Photo

Anyone own a Chromebook

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 January 2014 - 13:15

Does anyone here own a Chromebook? What do you use it for? Is it like a normal laptop (ie: be able to watch movies, supports Java, etc)?

#2 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 January 2014 - 13:17

There's one in our house, it's basically just Chrome on a laptop, so anything you can do in Chrome you can do on it. It's pretty light, decent keyboard, and the battery lasts for eight to ten hours. It's pretty decent if you do a lot of Google based things, like GMail, Drive, etc.

#3 jesseinsf

jesseinsf

Neowinian

Posted 03 January 2014 - 13:19

Does anyone here own a Chromebook? What do you use it for? Is it like a normal laptop (ie: be able to watch movies, supports Java, etc)?

It only supports online stuff. Offline like installing software, it's useless. It's just like Google Chrome. And Google Chrome has it's own apps. Same goes for Chromebook. You need to be connected to the internet all of the time.

#4 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 03 January 2014 - 13:25

It only supports online stuff. Offline like installing software, it's useless. It's just like Google Chrome. And Google Chrome has it's own apps. Same goes for Chromebook. You need to be connected to the internet all of the time.

Really depends on what you are doing.  You can use Google docs and Google apps offline.

#5 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 03 January 2014 - 13:37

My Gran has one and she loves it

#6 OP Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 January 2014 - 13:40

So, I wouldn't be able to watch movies offline?

#7 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 January 2014 - 13:47

I don't really use any of the apps in chrome so don't know for sure but I don't think so. Try firing up Chrome and see if there are any app's that allow you to watch movies offline (netflix, lovefilm etc). I know things like BBC I player (UK) as a website offers the ability to watch offline but I believe it downloads and installs a plugin so it may not work on there.

#8 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 January 2014 - 13:58

So, I wouldn't be able to watch movies offline?

Check here.  A list of offline apps from Google.  More than I thought....

https://chrome.googl...offline_enabled

#9 Pam14160

Pam14160

Lee

Posted 03 January 2014 - 14:11

Until it can run the big boy apps it will not be a front line device.  College students will fine that without the ability to run the high end Adobe programs, MS office along with AutoCAD it really is useless. . .just an opinion. . . :)

#10 coresx

coresx

Neowinian

Posted 03 January 2014 - 14:22

Too restricted for my tastes. Windows RT was bad enough and it does so much more.  I just can't live with strict ecosystems. Can be nothing more than a companion device at best. I know they are cheap but not really that much of a leap to something much better.

#11 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 January 2014 - 14:27

College students will fine that without the ability to run the high end Adobe programs, MS office along with AutoCAD it really is useless. . .just an opinion. . . :)

All college students run high resource programs like AutoCAD and Adobe programs?  A lot of students would get along just fine with Google Docs.  Lots of students just need an Office suite, internet, and email.

#12 OP Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 January 2014 - 14:39

I need Java, and also be able to use a CAC card reader (plugs in via USB), and also need to be able to edit PDF's.

#13 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5 16 GB

Posted 03 January 2014 - 14:39

Until it can run the big boy apps it will not be a front line device.  College students will fine that without the ability to run the high end Adobe programs, MS office along with AutoCAD it really is useless. . .just an opinion. . . :)

What a stupid statement. My cousin uses a Chromebook and it works perfectly fine for his needs. Not ALL college students run programs like AutoCAD, Solidworks, etc. Even if you did need such programs, most colleges have plenty of computer labs that are open for use. 

Chromebook seems alright if you need a productive laptop on the cheap. 

#14 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

Posted 03 January 2014 - 15:22

I've only ever seen 1 of them in real life.

For the basic web stuff it did pretty good, but for any offline stuff I thought it was rather limited.

#15 macoman

macoman

Neowinian

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:24

If I need a Chromebook, I rather get a tablet... Almost the same thing just lite and more portable.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!