What's your Linux story? Here's mine.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 TDT

TDT

Firestarter

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:44

As a consumer, absolutely I'm basing it on that.  I'll give Ubuntu a go tomorrow and see how that goes.  Unless you can suggest a different distro that doesn't involve me mucking around, finding drivers for components that requre me to use my PC.

Honestly.  The biggest gripe wasn't the lack of drivers for absolutely everything, but the fact that something as SIMPLE as print to PDF is next to impossible.  Even with the thousands of tutorials online, all which say different things, nothing worked.

What I want to achieve isn't as simple as I will want it to be, but bottom line is, I need the PC to be running, and printing.

Basically, for work, we login via RDP, which is easy enough under SUSE.  But then we use a DOS program.

I need that DOS program to print in Linux, when it is told to.  Which will be the struggle.  When using the RDP on Windows, it send it to a program on the local machine called Automate Spooler, which is apparently the only way to make the DOS program print locally.  The EXE loads up in WINE, but hell, there maybe an even better way to make it work.

But yeah, OTT with my Linux hate.  I was quite frustrated earlier in the day.

As for picking SUSE, I filled out some generator online, answered a few questions, and it said SUSE was the best for what I wanted.

Also, I'm using KDE.  I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I honestly don't care what environment I install and use.  The PC will have limited use, but printing from RDP is an absolute necessity.

I strongly recommend that you install Elementary OS (and do some things after the installation ;) )and see how you feel about Linux after that. :) Printing in PDF is extremely simple, I just installed a virtual PDF printer (cups-pdf I think) and that's it. Also, I never liked KDE, it's too much eye-candy for me and too slow.

#32 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 09 January 2014 - 14:14

geeks? Really? If you are into linux, and develop for it, i'd rather call myself an 'enthusiast'. I think the word 'nerd' and 'geek' is definitely meant as a derogatory term to imply not fitting into mainstream culture. It's sad to be called a 'geek' because you like linux. But so be it.

I'm not going to use the word enthusiast to describe a group of users.  IMO, it sounds stupid.

If you find it offensive that when comparing regular computer users to users with enough knowledge to get a Linux operating system onto their PC somehow offensive, I'm sorry.  I'm not being offensive, to suggest I am is ridiculous.

#33 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 09 January 2014 - 14:17

Somebody deleted my message here and it was nowhere near offensive or breaking the rules. That's it, this site is finally over for me at least for posting. I still won't forget names whose behaviour here is ridiculous.

#34 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 09 January 2014 - 17:10

Hello,

Windows 2000 was unstable, especially compared to Linux at the time. Let me clarify that statement:

As a driver developer for a very large hardware company

One thing is to develop for and another thing is to work with. Users dont care about the driver model.

Plus, at that time, Windows 2000 was the first "transition" between professional and home being merged. Drivers were going to be terrible.

As a consumer, absolutely I'm basing it on that. I'll give Ubuntu a go tomorrow and see how that goes. Unless you can suggest a different distro that doesn't involve me mucking around, finding drivers for components that requre me to use my PC.

Anyone trying out Linux, should try Ubuntu first. The ammount of community support is just almost as endless as Windows.

Honestly. The biggest gripe wasn't the lack of drivers for absolutely everything, but the fact that something as SIMPLE as print to PDF is next to impossible. Even with the thousands of tutorials online, all which say different things, nothing worked.

I doubt you will have this problem in Ubuntu.

As for picking SUSE, I filled out some generator online, answered a few questions, and it said SUSE was the best for what I wanted.

Yes, its the best for what you need once you get a hang of Linux. Ubuntu and CentOS are pretty much for new users.

#35 +Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 09 January 2014 - 18:16

Somebody deleted my message here and it was nowhere near offensive or breaking the rules. That's it, this site is finally over for me at least for posting. I still won't forget names whose behaviour here is ridiculous.

The mods do make mistakes, you know. That was not intentional.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!