PS4 outsold Xbox One by 166,000 consoles in UK last year

it has a similar feature set and hardware specs minus the IR features, I never said it was the same.

They are both motion detection devices, I always say the Kinect 2 is better than the PS4 Eye even look back on this thread I even mentioned it here.

I agree that they share a lot in overall design.

I compare the ps4 camera more to the Kinect 1 design though since Sony went with dual cameras unlike the MS' decision to go with a single, higher res, camera. I don't know the tech details of the mics each one uses, so I don't know how comparable those are. They both try to serve the same purpose though.

I agree that they share a lot in overall design.

I compare the ps4 camera more to the Kinect 1 design though since Sony went with dual cameras unlike the MS' decision to go with a single, higher res, camera. I don't know the tech details of the mics each one uses, so I don't know how comparable those are. They both try to serve the same purpose though.

X360 Camera: 640x480px @ 30fps & 640x480px @ 15fps + 4 Channel Microphone array

PS4 Camera: Two 1280?800px @ 60fps + 4 Channel Microphone array

X1 Camera: Single 1920x1080px @ 30fps  + 4 Channel Microphone array

Mics are the same, the PS4 doubles the resolution of the X360 camera and has a better fps capture rate compared to both the Xbox One and Xbox 360. The Xbox One has a better resolution than the PS4 camera.

it has a similar feature set and hardware specs minus the IR features, I never said it was the same.

They are both motion detection devices, I always say the Kinect 2 is better than the PS4 Eye even look back on this thread I even mentioned it here.

Are you saying PS4's additional graphics hardware gives it no advantage over Xbox One? Kinect2 has significant hardware advantage over PS4eye and because of it, Kinect will be unmatched in almost all features (automatic & hands free login, gesture recognition, heart rate monitoring, overall accuracy due to higher resolution (1080p vs 720p), sound source detection, etc.). Sony can't match this unless they release a revised version.

As for the "simple voice recognition", Sony will need to either build a service from scratch (think bing/tellme, Siri, Google Now) or buy/license something (Dragon, Wolfarm Alfa).

And even when they do it, they will need to dedicate hardware resources for processing which Kinect2 includes and PS4 eye does not. That will quickly erase their current GPU advantage.

This is simple truth similar to 18CU vs 12CUs when it comes to their respective GPUs.

I have possibly corrected you at every single instance of you equating Kinect and PS4 Eye yet you keep on posting the same thing again and again for inexplicable reasons.

• Like 1

X1 Camera: Single 1920x1080px @ 30fps  + 4 Channel Microphone array. And 128MB of memory on board.

Mics are the same, the PS4 doubles the resolution of the X360 camera and has a better fps capture rate compared to both the Xbox One and Xbox 360. The Xbox One has a better resolution than the PS4 camera.

X1 Camera: Single 1920x1080px @ 30fps  + 4 Channel Microphone array

Useful info to share.

So yeah, Sony decided to go with the Kinect 1-like design using dual cameras at a higher res and framerate than Kinect 1. Doesn't the new Kinect have more onboard hardware vs Kinect 1? I have no idea if the ps4 camera has any built in chips for processing or if its mostly done via the ps4 like Kinect 1 was.

The mic hardware is the same, which is good for future voice command usage on the ps4.

It'll be interesting to see if developers that create motion controlled games see any differences between the two camera designs. On paper they both sound like decent designs, but it all comes down the what we see in practice as usual.

Are you saying PS4's additional graphics hardware gives it no advantage over Xbox One? Kinect2 has significant hardware advantage over PS4eye and because of it, Kinect will be unmatched in almost all features (automatic & hands free login, gesture recognition, heart rate monitoring, overall accuracy due to higher resolution (1080p vs 720p), sound source detection, etc.). Sony can't match this unless they release a revised version.

As for the "simple voice recognition", Sony will need to either build a service from scratch (think bing/tellme, Siri, Google Now) or buy/license something (Dragon, Wolfarm Alfa).

And even when they do it, they will need to dedicate hardware resources for processing which Kinect2 includes and PS4 eye does not. That will quickly erase their current GPU advantage.

This is simple truth similar to 18CU vs 12CUs when it comes to their respective GPUs.

I have possibly corrected you at every single instance of you equating Kinect and PS4 Eye yet you keep on posting the same thing again and again for inexplicable reasons.

Not sure what you are trying to argue here, I didn't mention the PS4's graphics advantage and it has nothing to do with the camera peripheral. 

The PS4 actually does the 'automatic & hands free login' or face login as its commonly known as instantly and seamlessly, I don't see any advantage the kinect has in this regard.

Gesture recognition (PS4 doesn't do these at the time of this post so can't make any direct comparison -referring to OS UI/menu gesture controls)

Heart Rate monitoring, I use this as an example of Kinect 2.0's advantage over the PS4 Eye myself, glad you picked that up.

Yes, higher resolution.. I posted that just above also.

Sound Source detection - software side both have same 4 channel mic array.

Sony has the option of releasing a revised PS4 camera, yes that is true.

I don't see why a GPU would be doing PS4 camera calculations, or why the PS4 would need more hardware to do something it already does with the current camera.. But who knows maybe this revised PS4 camera you speak of might be bigger and chunkier and include the additional hardware you believe it requires for calculations?

What have you corrected? You literally copied my points as to what the Kinect 2.0 advantages are and then added your own which aren't backed up by any sources.

The PS4 actually does the 'automatic & hands free login' or face login as its commonly known as instantly and seamlessly, I don't see any advantage the kinect has in this regard.

I have to disagree with you there as far as advantage for Kinect. I have actually used the features on both consoles and unfortunately the ps4 experience is just not quite as good.

Part of the problem is how its implemented in software where you aren't just dropped into your profile, you are still required to confirm the process. That part can easily be fixed.

The other part of the problem is unreliability in low or no light. This is a problem that also plagued Kinect 1. The ps4 camera just has not been reliable for me unless I have good light coverage in the room. However, I have been pleasantly surprised that the new Kinect has been the opposite. It has worked in any light level I have thrown at it, even down to just the ambient light from my tv. I suppose that is thanks to the IR that is built in. This problem can't be fixed in software.

I have to disagree with you there as far as advantage for Kinect. I have actually used the features on both consoles and unfortunately the ps4 experience is just not quite as good.

Part of the problem is how its implemented in software where you aren't just dropped into your profile, you are still required to confirm the process. That part can easily be fixed.

The other part of the problem is unreliability in low or no light. This is a problem that also plagued Kinect 1. The ps4 camera just has not been reliable for me unless I have good light coverage in the room. However, I have been pleasantly surprised that the new Kinect has been the opposite. It has worked in any light level I have thrown at it, even down to just the ambient light from my tv. I suppose that is thanks to the IR that is built in. This problem can't be fixed in software.

Are you sure you have a PS4? Because my PS4 logs me into my profile via face login I don't need to do anything to confirm the process. (Not even sure what confirm the process constitutes.. what do you think happens when you do a face login via the PS4?)

I don't sit in dark rooms and can't see in the dark so I usually have a light on at night (I might kick something playing Just Dance 2014 if I couldn't see) so maybe the low/no light advantage is lost on me, I bought the Xbox One as a gift for my nephew and niece for christmas so have had the chance to play with both consoles I don't see the face login advantage 'confirm the process' you speak of.