SSD not detected anymore

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 02 January 2014 - 16:51

SSD isn't being detected anymore I installed win 8.1 (up from win 8) and was working fine last night switched it on this morning and the drive fails to be recognized even if I pout in the install media goto where you can select the parttion to install it to and drive not there. It started working again Cpl hours later then went out came back to turn it on and its not there again. Im sure I had some problem with it ages ago after a new win install it doesn't seem to like working for a while.

On one error it said something about the drive being locked... ocz vertex 2 bigfoot 120GB. I just don't get it so anyone know what it could be?

#2 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 January 2014 - 16:54

Does it appear in the BIOS? If it does, then you can narrow it down to a Windows problem. If it's missing from the BIOS on boot, then it's a hardware issue.

#3 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 02 January 2014 - 16:57

The Vertex 2 SSDs have a really high failure rate, so unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if it's dead.

#4 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 4 16GB by LG

Posted 02 January 2014 - 17:00

Yep... sounds like "It's dead, Jim"

#5 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 02 January 2014 - 17:10

The SSD's occasionally have a firmware update, try to find it with the OCZ Toolbox and get the latest firmware version. Maybe this will help with the disappearing SSD problem.

Also I have two OCZ SSD's and have been told they have high failure rates but they've both been going strong for around 3 years now.

#6 sikhwarrior

sikhwarrior

Neowinian

Posted 02 January 2014 - 17:18

Has the computer been turned off all of a sudden without being shut down properly? On my m4 it wasn't recognized all i had to do was leave the computer off for 24 hrs before trying to boot up again. 

#7 goatsniffer

goatsniffer

Supercalifragilisticexpialidosh

Posted 02 January 2014 - 17:20

I have had a vertex 2 and Vertex 3 do this to me. SSDs have a controller built into them that controls the access to the flash modules. The controllers are what is failing most of the time, and there isn't anything that can be done about it.

The vertex series has an LED on it by the data port, if it doesn't turn green at power on, it's dead.

#8 Night Prowler

Night Prowler

Root Access

Posted 02 January 2014 - 17:35

Try using Parted Magic and reset the NAND using the secure SSD erase method. However this will only work if it is seen in the Parted Magic utility. It will also describe how to unlock the SSD.

It also describes how to unlock he SSDSSD isn't being detected anymore I installed win 8.1 (up from win 8) and was working fine last night switched it on this morning and the drive fails to be recognized even if I pout in the install media goto where you can select the parttion to install it to and drive not there. It started working again Cpl hours later then went out came back to turn it on and its not there again. Im sure I had some problem with it ages ago after a new win install it doesn't seem to like working for a while.

On one error it said something about the drive being locked... ocz vertex 2 bigfoot 120GB. I just don't get it so anyone know what it could be?

#9 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 17:40

I had a ssd that would not show up to the bios. The cure was to leave the computer on for an hour even if the bios doesn't detect the SSD. Apparently in my SSD's case it took an hour for the SSD to reset if shut off improperly (very rare and odd case). After that it started showing up again and has ever since.

#10 OP psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 January 2014 - 17:49

Try using Parted Magic and reset the NAND using the secure SSD erase method. However this will only work if it is seen in the Parted Magic utility. It will also describe how to unlock the SSD.

ah right ok ill have a go on that, it does disappear sometimes then I usually just unplug the other 2 hard drives and it works again. The SSD light is green and ill see if theres update firmware, especially annoying cus I don't want download 4.5GB update for BF4 again if I had to reinstall good job I got an old rubbish hard drive in here cus cant install windows to the other 2 HD's cus there formatted with GPT and don't have a UEFI bios enabled MB

#11 Blueclub

Blueclub

Neowinian

• Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 02 January 2014 - 17:49

This happened to me with my Force GT drive, it came back after a few tries, and then went blank. When it went blank, the ssd would not show up in BIOS as well. The problem was a loose connection of the SSD to the motherboard (the wire connecting to the motherboard was not set properly).

#12 OP psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 January 2014 - 18:01

This happened to me with my Force GT drive, it came back after a few tries, and then went blank. When it went blank, the ssd would not show up in BIOS as well. The problem was a loose connection of the SSD to the motherboard (the wire connecting to the motherboard was not set properly).

I tried that, and plugging it into a different port. Think ill just leave it off it'll probably come back to life soon... when it feels like it! had it for 3 years and SSD life says it has another 9 years life in it so maybe the controller is a bit screwed up

#13 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 03 January 2014 - 13:45

i've had this issue several times with my system. The BIOS will randomly decide to not recognize the SSD. i have to turn it off, unplug the SATA cable, plug it in and it works. who knows. ive never known why.

#14 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 03 January 2014 - 18:10

I tried that, and plugging it into a different port. Think ill just leave it off it'll probably come back to life soon... when it feels like it! had it for 3 years and SSD life says it has another 9 years life in it so maybe the controller is a bit screwed up

Don't count on it. The OCZ Vertex 1/2 were both unreliable drives. My Vertex 1 died within four months, and a few of my friends had terrible luck with the Vertex 2's. That Sandforce controller is no good in the Vertex 2. I wouldn't rely on SSD life. 

#15 Packet1009

Packet1009

Neowinian

Posted 03 January 2014 - 18:24

another idea: check / change the power cable (try another port on your power supply)