Photo

Definitive Best *Free* Antivirus 2014

antivirus free poll

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll: Favorite *Free* Antivirus

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Your Choice?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:33

It's a new year, and a new poll for Definitive Free Best Antivirus. The 2013 thread can be found here.

This is a poll for best Free antivirus, there is a separate thread for paid antiviruses here.

If your choice of Best Free Antivirus is not listed, please choose Other and specify in the comments.

#2 Riggers

Riggers

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 06 January 2014 - 16:02

Couple of issues which i think could be addressed. First make peeps aware that the free versions of Emsisoft and Malwarebytes do not scan in real-time, manual scans only.

Also you have the title as "Definitive Best *Free* AntiVirus 2014 then on the page "Favourite *Free* Antivirus". Then in the paid catagory they are both the same! I also think "Definitive" is maybe to strong a word to use.

Anyway at the moment (for free real time protection) i`m liking the free Qihoo 360 Internet Security, it`s from China (like Baidu) but uses the Bitdefender engine + sigs along with its own, plus cloud and has a built in Sandbox . The Chinese version also incorporates Avira i think...

For On-Demand scanning i like Hitman Pro, among others...

#3 Copernic

Copernic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 06 January 2014 - 16:12

Please add:

Qihoo 360 Internet Security

Baidu Antivirus (Baidu Cloud Security Engine + Avira Antivirus)

#4 msr714

msr714

Neowinian

Posted 06 January 2014 - 16:22

F-Secure works well for me.

#5 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:48

Hello,

This is the free anti-virus message thread.  F-Secure is a commercial product, so it's listed in the commercial message thread.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

F-Secure works well for me.

#6 +Medfordite

Medfordite

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Axiom

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:01

Is it wrong that I had to look in my system tray to remember what I was using?  lol

I have had good luck with Panda Cloud Antivirus myself but know there are plenty of free ones out there that do just as good of a job. :)

#7 Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:48

I shall be watching this in hopes of replacing mine.....running MSE currently but I grow tired of it not updating. I run W8 and have auto update to notify me before installing, and I rarely shut my computer down......as a result I have to either manually update MSE whenever a DB update comes out, or wait until I reboot to auto-install the update. Crappy design IMO.....I installed MSE separately from W8, so it's auto-update function should be separated too.

#8 +dreamsburnred

dreamsburnred

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 625

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:38

Love bitdefender free. No nagging like Avast.

#9 Raa

Raa

Resident something-or-rather

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:35

Happy enough with MSE, but I always advise my customers they get what they pay for (and continue to recommend a paid license of NOD32)

#10 +dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SII

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:43

Does MalwareBytes really fit on that list? It's not an anti-virus so much as it is a scanner to tell you if you do have a virus or not. There's no active protection unless you have the PRO version, as far as I can tell.

#11 Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:53

Love bitdefender free. No nagging like Avast.

Tried it, uninstalled it within 10 minutes......no nagging is great, but 0 options to configure is horrid design. I like to be able to tell my AV what directories to exclude and be able to control when and how it scans. BitDefender free offers 0 options at all (other than turning the scanner itself on or off).

#12 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy Nexus running CyanogenMod 11

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:34

I use Windows Defender on Windows 8, which is basically Security Essentials.

After having a computer for so long you learn where to trust .exe's from and not to run random unknown programs that request admin rights. For anything i'm unsure about and really want to run i have a virtual machine.

I feel if you educate someone on how to use a PC safely its not really needed, however Windows Defender / Security Essentials is good for piece of mind as it is included with Windows and updates often.

My parents have learned never to open email attachments (that end in .jpg.exe or .exe for example) even from people they trust, and not to install random things a website might ask them to. Their PC has been clean for the last 10+ years too.

#13 He's Dead Jim

He's Dead Jim

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:05

I recently tried Avast Free, and found it to be great for blocking tracking cookies. It gives 28 days and then asks the user to register for continued use. Fortunately I havent had to deal with any virii during this tral.

#14 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:37

I'm going to give Qihoo a try seeing as Bitdefender free *still* prevents Windows 8 from logging in, after almost 18 months of the issue being reported on certain configurations.

Want a fix? Pay for it.  Logic.  Why would I pay for something when the free version renders Windows inoperable?

#15 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 February 2014 - 18:22

My vote has not changed one whit since Windows 7 - there is a minor addendum, though.  Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows 7 and earlier), Windows Defender (Windows 8 and 8.1), Forefront (enterprises) and System Center Endpoint Protection (servers) all use the same virus definitions and are the same basic program; further, except for Forefront, all are, in fact, free (that includes Endpoint Protection)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!