Photo

should I go with 2 devices: tablet and laptop?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4 16GB by LG

Posted 02 January 2014 - 16:55

Absolutely!  You should definitely look at the specs that matter to the way you will use the device.

I'm not sure where the 6hr battery life number comes from but some independent testing has shown over 8hrs after a recent firmware update:

http://www.theverge....firmware-update

Seriously 8 hours? It's being advertised with 5 on the sites I saw.  I looked on Engadget which was saying 6.

8 hours is decent and would put the Surface 2 Pro back on my list.

#17 JasCola

JasCola

Neowinian

Posted 02 January 2014 - 17:21

Seriously 8 hours? It's being advertised with 5 on the sites I saw.  I looked on Engadget which was saying 6.

I own the Surface Pro 2 and from experience can always get between 8-9 hours of realistic battery life. My typical usage is VPN'd into work using remote desktop and listening to music while working. If I cut out the music or VPN and just focus on normal browsing, and the occasional video online I can get right at 10 hours - light usage.
 Since the latest firmware update- the battery life has decreased to about 6-7 hours- but microsoft said they are fixing that very soon- so I expect to be back to where I was close to 9 hours.

#18 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 January 2014 - 17:30

Seriously 8 hours? It's being advertised with 5 on the sites I saw. I looked on Engadget which was saying 6.

Ahh, I just saw the Engadget review, although they do state that it was 6:30 hours of uninterrupted video playback with WiFi on at 65% screen brightness. So what you do with it is obviously important too.

#19 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 02 January 2014 - 17:57

From just web browsing, office, you can easily get 10 hours. I primarily use mine for media consumption, Office (Word/Excel) and VPN'ing into work (running PuTTY). 

#20 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 4 16GB by LG

Posted 02 January 2014 - 20:07

I just read that the Surface Pro 2 is now shipping with a 1.9GHz i5.

http://answers.micro...n=1388644112573

#21 +gaburko

gaburko

Неоуиниън

Posted 02 January 2014 - 21:37

The Surface Pro (which is what I was referring to in my post) doesn't even compete with the iPad. The iPad has no real productivity features that the Surface Pro has - it's on a restricted OS, whereas the Surface Pro is a full fledged laptop that runs full Windows. Intel's next iteration of chips Broadwell should be nice to enable smaller devices.

I am not commenting on the laptop features of the surface pro, but on the fact that the tablet part of the hybrid is a major trade off. If you tout it as a tablet, then the iPad IS a competitor and this is where it simply loses the battle. Its not a surprise why MSFT doesn't even reveal sales numbers of the surface as they are still low. And whether a relatively fan-site (like this one) loves them doest make too much of a difference on the overall picture.

As said, in my view the dell venue pro is a much better proposition

#22 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 02 January 2014 - 22:18

I am not commenting on the laptop features of the surface pro, but on the fact that the tablet part of the hybrid is a major trade off. If you tout it as a tablet, then the iPad IS a competitor and this is where it simply loses the battle. Its not a surprise why MSFT doesn't even reveal sales numbers of the surface as they are still low. And whether a relatively fan-site (like this one) loves them doest make too much of a difference on the overall picture.

As said, in my view the dell venue pro is a much better proposition

Just because of the size of the Surface Pro? The iPad and Surface Pro are absolutely in different market segments, and like I said, Surface Pro does run a full fledged OS. If I want a device based on value, I'd go for the Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 (or something along those lines). These Android tablets are typically cheaper than the iPad's and offer similar functionality.

Nope, doesn't matter if it sells or not. The fact is the Surface Pro 2 works for me, the weight isn't a problem for me, and it'is a much better value compared to a iPad. Let's see an iPad Air 128 GB for $799, locked into an ecosystem where I can't run the apps I want or for $200 more (Surface Pro 2 128GB), a device with much more functionality and far more powerful? Yeah, that's a very difficult question for me :rofl: . Before you go calling me a fanboy, I use iOS, Android and Windows - I just pick devices that work for me. Do I care if the Surface Pro is selling well or not? Nope, couldn't care less. I will say the second generation of Surface products are in limited quantities everywhere - whether or not that's a good thing, Microsoft leaves that up to your interpretation. 

#23 +gaburko

gaburko

Неоуиниън

Posted 02 January 2014 - 22:31

Just because of the size of the Surface Pro? The iPad and Surface Pro are absolutely in different market segments, and like I said, Surface Pro does run a full fledged OS. If I want a device based on value, I'd go for the Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 (or something along those lines). These Android tablets are typically cheaper than the iPad's and offer similar functionality.

No, they are not in a different segment. MSFT positions the surface as BOTH a tablet and a laptop. Hence the "hybrid". This is supposed to be better as its dual in function. The fact that the majority of buyers dont vote with their wallets in this way is telling. The fact that it works for you is great and i am glad you are happy with that choice. However, this isnt the reality in the marketplace overall. I am still optimistic though, hopefully now with what will be the second batch of hybrids things should improve much more

#24 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 04 January 2014 - 14:59

No, they are not in a different segment. MSFT positions the surface as BOTH a tablet and a laptop. Hence the "hybrid". This is supposed to be better as its dual in function. The fact that the majority of buyers dont vote with their wallets in this way is telling. The fact that it works for you is great and i am glad you are happy with that choice. However, this isnt the reality in the marketplace overall. I am still optimistic though, hopefully now with what will be the second batch of hybrids things should improve much more

If that were the case they wouldn't make a Surface (non-pro).  If you compare an iPad to the Surface then I see your point.  The fact is you can add a little more size and get the full laptop functionality is a great tradeoff.

#25 Michael Scrip

Michael Scrip

Neowinian

Posted 04 January 2014 - 15:19

Too heavy. I also considered going that route, but the Surface is essentially a (too) thick tablet and a (too) small laptop at the same time. Too much of a compromise. Supposedly now at CES a few more interesting hybrids will be revealed. Its a surface pro specs in a surface form the thing that people are waiting for.

That's my opinion of the Surface Pro 2 as well.  It tries to be both a tablet and a laptop... but the laptop part is too small for me.

10.6" laptops weren't very popular before because of the small screen size... so why would they be now?

Personally... the smallest I could go on something that is supposed to be my laptop would be 13.3"

I'd say for me... my perfect solution would be a 14" laptop for computing duties... and something like an iPad Mini for entertainment and reading. Both devices do what they're supposed to do... and I really wouldn't feel the extra weight of the tablet in my bag when I traveled.

Like you said... trying to combine two things into one ends up having a lot of compromises.

#26 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 04 January 2014 - 15:49

Hello,

like it or not its the iPad that defines the tablet category.

Um, not really, its the market that defines the tablet category.

The iPad was the only tablet back when it was released so yup, it did in that moment define the tablet category.
But now, Android tablets cheap and expensive are sold like crazy and those define the tablet category.

Normal people (not on Neowin, sorry :p ) want cheap, non expensive stuff.

Personally, I agree with a lot of people here: The Surface Pro sounds what you are looking for :)

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!