PS4 outsold Xbox One by 166,000 consoles in UK last year

congrats to Sony, I don't think anyone doubted Sony would do well from the start and I suspect they may stay in front unless MS do drop their price. I do find it quite weird that out of all most the console gamers I know, they all went MS bar one yet MS are still quite a way behind.

I have to admit, now playing the PS4 for a bit I am happy with my choice, it may cost me ?100 more but just the little "Xbox, Record That" is enough to keep me happy. Maybe it was a few freak occurances but the recording software on the PS just seemed to never work properly at all. Like most have said, motion gaming isn't quite good enough (yet?) but the voice commands I have really started to use. I think that's because MS have designed it to make the console easier to use that way then just using the controller but I still really like it with this generation.

Voice commands is a software feature as both have microphones to be able to utilize voice commands. Sony could introduce more voice commands via a later update, I see the current advantage but I think when purchasing a console which is supposed to have a life span of 5-7 years current advantage in software means very little. PS4 has the better hardware and this is what would be swaying buyers in my opinion in terms of the consoles themselves.. The Kinect 2.0 is better than the PS4 Eye in my opinion so that's something the Xbox One would have to sway buyers in its favor.

I really dont understand why people in the X1 fanbase always use the voice commands as the sole advantage of the X1, its only software and it has other factors which make it a wanted console too.

Voice commands is a software feature as both have microphones to be able to utilize voice commands. Sony could introduce more voice commands via a later update, I see the current advantage but I think when purchasing a console which is supposed to have a life span of 5-7 years current advantage in software means very little. PS4 has the better hardware and this is what would be swaying buyers in my opinion in terms of the consoles themselves.. The Kinect 2.0 is better than the PS4 Eye in my opinion so that's something the Xbox One would have to sway buyers in its favor.

I really dont understand why people in the X1 fanbase always use the voice commands as the sole advantage of the X1, its only software and it has other factors which make it a wanted console too.

Because right now, it is a benefit. Like I said, Voice Commands were in the 360 but I never felt they were good enough and hence never used them. This time around the OS, IMO, seems to be designed to be used via voice commands. Whilst it may be software and entirely plausable, I think it will be a lot of work for Sony to get it working to the same level the XB1 uses when it isnt even at a level the 360 was 2 or 3 years ago. If time is relevant in terms of development on this feature then Sony is 2 years at best behind on MS, so they can spend 2 years catching up to where the XB1 is today whilst MS improve with perhaps something new.

Like I said, whilst people can counter the Pro that the XB1 has with "Sony could do that too", until they do it remains a benefit and a pro because Sony don't.

Because right now, it is a benefit. Like I said, Voice Commands were in the 360 but I never felt they were good enough and hence never used them. This time around the OS, IMO, seems to be designed to be used via voice commands. Whilst it may be software and entirely plausable, I think it will be a lot of work for Sony to get it working to the same level the XB1 uses when it isnt even at a level the 360 was 2 or 3 years ago. If time is relevant in terms of development on this feature then Sony is 2 years at best behind on MS, so they can spend 2 years catching up to where the XB1 is today whilst MS improve with perhaps something new.

Like I said, whilst people can counter the Pro that the XB1 has with "Sony could do that too", until they do it remains a benefit and a pro because Sony don't.

Sorry but Sony had Voice Recognition at least since 2007 EU (2008 NA) on the PS3 with games like Singstar which allowed you to control the whole game via voice. It even supported 20 different languages on release and you could search the entire song list via voice. Sony also had a Voice and Head tracking system for people with disabilities which allowed you to play PS3 just by voice and head tracking which turned you around ingame. For example in a first person shooter you could say 'Walk' and you would start walking forward. Turn your head to the left and your player ingame would turn to the left. Say 'Sprint' your player would sprint. Shoot, etc etc. All the voice commands were there to control a first person shooter (I think KillZone was the example I saw) just by using voice and head movement. So Sony aren't behind, I could say they are ahead but because voice recognition is a simple technology these days even your phones have them its really just recording different sounds and attaching them to a command so I dont see how one can be ahead of the other.

