Photo

should I go with 2 devices: tablet and laptop?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 +ultimate99

ultimate99

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 January 2014 - 00:50

I mainly would like a laptop with a pen to highlight/annotate papers, use it as "scrap paper" when studying in grad school. I already bought my wife a Dell Venue 8 Pro, which is an awesome little device. I was thinking, would it be a good idea to use the tablet when i want to jot down handwritten notes and use a regular laptop for everything else?

I've reading around these forums, reading reviews, watching youtube and finally found that a Thinkpad yoga would be the best compromise. However, I choose a normal laptop, then I have more options.

#2 +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:21

Have you considered a tablet?

#3 GotBored

GotBored

Moved to NeoGAF

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:12

What about a Surface Pro its basically a laptop in tablet form.

#4 +zhiVago

zhiVago

World Citizen

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:17

Have you seen Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro? It offers the best of both worlds imho.

#5 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 5 16 GB

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:22

Totally agree on the Surface Pro or Pro 2. It is one of the best apps for note taking. The hardware is quite beefy, and if you complement it with a type/touch keyboard, it gives you the best of both tablet and laptop modes.

The original Surface Pro 128GB is $599 at Best buy and Microsoft store. http://www.neowin.ne...ro-for-just-599

#6 +gaburko

gaburko

Неоуиниън

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:50

Too heavy. I also considered going that route, but the Surface is essentially a (too) thick tablet and a (too) small laptop at the same time. Too much of a compromise. Supposedly now at CES a few more interesting hybrids will be revealed. Its a surface pro specs in a surface form the thing that people are waiting for.

#7 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:52

Too heavy. I also considered going that route, but the Surface is essentially a (too) thick tablet and a (too) small laptop at the same time. Too much of a compromise. Supposedly now at CES a few more interesting hybrids will be revealed. Its a surface pro specs in a surface form the thing that people are waiting for.

This is quite a common complaint for Surface Pro (and Surface). Makes no sense to me - I use this in tablet form and laptop mode, and it's light considering the specs (and build quality on Surface Pro is phenomenal). You really don't notice the weight, at least I don't. Is there another hybrid out there that weighs as little as the Surface Pro and has equivalent specs (or better)? Maybe a handful of devices, if that. 

#8 +gaburko

gaburko

Неоуиниън

Posted 02 January 2014 - 14:02

This is quite a common complaint for Surface Pro (and Surface). Makes no sense to me - I use this in tablet form and laptop mode, and it's light considering the specs (and build quality on Surface Pro is phenomenal). You really don't notice the weight, at least I don't. Is there another hybrid out there that weighs as little as the Surface Pro and has equivalent specs (or better)? Maybe a handful of devices, if that. 

Its nowhere near an iPad in terms of weight and like it or not its the iPad that defines the tablet category. The Dell venue pro 11 is much closer to a true tablet and this is what the surface pro should have been. As said, at CES next week a few more interesting devices should come out.

#9 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 January 2014 - 14:25

Its nowhere near an iPad in terms of weight and like it or not its the iPad that defines the tablet category. The Dell venue pro 11 is much closer to a true tablet and this is what the surface pro should have been. As said, at CES next week a few more interesting devices should come out.

If you want to compare to an iPad, you compare a Surface.

iPad 4 size: 241.2 x 185.7 x 9.4 (mm); Surface 2 size: 274 x 171 x 8.9 (mm)

iPad 4 weight: 662g; Surface 2 weight: 680g

When you jump up to a Surface Pro you now have a full laptop that can run actual programs vs. just apps.

Macbook Air 11" size: 300 x 192 x 17 (mm); Surface Pro 2 size: 274.5 x 173 x 13.5 (mm)

Macbook Air 11: weight: 1.08 kg; Surface Pro 2 weight: 0.9 kg.

I traded my Macbook Pro/iPad combo for a Surface Pro and couldn't be happier.  

#10 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 January 2014 - 15:12

The Surface Pro (which is what I was referring to in my post) doesn't even compete with the iPad. The iPad has no real productivity features that the Surface Pro has - it's on a restricted OS, whereas the Surface Pro is a full fledged laptop that runs full Windows. Intel's next iteration of chips Broadwell should be nice to enable smaller devices.

