, I think I read the thread about Project CARS on Neowin like one day before they shut that down.

I thought they were going to be on Steam at some point though. I could use a good PC racing game that isn't Need for Speed.

#10 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,126 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:05

Same, I think I read the thread about Project CARS on Neowin like one day before they shut that down.

I thought they were going to be on Steam at some point though. I could use a good PC racing game that isn't Need for Speed.

Theres Asseto Corsa for now.

#11 OP Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• 7,726 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:06

#12 Haaa-Choo

Haaa-Choo

Take a swing, please do.

• 5,081 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:11

mmm, this looks so tasty! come to me my child.

#13 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,464 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:15

just went down through that gallery and its easily the best looking video game i have ever seen. its just amazing.

#14 Sszecret

Sszecret

Neowinian

• 633 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 800

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:22

I'm staring at that Mercedes 450SL (4th screenshot from the bottom) and can't believe how good it looks. I need a proper gaming PC. 

#15 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 7,660 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:31

I was lucky enough to buy into the public beta before they closed it and have been playing it for quite some time. It truly is a remarkable game.  The graphics are very impressive, but I don't think they are as good as those screenshots make them out to be.  Unless I'm missing something in the video settings, but I'm pretty sure I have everything maxed.  I have 680s in SLI, so if there's more I can do, I'd love to push it to the limits.

The physics in the game are really good.  It's to the point where it's basically impossible to play this game on a keyboard, as you'll spin the tires and lose traction in every corner.  I'll be buying a proper wheel soon, so I can get the full experience.

The sounds are pretty good, but do need some work. The McLaren F1 has a nice low growl that makes my subwoofer shake the walls.  Love it!

The biggest flaw is the menu structure.  It's ungodly bad.  They've recently redone it a few times, which made it better, but it's still a complete wreck.  But to be fair, the menu isn't the focal point of the game at this point.  I'm sure they'll get it straightened out before final release.

I bought Assetto Corsa about a week ago on the Steam sale, on word that it had better sound and physics than pCars, but that couldn't be further from the truth.  The sounds are not as accurate, and the physics are arcadey.  That game is perfectly playable on a keyboard, and the cars just don't handle with realism.  It reminds me of Gran Turismo or NFS.  They are very very early in their development cycle, so there's a ton of potential for that game to also be amazing.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!