Sorry but Sony had Voice Recognition at least since 2007 EU (2008 NA) on the PS3 with games like Singstar which allowed you to control the whole game via voice. It even supported 20 different languages on release and you could search the entire song list via voice. Sony also had a Voice and Head tracking system for people with disabilities which allowed you to play PS3 just by voice and head tracking which turned you around ingame. For example in a first person shooter you could say 'Walk' and you would start walking forward. Turn your head to the left and your player ingame would turn to the left. Say 'Sprint' your player would sprint. Shoot, etc etc. All the voice commands were there to control a first person shooter (I think KillZone was the example I saw) just by using voice and head movement. So Sony aren't behind, I could say they are ahead but because voice recognition is a simple technology these days even your phones have them its really just recording different sounds and attaching them to a command so I dont see how one can be ahead of the other.

Maybe I am not clear enough or maybe you are missunderstanding my point but, I am well aware that voice commands have existed in games for a long time, I had one of, if not the first game on a console to use it (Socom) on the PS2 that came with a headset but that's not the benefit I am talking about. I'm talking about voice commands in terms of using the console as a whole "Xbox Record That, go to dashboard, go to friends, invite to party etc etc". Maybe I missed that feature on the PS3/4 but as far as I am aware it doesn't exist, and if it does I don't believe its as heavily used as the XB1 does.

I am not trying to make out that MS has invented the use of voice commands, I'm not even trying to suggest they are anywhere near the best at it. However unless someone can point out where I am wrong here with Sony, the XB1, and I stress in my opinion, uses it to an advantage that I do not believe Sony do.

EDIT (missed part of my point): And that because Sony haven't implemented it yet, and to retrofit this type of funtion afterwards to its UI, would take some time and leave it behind its competitor who has it pretty much nailed already because they started quite a while back. Yes with Software a lot is possible, but its time, effort and money that is required to get you there. I doubt it's something you can knock together in a week or so and achieve something with good quality. MS have been at it for years and it still needs work to be classed anywhere near perfect. 

I would also agree before anyone states it that the voice commands are very marmite, you will either get on and love it or you will hate it. I'm just stating that whilst it may be costly, the voice commands are definatly a pro to and welcomed step forward.

Voice recognition is far from simple. If it was, Sony would have had something better for ps4 than their current implementation.

MS did not invent it and neither did sony.

• Like 2

Skiver, Yes the implementation and the depth of voice control in the UI/Menus will take time I'll agree but it can be easily implemented. I'm not saying a week or two but definitely not 2 years.

I think i would chalk this up more to allocation than price gap. just look at the stock situation in the U.S.

I just did a stock lookup in the UK; Amazon, Microsoft Stores, Tesco, John Lewis,GAME (UK version of GameStop). PC World, Simple Games and few other retailers have ithe Xbox One in stock.

The PS4 has been a lot more scarce because it was released to a lot more regions, I dont think you can use the stock excuse on this one I'm afraid because stock issues with the PS4 have been discussed in detail even on these forums.

Voice recognition is far from simple. If it was, Sony would have had something better for ps4 than their current implementation.
MS did not invent it and neither did sony.

It is simple, Sony just doesn't see a big 'want' for voice control. Once its there I'm sure they would put some money behind it.

- But that's where the cookie crumbles, will the PS4 community want more voice commands? I personally would like them but its ultimately up to the larger community of PS4 users.

I just did a stock lookup in the UK; Amazon, Microsoft Stores, Tesco, John Lewis,GAME (UK version of GameStop). PC World, Simple Games and few other retailers have ithe Xbox One in stock.