#11 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928

Posted 02 January 2014 - 15:15

if you can find one, a Surface Pro 2 is a solution for both options, its a very powerful tablet that has full capabilities of a business laptop. The base model of the Surface Pro 2 has the same specs (except for storage space) as what we use for our base model computers where I work) and the Surface Pro 2 is capable of playing Borderlands 2 if you really wanted it to. The device is rather powerful and yet still very mobile and ready to go as a tablet.

#12 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 4 16GB by LG

Posted 02 January 2014 - 16:23

If you want to compare to an iPad, you compare a Surface.

iPad 4 size: 241.2 x 185.7 x 9.4 (mm); Surface 2 size: 274 x 171 x 8.9 (mm)

iPad 4 weight: 662g; Surface 2 weight: 680g

When you jump up to a Surface Pro you now have a full laptop that can run actual programs vs. just apps.

Macbook Air 11" size: 300 x 192 x 17 (mm); Surface Pro 2 size: 274.5 x 173 x 13.5 (mm)

Macbook Air 11: weight: 1.08 kg; Surface Pro 2 weight: 0.9 kg.

I traded my Macbook Pro/iPad combo for a Surface Pro and couldn't be happier.  

At the risk of sounding like I am trolling:

Weight/Battery life:

Surface 2: 680g/15hrs (

Surface Pro 2: 0.9kg/6hrs

MacBook Air 11": 1.1kg/10hrs

iPad Air: 469g/10hrs

Battery life is super important to me whilst on the move.  Whether it is important to the OP is a different matter.

Disclosure: I have don't have an Apple computer, an iPad or a Surface branded device.

#13 EmbraceNext

EmbraceNext

Neowinian

Posted 02 January 2014 - 16:45

If you are going for notes or type of scratch paper, then get the Surface 2 pro.  I have the Surface Pro and it is amazing!  I also have the Yoga 2 Pro, it IS a laptop.  So when you say normal laptop, the Yoga is that and a bit more.   However, I don't know if it supports a stylus like the Surface for taking notes.  The surface stylus obviously doesn't work with it.  I hate those rubber tip ones.

If notes is your biggest need, go with a Surface 2 pro.

#14 OP +ultimate99

ultimate99

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 January 2014 - 16:45

I had a surface pro, good device, but too small for me to do a lot of work on it for extended period of time. I had hit hooked to external monitor, kb/mouse but that's not feasible anymore. I returned it, anyway.

Considered the Thinkpad Yoga, but sadly the physical buttons on gone and these laptop tend to non-user expandable. So I have decided to have 2 separate devices. The V8P is awesome. Now I need to find a T420 replacement.

#15 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 January 2014 - 16:49

At the risk of sounding like I am trolling:

Weight/Battery life:
Surface 2: 680g/15hrs (
Surface Pro 2: 0.9kg/6hrs
MacBook Air 11": 1.1kg/10hrs
iPad Air: 469g/10hrs

Battery life is super important to me whilst on the move.  Whether it is important to the OP is a different matter.

Disclosure: I have don't have an Apple computer, an iPad or a Surface branded device.

Absolutely!  You should definitely look at the specs that matter to the way you will use the device.

I'm not sure where the 6hr battery life number comes from but some independent testing has shown over 8hrs after a recent firmware update:

Microsoft promised a 75 percent increase in battery life for Surface Pro 2 over the original, and the company delivered. In our review we noted that the Surface Pro 2 lasted 7 hours, 33 minutes on the Verge Battery Test, which cycles through a series of websites and high-res images with screen brightness set to 65 percent. Anandtech has discovered that a recently released Surface Pro 2 firmware update has pushed the battery life even further.

In our own Verge Battery Test we can confirm that the battery life on the Surface Pro 2 has increased to 8 hours, 51 minutes following the firmware update, an almost 20 percent increase. Anandtech notes that the improvements appear to be related to a change that lets the Marvell Wi-Fi chipset use less power. The improvements are impressive and help improve the viability of using the device all day as a tablet or a laptop. Microsoft’s Surface 2 tablet, running on Windows RT 8.1, has not received similar battery improvements in its firmware update, meaning the Pro 2 outpaces the ARM-based model on battery life.

http://www.theverge....firmware-update

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!