Yup, This Is Still The World's Most Attractive Racing Game

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 1,958 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:49

More like: more AAA titles for Linux means more time developers spend optimizing drivers and games for the platform; also if there's a stable and very advanced platform where people can play games without worrying about paying for Windows or other nuances, people will go for it; one of the main reasons people play console games is because it's simple enough to buy the hardware and play the game, without installing anything or else.

People wont change from Windows to Linux in a day, but this can shake waters. Remember when if you wanted to play a really cool and newer game the Arcardes were the only solution until consoles game the gamers the economy, comfort and power to play those same games in their houses.

Playing games at home has untold numbers of advantages over playing games in an arcade, not the least of which is being able to play in your boxers.

What part of Linux gaming offers that much of an advantage to encourage an exodus?

#32 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• 8,050 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:50

Looks amazing.

#33 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

• 4,928 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:01

Playing games at home has untold numbers of advantages over playing games in an arcade, not the least of which is being able to play in your boxers.

What part of Linux gaming offers that much of an advantage to encourage an exodus?

It's free is a start.  Valve may be able to build up a sufficient catalog to make it a viable option, over time.

There are a lot of people using DX11 vidcards on a DX9 OS...wouldn't have that problem with SteamOS.

#34 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 16,609 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 02 January 2014 - 14:29

Thankfully I am building a new PC later on this year, and I aim to build it at this game on Very High everything.

Really regretting not supporting this game when they initially announced it now.
After many, many years of hating them, I am really starting to love simulation racing games.

I am assuming it will also support my Logitech GT wheel. I also have another older Logitech wheel, and also the MS Wireless Wheel. So 1 out of the 3 should work, even if they are a bit older.
Very much looking forward to this game and a new PC.

#35 MillionVoltss

MillionVoltss

Neowinian Senior

• 2,246 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 16:48

Ive already got the Funded Beta on steam which was released a While ago and its quite interesting popping on now and then to see the progress of the game, There are LOADS of tracks, all progressing along ( Japan always my fav ). Not to keen on the way saving car setups works, few clipping bugs ie Go Karts on normal tracks. Still on a 560ti / 1080p so cant say what Ultra settings looks like as my computer cant run without issues but it does look beautiful and the handling works well, each car has character, there aren't so many cars yet but they look great inside and out, SO MUCH detail. It supports all steering wheels with feedback, Xbox 360 Wired is my controller and its ok, never going to compare to a Wheel.

#36 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,264 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:45

Free being one of the key factors; high performance and stable being the other ones i look forward to have in a game station; Steam OS has the same power factor has the consoles had when they were introduced in a arcade world: if done properly, one can set up a incredible power horse game station running Linux / Steam OS just to play games, without sacrificing anything because it's running Windows, just like a modern console but with much better hardware and graphics. Mind you I'm not an anti-Windows zealot; what i mean is if Linux gets a major push one can run it just as a very simple base platform for games, consuming minimal CPU, RAM resources and leave all the resources for games.

Linux is pretty powerful in enterprise servers because of this same reason: you can have a very stable, high performance OS with little resources consumption; image the same for a game platform.

#37 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• 6,212 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:07

I can see this game being the new Crysis (as in bringing all but the most hardcore gaming rigs to their knees). I think this game is a must buy for me on PC (Y). While I appreciate realism I hope this game is not unplayable on a keyboard though? I know the hardcore racing fans will cringe at the thought of playing a game like that with a keyboard, but as long as it's an option everyone should be happy right? I'm a fan of all types of racing games, from Forza/GT (play Forza controller only and GT a mixture of wheel or controller...I only have a basic PS wheel but it does the job well enough) all the way down to NFS. I'm not a hardcore racing fan, but I love cars and car racing games. I shouldn't be denied the pleasure of games like this just because I don't have a steering wheel rig setup for it. My 2 cents anyway.

#38 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• 7,474 posts
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:55

Hello

Too much focus on graphics in the genre nowadays.

Exactly.

My thoughts on this is: Who cares? They can make it as pretty as they want and as beautiful and power sucking as technologically possible but how about actual gameplay? As in driving?

Take this for example: You see a awesome car (Im not a exotic car fan so I wont name anything just to look stupid :p ) and its beautiful and you know its fast but you cant drive it because you dont know how to drive that car to its full potential (not only that, but taking in account laws and other things).

My point is I perfer this game to look like 1999 called and to have great controls and gameplay :)

#39 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,125 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 18:34

I do hope that its the complete package to rival GT/Forza with a further flourish of what makes PC the ultimate platform, options!!

Lots of tweaks to races and setups and the ability to edit layouts etc.

Custom liveries via upload and importing of images etc (I want to be able to photoshop me up a logo and use it on cars in game etc).

Regular updates via DLC such as cars/tracks and/or community steam workshop etc.

With a range thats casual controller racer to full wheel, stick, pedals and clutch sim racer.

I know that`s maybe asking the impossible, but im so desperate for something that isn`t a console racer or some dated ultra sim right now its not funny!!

#40 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,125 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 18:38

Take this for example: You see a awesome car (Im not a exotic car fan so I wont name anything just to look stupid :p ) and its beautiful and you know its fast but you cant drive it because you dont know how to drive that car to its full potential (not only that, but taking in account laws and other things).

Few games you can get to this at moment. Forza with ALL the aids turned off and in an R1 or X setup car and its deffo a bit of steppe learning curve, if you dont plan on spinning the tyres lots.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!