The PS4 has been a lot more scarce because it was released to a lot more regions, I dont think you can use the stock excuse on this one I'm afraid because stock issues with the PS4 have been discussed in detail even on these forums.

it doesn't matter what kind of stock lookup you did today, that's not the point. the report is for November and December.

Sony is not dumb enough to risk going all in in the U.S,which is a region dominated by the competition, and put their strong regions in a vulnerable position, hence the scarce stock in the U.S since launch day, just like Microsoft is not dumb enough to leave their strong grounds in a vulnerable position by not putting every box they are able to in their biggest region.  December NPD is going to be a landslide in Xboxs favor.

• Like 1

it doesn't matter what kind of stock lookup you did today, that's not the point. the report is for November and December.

Sony is not dumb enough to risk going all in in the U.S,which is a region dominated by the competition, and put their strong regions in a vulnerable position, hence the scarce stock in the U.S, just like Microsoft is not dumb enough to leave their strong grounds in a vulnerable position by not putting every box they are able to in their biggest region.  December NPD is going to be a landslide in Xboxs favor.

Wrong again I'm afraid. Sony actually gave North America (Canada/USA) the largest shipment allocation of any other region. I guess Sony is dumb enough to go 'all in' in the U.S (maybe they didn't know it was a region dominated by the competition). Seems to have worked out fine for them.

You might be disappointed by the December NPD since vgchartz has US console sales for the week ending 21st Dec 2013 with the PS4 on 272,476 sales and the Xbox One on 206,037 sales. But who knows maybe in the 3 days before Christmas there was a large influx of Xbox One sales and it may be in the lead for the month of December.

US: http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41630/USA/

Global: http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41623/Global/

Wrong again I'm afraid. Sony actually gave North America (Canada/USA) the largest shipment allocation of any other region. I guess Sony is dumb enough to go 'all in' in the U.S (maybe they didn't know it was a region dominated by the competition). Seems to have worked out fine for them.

You might be disappointed by the December NPD since vgchartz has US console sales for the week ending 21st Dec 2013 with the PS4 on 272,476 sales and the Xbox One on 206,037 sales. But who knows maybe in the 3 days before Christmas there was a large influx of Xbox One sales and it may be in the lead for the month of December.

US: http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41630/USA/

Global: http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly/41623/Global/

vgchartz

facepalm.jpg

• Like 3

This thread is only UK sales where Xbox One was released a week before the PS4, in terms of Global Sales sales figures haven't been shared in a while.

That doesn't change my point one bit.

I expect the PS4 to outsell the X1 overall thanks to it being in more regions and I expect it to outsell the X1 in most regions due to its cheaper price. The reason I believe that is that most of the other factors are equal between the two. Both have strong brand awareness, both have a similar quality lineup of software at the moment, and both seem not have any serious manufacturing issues (apart from some launch issues on both sides)

I don't know how said that it was a sole factor of the X1, but people mention it because they like using it. Not going into comparing it to the ps4, just evaluating the feature on its own. For the people that like using that kind of stuff, MS has put together a strong feature making use of good mic hardware in Kinect and a software layer to make it all happen. Its not perfect by any means, but they put out a good beginning.

So Sony aren't behind, I could say they are ahead but because voice recognition is a simple technology these days even your phones have them its really just recording different sounds and attaching them to a command so I dont see how one can be ahead of the other.

Why are you guys arguing over who did voice commands first? Seriously, neither Sony or MS were the first to make use of it. Sony is certainly more than capable of offering such features. Maybe you could question the ps4 camera mic vs Kinect's mic, but the software side of things can be made by Sony just as MS has made theirs.

Really, its not a shot against Sony that MS was simply more interested in spending resources and time offering a more robust system at launch. I don't think its fair to knock Sony, but at the same time, I don't think its fair to dismiss what MS has done because of that.

It is simple, Sony just doesn't see a big 'want' for voice control. Once its there I'm sure they would put some money behind it.

- But that's where the cookie crumbles, will the PS4 community want more voice commands? I personally would like them but its ultimately up to the larger community of PS4 users.

