SSD not detected anymore

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 03 January 2014 - 18:38

Don't count on it. The OCZ Vertex 1/2 were both unreliable drives. My Vertex 1 died within four months, and a few of my friends had terrible luck with the Vertex 2's. That Sandforce controller is no good in the Vertex 2. I wouldn't rely on SSD life. 

The Vertex 1 has the Indilinx controller, like the new ones do, so it's pretty reliable.  I still have one of those in my laptop, and it's still chugging along.  The Sandforce controllers are what gave everybody nightmares.  OCZ just didn't seem to figure out how to deal with it via firmware until the 3.

#17 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 03 January 2014 - 18:47

The Vertex 1 has the Indilinx controller, like the new ones do, so it's pretty reliable.  I still have one of those in my laptop, and it's still chugging along.  The Sandforce controllers are what gave everybody nightmares.  OCZ just didn't seem to figure out how to deal with it via firmware until the 3.

Eh,  I haven't had good luck with OCZ. One of my other friends had his Vertex 1 died, in a short timeframe. I had my Vertex 1 replaced, and sold the replacement. At least their support was easy and fast (gee I wonder why), but I'm glad that company is bankrupt.

#18 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 03 January 2014 - 18:52

Eh,  I haven't had good luck with OCZ. One of my other friends had his Vertex 1 died, in a short timeframe. I had my Vertex 1 replaced, and sold the replacement. At least their support was easy and fast (gee I wonder why), but I'm glad that company is bankrupt.

i, on the other hand, used my Vertex 1 and 2 for years w/o a hitch :wacko:

#19 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

Posted 03 January 2014 - 20:16

I've used only OCZ since the Vertex 1 (but skipped the Vertex 2), and I've always had really good luck.  I can't say I've ever seen a failure in the 40-50 of them I've used in builds.  I had a pair of Vertex 3s in RAID 0 for a while, and then upgraded to a single Vertex 4, which I currently have in my desktop PC.  They've always been stable and incredibly fast.  Luckily the Samsungs are priced well, otherwise I'd be completely bummed that OCZ went under.

#20 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 03 January 2014 - 20:25

I've used only OCZ since the Vertex 1 (but skipped the Vertex 2), and I've always had really good luck.  I can't say I've ever seen a failure in the 40-50 of them I've used in builds.  I had a pair of Vertex 3s in RAID 0 for a while, and then upgraded to a single Vertex 4, which I currently have in my desktop PC.  They've always been stable and incredibly fast.  Luckily the Samsungs are priced well, otherwise I'd be completely bummed that OCZ went under.

Vertex in raid 0?!?!?! That's like playing Russian Roulette with 3 bullets in the chamber :laugh:

#21 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

Posted 03 January 2014 - 20:28

Vertex in raid 0?!?!?! Death wish much! :laugh:

Meh, the only danger is losing all the data if one dies, but that's no different than having a larger single SSD die.  I don't think RAID affects lifespan or anything.  File transfer speeds were insane and SATA3 was completely saturated.

The only major annoyance was when my Asus mobo had a firmware update, it would corrupt the RAID array and all my data would be lost. :(  Wasn't too happy about that, which is what pushed me to get the larger Vertex 4.

#22 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 03 January 2014 - 20:32

Meh, the only danger is losing all the data if one dies, but that's no different than having a larger single SSD die.  I don't think RAID affects lifespan or anything.  File transfer speeds were insane and SATA3 was completely saturated.

The only major annoyance was when my Asus mobo had a firmware update, it would corrupt the RAID array and all my data would be lost. :(  Wasn't too happy about that, which is what pushed me to get the larger Vertex 4.

The thing is with a known unreliable drive, a single drive may fail sure.

But let's say the drive has a 30% failure rate. Running two of them you're not merely doubling the chance of failure by using two equally failure prone drives, you're actually more than doubling it. I don't know the math to tell you exactly how much as I haven't done that since forever, but it's basic logic math.

#23 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

Posted 03 January 2014 - 20:43

But let's say the drive has a 30% failure rate. Running two of them you're not merely doubling the chance of failure by using two equally failure prone drives, you're actually more than doubling it. I don't know the math to tell you exactly how much as I haven't done that since forever, but it's basic logic math.

I had the Vertex 3, which wasn't a failure ridden one.  Especially after a firmware update.  The Vertex 2 was the bast*rd child and had something like a 5-6% failure rate according to a study a few years back.  So it's not like it had failures to epidemic levels, but that 1 in 20 people weren't happy and weren't hesitant to complain on the internet about it. 

#24 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 03 January 2014 - 20:47

^This. The math is just multiply all of the discs reliability rating probabilities together and that will give you the new reliability rate. So in your case (1-0.3)*(1-0.3) = 49% chance of not losing data. Add another and it is 34% of not losing data.

#25 OP psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:55

well it always gos ###### up after a new install so going leave it unplugged for like cpl days see what happens and may spring back into life sometimes its suddenly come back on after 5 days all of a sudden so, i dunno hit and miss haha thanks for the replies though

#26 Ryan Evans

Ryan Evans

Neowinian

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:57

My very first SSD was Vertex 1(Indilinx) and 2(sandforce) Both died on me :( Off late I have decided to go for Intel One's, Intel are a little expensive compared to Vertex but that's worth it. Even my 520 is sandforce based, As far as my research & experience goes, OCZ had problems irrespective of the controller. what you are referring to could be some undisclosed SF compatibility issues with the hardware manufacturers.

#27 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 07 January 2014 - 22:59

My very first SSD was Vertex 1(Indilinx) and 2(sandforce) Both died on me :( Off late I have decided to go for Intel One's, Intel are a little expensive compared to Vertex but that's worth it. Even my 520 is sandforce based, As far as my research & experience goes, OCZ had problems irrespective of the controller. what you are referring to could be some undisclosed SF compatibility issues with the hardware manufacturers.

I had the following issue with my 520 at work (hasn't happened in a few months though): https://communities..../message/202676. The 520 in my workstation at home has never had an issue though. Just pointing you to this as an FYI. Whether or not the cause is a fault controller, just bad drives, hardware incompatibilities, or bad firmware -- who knows. Just keep an eye out if you see the same behavior. I'm not convinced it is a prevalent issue.