25 posts in this topic

Posted

Am I the only one who for some reason, is annoyed when you tell a customer to type something and they say

"hold on.... I gotta put the phone down".

Posted

I'm going to say you're the only one. Why would you get annoyed with something so little?

You're telling them to type something.

4 people like this

Posted

Why is this annoying? I'm a pretty decent typer, but I still don't like typing with a phone in my ear (after all I need both hands to be really comfortable typing)...

I own a phone with a decent speaker phone for this reason, but still it only makes sense to me to put the phone down...

2 people like this

Posted

But because they put the phone down it's like they gotta do it in chunks, because they keep putting the phone down to type.

Posted

Why is this annoying? I'm a pretty decent typer, but I still don't like typing with a phone in my ear (after all I need both hands to be really comfortable typing)...

I own a phone with a decent speaker phone for this reason, but still it only makes sense to me to put the phone down...

I just tilt my head against the shoulder, no need to put down the phone or use the speaker phone... :)

2 people like this

Posted

I just tilt my head against the shoulder, no need to put down the phone or use the speaker phone... :)

EXACTLY!!!!!

Posted

But because they put the phone down it's like they gotta do it in chunks, because they keep putting the phone down to type.

If you don't like it.. then remote into their computer and type for them... problem solved!

1 person likes this

Posted

If you don't like it.. then remote into their computer and type for them... problem solved!

oh that's exactly what I do, it's when I give them the website to go to to get connected they say "Hold on.. I gotta put the phone down" ... then they get to the correct website and they need a support key, so I give them the support key and they say "Hold on .. I gotta put the phone down"

Posted

that does not really annoy me but i get really annoyed when people call me for computer support and i tell them to do something for troubleshooting and they tell me they will have to call me back when they are not driving.

why did you call for support if you are driving down the road.

1 person likes this

Posted

that does not really annoy me but i get really annoyed when people call me for computer support and i tell them to do something for troubleshooting and they tell me they will have to call me back when they are not driving.

I get that ALLL the time.. SOOOOoooo annoying.

Or they tell you "Hold on, I gotta turn the computer on." Then then proceed to tell you how "this might take a while because their computer is slow" @#()*&U@@#)(*_@#

Posted

Pretty much this.

Unless you have to type something of great length, there's not much excuse to put the phone down.

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't really know who your "customers" are but.... get a headset? I don't know many people in my office now who don't use a phone/Lync + headset now a days. I use my headset for music now too to block out most of the crap that goes on around me, keeps me in the zone  :shiftyninja:

Posted

I used to get that all the time, it's soo annoying, or they're calling in for an issue with their services (internet, home phone, etc) at home, but they're calling from work, and they refuse to call back from home to do the proper troubleshooting saying they "don't have time for that".

Posted

I put the phone down to  *click*....

I normally put them on mute and curse them a little.

Posted

i can type with one hand. I just did.

Posted

oh that's exactly what I do, it's when I give them the website to go to to get connected they say "Hold on.. I gotta put the phone down" ... then they get to the correct website and they need a support key, so I give them the support key and they say "Hold on .. I gotta put the phone down"

Use a less complicated remote support site then. Or a URL shortener. Or send them an email with a link.

Posted

This thread makes me happy I finally got out of computer support...

Posted

I usually just say, 1 sec, put my phone onto speakerphone, put it down and continue the conversation, does it genuinely annoy you?

(Because I really don't understand why you're in support if it bothers you that much, I only mention it as I would have thought you would've been told, or possibly trained, to be patient with customers.....)

Posted

I have the patients of an iron giant
1 person likes this

Posted

I have the patients of an iron giant

Patience, young padowan :shiftyninja:

Posted

Was short staffed today so I was stuck doing crap work today.  Long story short, woman called and said Word isnt opening.  I remote in and says it is working fine.  She said it is not.  Ok, weird.  So after asking several questions and being puzzled as hell, it turns out she turned off her 2nd monitor because it was hurting her neck to look at it.  Turned the monitor on a presto!!  There is Word!!

Glad I am out of phone support...for the most part....as well.  I dont mind it every now and then...but man users can be so dumb.

Posted

Yeah it's just you.... heck even I've done it at times (not often)

Posted

Was short staffed today so I was stuck doing crap work today.  Long story short, woman called and said Word isnt opening.  I remote in and says it is working fine.  She said it is not.  Ok, weird.  So after asking several questions and being puzzled as hell, it turns out she turned off her 2nd monitor because it was hurting her neck to look at it.  Turned the monitor on a presto!!  There is Word!!

Glad I am out of phone support...for the most part....as well.  I dont mind it every now and then...but man users can be so dumb.

I hate whenever this one family member calls about computer problems. Most of the time it's dealing with his expensive business software that I have no clue about. How am I supposed to know about this shit?

Posted

<snip>

Posted

Just tell them to take their time, as you charge by the minute.