Software is not simple to get right. If it were, MS would have a perfect voice system at launch. No, its a long process where new features are added and bugs are fixed. If Sony is going to grow2 its voice control platform, it will do it just like that, slow and steady. They already have a basic system in place, just expand on that.

As far as what the community wants, well I think its sometimes unclear what the 'community' wants. The problem is that the voices you hear the most don't always reflect the larger gamer community, the group that does not participate in gaming forums, tech forums, youtube comments, etc, etc. Its got to be difficult for these companies when they are trying to figure out features that will sell their product.

• Like 3

We live in a society of tastes where one size does not fit all.  Why would the success of one object dictate your enjoyment of another?  It's great news for Sony that their launch has been successful.  It's also great news for gamers of any console, if you think long term.  I don't think anyone can argue that the PS3 launch sucked.  But it got much better, only to culminate in the PS4!  Why?  Microsoft and Nintendo.  Had they not been around there would be little incentive for Sony to change things.If Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo does well this generation it'll be because they're delivering what people want.  The others will try to emulate this success in their own way. We basically have 3 different minds working on the console, trying out new things, experimenting, making it evolve.  At the very worst we have choice.  Choice between a powerful game-centric machine or an all around media center.  At the very worst the users will be divided, and that's fine too.  You get the choice.

• Like 2

Skiver, Yes the implementation and the depth of voice control in the UI/Menus will take time I'll agree but it can be easily implemented. I'm not saying a week or two but definitely not 2 years. .

Kinect v1 is 3yrs old now. And in 3yrs time looks where Kinect stands now. It's good but still needs a LOT of work. To say that Sony can easily get on par in less than 2yrs time, that is almost an insult to Microsoft. Yes they have a foundation established, and can build that out easily enough, but coding and algorithms, testing, and $$$ will take more than 2yrs. The PS4 eye is way better than the crappy one I own for the PS3, but the PS4 eye doesn't even rival Kinect v1 overall yet.

And "It's just Software" for voice is more than wrong. I remember voice recognition was being put on dumb phones. Guess what? It sucked, because the hardware was holding the software back.

Go and watch the iFixit video of the Kinect 2 break down, hardware plays an important role as well.

Kinect 2 doesn't free load resources off the One, because it has it's own memory and such.

Typical response when something is reported that you disagree with.

Feel free to provide us with figures to the contrary.

using vgchartz as a source is akin to having a baby key in digits on a number pad. please, this doesn't even need an explanation.

and you cant sell something if it isn't stocked. xbox one has been more heavily stocked in the U.S in December, so anyone can make a reasonable guess that xbox one takes December.

• Like 2

using vgchartz as a source is akin to having a baby key in digits on a number pad. please, this doesn't even need an explanation.

and you cant sell something if it isn't stocked. xbox one has been more heavily stocked in the U.S in December, so anyone can make a reasonable guess that xbox one takes December.

So you can't. Got it.

Baffling you would need to use so many words to say something so simple.

Typical response when something is reported that you disagree with.

Feel free to provide us with figures to the contrary.

I don't think there are figures to the contrary.

VGcharts is probably the only source for numbers right now.

So right now, we have to take those numbers as the truth until otherwise refuted by other numbers I guess.

I expect the PS4 to outsell the X1 overall thanks to it being in more regions and I expect it to outsell the X1 in most regions due to its cheaper price. The reason I believe that is that most of the other factors are equal between the two. Both have strong brand awareness, both have a similar quality lineup of software at the moment, and both seem not have any serious manufacturing issues (apart from some launch issues on both sides)

Your already making excuses for Global sales now?  Xbox One will be sold in the same regions the PS4 is now and this thread only refers to one region in which the Xbox One had a weeks lead. 

