Anyone own a Chromebook

There's one in our house, it's basically just Chrome on a laptop, so anything you can do in Chrome you can do on it. It's pretty light, decent keyboard, and the battery lasts for eight to ten hours. It's pretty decent if you do a lot of Google based things, like GMail, Drive, etc.

Does anyone here own a Chromebook? What do you use it for? Is it like a normal laptop (ie: be able to watch movies, supports Java, etc)?

It only supports online stuff. Offline like installing software, it's useless. It's just like Google Chrome. And Google Chrome has it's own apps. Same goes for Chromebook. You need to be connected to the internet all of the time.

It only supports online stuff. Offline like installing software, it's useless. It's just like Google Chrome. And Google Chrome has it's own apps. Same goes for Chromebook. You need to be connected to the internet all of the time.

Really depends on what you are doing.  You can use Google docs and Google apps offline.

I don't really use any of the apps in chrome so don't know for sure but I don't think so. Try firing up Chrome and see if there are any app's that allow you to watch movies offline (netflix, lovefilm etc). I know things like BBC I player (UK) as a website offers the ability to watch offline but I believe it downloads and installs a plugin so it may not work on there.

Until it can run the big boy apps it will not be a front line device.  College students will fine that without the ability to run the high end Adobe programs, MS office along with AutoCAD it really is useless. . .just an opinion. . . :)

Too restricted for my tastes. Windows RT was bad enough and it does so much more.  I just can't live with strict ecosystems. Can be nothing more than a companion device at best. I know they are cheap but not really that much of a leap to something much better.

College students will fine that without the ability to run the high end Adobe programs, MS office along with AutoCAD it really is useless. . .just an opinion. . . :)

All college students run high resource programs like AutoCAD and Adobe programs?  A lot of students would get along just fine with Google Docs.  Lots of students just need an Office suite, internet, and email.

Until it can run the big boy apps it will not be a front line device.  College students will fine that without the ability to run the high end Adobe programs, MS office along with AutoCAD it really is useless. . .just an opinion. . . :)

What a stupid statement. My cousin uses a Chromebook and it works perfectly fine for his needs. Not ALL college students run programs like AutoCAD, Solidworks, etc. Even if you did need such programs, most colleges have plenty of computer labs that are open for use. 

Chromebook seems alright if you need a productive laptop on the cheap. 

I've only ever seen 1 of them in real life.

For the basic web stuff it did pretty good, but for any offline stuff I thought it was rather limited.

I need Java, and also be able to use a CAC card reader (plugs in via USB), and also need to be able to edit PDF's.

A Chromebook can't run Java unless you go about using things like Chrubuntu. Sounds like what you need is a "proper" laptop.

Too restricted for my tastes. Windows RT was bad enough and it does so much more.  I just can't live with strict ecosystems. Can be nothing more than a companion device at best. I know they are cheap but not really that much of a leap to something much better.

I "sort of" agree that you can get a lot better, for not a lot more, but how much battery life do you get for $300-$400 on a laptop?  Not 7-8 hours.  Also weight.  They're typically a bit lighter.  If you already have a decent primary device, they're great for just web browsing.  You also don't have to worry about malware like you do in a Windows environment. 

They aren't made for power users.

I tried one and found it too limiting. For about the same price, you can get a real laptop or tablet that does a lot more.

Yeah, good luck finding a half decent laptop for ~$200, tablets are close but some want a keyboard and a Chromebook would do the trick and keep em safer in the long run 

i have a chrombook the orginal  Pilot program one CR-48  and i can watch movies off thumb drive or  using netlix  i can even using  googles Remote desktop and run my mian Pc  through the chromebook    i can do just about anything my main Pc can do  

and for those  who have not used chromooks  in awhile or chrom OS it is not just chrome  web browser   anymore  it  is more  desktop-ish environment

Not sure when this was taken  but  it may not be the latest chrom OS but found this image online  

Google+chrome+Os+udpate.jpg

• Like 2

i have a chrombook the orginal  Pilot program one CR-48  and i can watch movies off thumb drive or  using netlix  i can even using  googles Remote desktop and run my mian Pc  through the chromebook    i can do just about anything my main Pc can do  

and for those  who have not used chromooks  in awhile or chrom OS it is not just chrome  web browser   anymore  it  is more  desktop-ish environment

I've had my Samsung Series 3 ARM Chromebook for a year now. I like it for getting on the Internet and for doing random stuff. I love watching podcasts on it. However, it's still just a limited browser at the end of the day. I need java for my bank site. I like to play Minecraft sometimes, and it needs java. I am still in the middle of converting my DVD collection to MP4's, and I can't do that with a Chromebook. 

The Chromebook does cover 60-70% of my usage, and it's excellent for what it is, but I can't live with just a Chromebook. I am, however, typing on it right now. :)

I've had my Samsung Series 3 ARM Chromebook for a year now. I like it for getting on the Internet and for doing random stuff. I love watching podcasts on it. However, it's still just a limited browser at the end of the day. I need java for my bank site. I like to play Minecraft sometimes, and it needs java. I am still in the middle of converting my DVD collection to MP4's, and I can't do that with a Chromebook. 

The Chromebook does cover 60-70% of my usage, and it's excellent for what it is, but I can't live with just a Chromebook. I am, however, typing on it right now. :)

course ya cant but you can how ever  use remote desktop  to do the other % of what you need   to some exstent.