Anyone own a Chromebook

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 February 2014 - 14:07

Someone answer me this:

I keep hearing conflicting reports that if you try to blow that ###### away and install a real OS, the BIOS will force a repair and reinstall (or it'll essentially be bricked if you've managed to nuke enough of it).  Others claim this "feature" can be disabled.  Which is it?

I'm tempted to get one for the cheap hardware and then install some Linux distribution on it.

#32 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 09 February 2014 - 14:48

Someone answer me this:

I keep hearing conflicting reports that if you try to blow that **** away and install a real OS, the BIOS will force a repair and reinstall (or it'll essentially be bricked if you've managed to nuke enough of it). Others claim this "feature" can be disabled. Which is it?

I'm tempted to get one for the cheap hardware and then install some Linux distribution on it.

watch this tutorial in how to do it:

#33 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 February 2014 - 15:19

watch this tutorial in how to do it:

A simple "yes" or "no" vs 5:23 of watching a kid type over his shaky cam (which could've been summarized with a  3 bullet point list).

Thanks?

#34 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 09 February 2014 - 17:19

A simple "yes" or "no" vs 5:23 of watching a kid type over his shaky cam (which could've been summarized with a 3 bullet point list).

Thanks?

You can watch it or follow the tutorial he wrote on the description. Your welcome!

#35 Xerino

Xerino

The Mouth

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:51

I got a freebie chrome book a couple years ago.. The chromeOS is ok but I found Chrubuntu was way better for it (use an intel based chrome book for this, the arm version still has a lot of issues)

#36 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4 16GB by LG

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:53

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on one. Most of my casual computer use is web, email and light document editing (mainly spreadsheets). I also drop in to SSH, VNC or RDP to a server. There are Chrome store apps to do all of the above (offline for email and docs).

I could even take it to work and use a VDI, because it would be much lighter than my corporate machine.

I'll post a review when I do pull the trigger.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!