I don't know how said that it was a sole factor of the X1, but people mention it because they like using it. Not going into comparing it to the ps4, just evaluating the feature on its own. For the people that like using that kind of stuff, MS has put together a strong feature making use of good mic hardware in Kinect and a software layer to make it all happen. Its not perfect by any means, but they put out a good beginning.

Its one feature, there are other features that people can talk about which the PS4 will literally never have and are better points of discussion as to what the Xbox One has as an advantage. (Heart Rate monitor - Kinect for example)

?- Contrary to what you may believe, I'm not anti-Microsoft or anti-Xbox. I like to read peoples reviews and opinions on features of products, I don't like it when people bask over one feature which can easily be implement better in the other cause I don't see it as anything more than a temporary advantage.

Why are you guys arguing over who did voice commands first? Seriously, neither Sony or MS were the first to make use of it. Sony is certainly more than capable of offering such features. Maybe you could question the ps4 camera mic vs Kinect's mic, but the software side of things can be made by Sony just as MS has made theirs.

- As you could see from my post I didn't say Sony or Microsoft invented voice commands nor did I bring up the topic, I merely added facts to point out that Microsoft didn't have some huge lead on Sony in regards to voice commands and that the hardware side of it is covered by both consoles and software updates could easily make them both identical in their voice commands list / integration.

Really, its not a shot against Sony that MS was simply more interested in spending resources and time offering a more robust system at launch. I don't think its fair to knock Sony, but at the same time, I don't think its fair to dismiss what MS has done because of that.

robust
(of an object) sturdy in construction
*(of a system, organization, etc.) able to withstand or overcome adverse conditions.

So how is the Sony console less robust? and how is it not a shot at Sony? You could have specifically stated the voice commands are not on par with the Xbox One currently but you choose to have an overall shot at Sony instead which is base-less btw.

Software is not simple to get right. If it were, MS would have a perfect voice system at launch. No, its a long process where new features are added and bugs are fixed. If Sony is going to grow2 its voice control platform, it will do it just like that, slow and steady. They already have a basic system in place, just expand on that.

Ok so the Xbox One voice command system is riddled with bugs? This means when other companies release their own version it too will be riddled with bugs and require slow and steady pace to overcome them and Xbox One clearly has the advantage cause its has already started this process.. Hmm maybe you should refer back to your who started voice commands first dig you had at me above.

As far as what the community wants, well I think its sometimes unclear what the 'community' wants. The problem is that the voices you hear the most don't always reflect the larger gamer community, the group that does not participate in gaming forums, tech forums, youtube comments, etc, etc. Its got to be difficult for these companies when they are trying to figure out features that will sell their product.

Yes this is true, I'm not sure why this part of my post required a rebuttal as I left it open to interpretation.. Maybe you just like to argue?

If you read over pretty much all my posts you will see I only add facts and sources to counter negative posts which are usually baseless, I never start flame bait or try to troll people like vcfan has tried to troll my post because like Lord Method Man said 'He doesn't agree with the source' but cannot find another source which says otherwise so therefore mocking/trolling the post seemed the best option for him.

It is a PS4 thread in the Sony section, yet many pro-Xbox posters decide that they need to post here and devalue the thread and bring up the Xbox One comparisons. Isn't that console wars flame bait or something like that I seem to always be doing?

So you can't. Got it.

Baffling you would need to use so many words to say something so simple.

NPD,Sony and Microsoft only can provide insight into sales. as I stated earlier, im giving an opinion based on stock. vgchartz are fraudsters whove been banned on most gaming forums,and trying to use them as a source will get your account terminated.  Im scratching my head on why I have to even explain this.

• Like 2

If you read over pretty much all my posts you will see I only add facts and sources to counter negative posts which are usually baseless, I never start flame bait or try to troll people like vcfan has tried to troll my post because like Lord Method Man said 'He doesn't agree with the source' but cannot find another source which says otherwise so therefore mocking/trolling the post seemed the best option for him.

It is a PS4 thread in the Sony section, yet many pro-Xbox posters decide that they need to post here and devalue the thread and bring up the Xbox One comparisons. Isn't that console wars flame bait or something like that I seem to always be doing?

You facts usually lack any sense such as saying the ps4 webcam is same as kinect2.

Vgchartz has always been unreliable and everyone around here stopped using them for sales data a long time ago.

• Like 3

Your already making excuses for Global sales now? Xbox One will be sold in the same regions the PS4 is now and this thread only refers to one region in which the Xbox One had a weeks lead.

Excuses? Wait, you don't agree with me?

Oh I get it, you think I'm defending the X1 as some kind of fanboy. sorry, missed the mark there. If you think its inappropriate to mention global sales here, then I wont mention them again.

Its one feature, there are other features that people can talk about which the PS4 will literally never have and are better points of discussion as to what the Xbox One has as an advantage. (Heart Rate monitor - Kinect for example)

?- Contrary to what you may believe, I'm not anti-Microsoft or anti-Xbox. I like to read peoples reviews and opinions on features of products, I don't like it when people bask over one feature which can easily be implement better in the other cause I don't see it as anything more than a temporary advantage.

Stop assuming you know what I believe :laugh:

I actually had useful conversations with you, no issues on my end. I don't think your anti-anything.

I'm sorry if you feel like people should not talk about voice features anymore, but you have to accept the fact that when someone likes a feature, they are going to talk about it. Luckily you can easily find people that are talking about other features. Plus, you can bring up any other features you would like and start a conversation about it.

robust

(of an object) sturdy in construction

*(of a system, organization, etc.) able to withstand or overcome adverse conditions.

So how is the Sony console less robust? and how is it not a shot at Sony? You could have specifically stated the voice commands are not on par with the Xbox One currently but you choose to have an overall shot at Sony instead which is base-less btw.

Whoa, slow down there buddy. You sound almost like a fanboy there, even though I know your not at all.

Let me clear up your confusion. We were talking about the voice command platform, so when I said more robust platform, I was talking specifically about the voice commands, not the system as a whole. Now you decided to jump to a conclusion that was not true.

MS invested more time into a robust voice command system at launch. It is not a shot at Sony at all because as you said, its merely a software advantage that Sony can remove as they wish.

Ok so the Xbox One voice command system is riddled with bugs? This means when other companies release their own version it too will be riddled with bugs and require slow and steady pace to overcome them and Xbox One clearly has the advantage cause its has already started this process.. Hmm maybe you should refer back to your who started voice commands first dig you had at me above.

What in the world is your problem?

Where did I say riddled with bugs? My goodness, are you just intent on arguing? How did I stir you up by saying that new software is not perfect and it improves over time?

Both MS and Sony have a voice command system in place. Neither are considered perfect and both will improve over time. My point is that its pretty rare for software to come out day one and do everything we would like it to in the way we want it to. Why is this controversial?

Yes this is true, I'm not sure why this part of my post required a rebuttal as I left it open to interpretation.. Maybe you just like to argue?

A rebuttal? I was just making a comment. I didn't think you would take it as arguing with you.

No one should be trolling or devaluing a thread. I suggest you do what I try to do now. when you see posters doing that, report the post. Then the mods take care of it. I totally agree with you that you are not wrong to defend against troll posts that are inaccurate, I try to do the same thing myself. Just keep in mind that the mods are there to save us the trouble of the endless fighting.

Threads that are vs threads like this one (its a ps4 section, but its clearly comparing sales numbers), sometimes attract the bs console war. Just report it and it will be taken care of.

You facts usually lack any sense such as saying the ps4 webcam is same as kinect2.

Vgchartz has always been unreliable and everyone around here stopped using them for sales data a long time ago.

it has a similar feature set and hardware specs minus the IR features, I never said it was the same.

They are both motion detection devices, I always say the Kinect 2 is better than the PS4 Eye even look back on this thread I even mentioned it here.