• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 limok

limok

Neowinian

• Phone: Galaxy S4, iPhone 5

Posted 03 January 2014 - 19:22

Hi guys,

just wondering how come Microsoft don't include a code with physical media so we can play games without having to insert the disc, Steam games allow support this so why doesn't Microsoft?

#2 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 03 January 2014 - 19:43

Hi guys,

just wondering how come Microsoft don't include a code with physical media so we can play games without having to insert the disc, Steam games allow support this so why doesn't Microsoft?

They tried and people complained so we are back to old way of doing things.

#3 +rr_dRock

rr_dRock

Resident Magical Lion v1.2

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy SIV (CM11), iPhone 4S

Posted 03 January 2014 - 19:48

Not exactly.

They could have codes (much like UltraViolet), but that would require that you download the game from XBOX Live (to disable disc drm and enable downloaded drm) and god knows no one that owns an XBOX One has an internet connection. (which is the reason we still have discs.)

#4 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 03 January 2014 - 19:52

Wrong and wrong again.

Nobody ever complained about that. People complained about having to phone home once every day and not be able to sell their games on eBay, Kijiji and such. MS just had to make people phone home once every 2 or 3 weeks and let people untie their games from their account to sell online and the problem would have been solved.

It would be fun if MS fans would stop to spread lies here about that.

MS decided on their own to backtrap on digital only. Complains have nothing to do with it. And considering next gen games are between 30 to 40GB and the One's HD is 500GB only i think it might have played a bigger role in the backtracking. I just don't see how it could have worked with such a small HD. Not everyone want to use an external HD with their console. MS just did not think about their plan carefully enough. It was badly planned from the start.

#5 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 January 2014 - 19:54

I don't think there is anything to say that in the future that can't happen. The problem is the DRM reversal came so late in the development phase they went for what would seem like the safest option - remove DRM.

Hopefully sometime in the future MS will return to some comprimise between the two because I would happily take the full DRM right now to save me swapping disks. Either that or they start being competitive with their digital prices to stop me looking at physical.

Wrong and wrong again.

Nobody ever complained about that. People complained about having to phone home once every day and not be able to sell their games on eBay, Kijiji and such. MS just had to make people phone home once every 2 or 3 weeks and let people untie their games from their account to sell online and the problem would have been solved.

MS decided on their own to backtrap on digital only. Complains have nothing to do with it. And considering next gen games are between 30 to 40GB and the One's HD is 500GB only i think it might have played a bigger role in the backtracking. I just don't see how it could have worked with such a small HD. Not everyone want to use an external HD with their console. MS just did not think about their plan carefully enough. It was badly planned from the start.

I would argue semantics on this, the functionality at the time they came up with to allow this was the phone home checks aka DRM. The above poster specifically states options of how they could have gotten around DRM checks.

So yes people did complain about "phone home" but replace phone home with DRM and you have the same thing. People complained about their method of DRM and they attempted to please the masses by taking a route to remove it. 

Edited by skiver, 03 January 2014 - 19:57.

#6 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 January 2014 - 20:06

Wrong and wrong again.

May be in an alternate reality where people complained only about "phone home once every day". My post in context of OP is entirely accurate.

There were many complaints but main "DRM" complaints were
1. NO private used games sales & swapping(This was the main complaint, not the phone home)
2. 24hr check-in, that enabled used games sales at all

The #1 above is what relevant to OP (steam like feature set)

Your last paragraph is pointless because HDD size is still a limiting factor on both consoles due to mandatory installation.

#7 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 January 2014 - 20:10

Hopefully sometime in the future MS will return to some comprimise between the two because I would happily take the full DRM right now to save me swapping disks. Either that or they start being competitive with their digital prices to stop me looking at physical.

I actually "enjoy" DRM features on my Xbox 360 that let me switch between games without getting off my sofa. I know I will be all digital whenever I get an XBO.

#8 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 03 January 2014 - 20:18

The op is basically asking for a console feature that works like the pc.

On the pc, you install your game using a code and then you no longer need to put the disc in.

The side affect of this is that there is no used pc game market to speak of.

So if MS had adopted that feature, it would mean that there would be no Xbox used game market to speak of, which was upsetting to many people.

What this all means is that pc gamers are already use to not owning a physical copy of a game and even if they do, having no chance to resell it. For many console gamers, there is no interest in this. That means we still need to put our disc in the system to play it.

#9 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 January 2014 - 20:21

If they included a code with the current system you could buy retail, redeem the code, then sell the disc. Steam can do this because you can't play the game with just the disc, on XBOX One you can. The initial system was like Steam where the disc was only used to install and was useless by itself.

#10 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 January 2014 - 20:22

You don't see how it could have worked? All games on both next gen console are required to be installed to play them. So whatever issue there is with storage space, it exists now as much as it would have then.

As far as MS, I agree that they didn't market their plans well enough. They allowed false rumors and misinformation to balloon out of control without making proper statements to the contrary. They also made some stupid pr statements to fuel the anger.

But that's history now.

#11 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 03 January 2014 - 20:53

I actually "enjoy" DRM features on my Xbox 360 that let me switch between games without getting off my sofa. I know I will be all digital whenever I get an XBO.

:D  I found myself looking at the $40 Ryse sale recently and not biting because I wanted it digital.  Much like if I see a game on the PC side but it's not Steam I'll usually pass.

#12 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 04 January 2014 - 16:03

Like others have said the problem is, if I buy a physical copy and it gives me a code and I no longer need the physical copy then why even get the physical copy in the first place? I mean why not JUST buy the code? Also if I have the physical copy what do I do with it? The fear is, can you give it a friend which means they can play it but do not get the code for the digital copy which means you and him have the game?  

Also Ironman brings up a good point I was looking at the other day myself. Bestbuy had Ryse on sale for $38 bucks!! I was thinking about getting it, but I WANTED the digital copy of it.. Well when I looked at the store the digital copy was still $59.99!! Shouldn't the store lower the price to match retail? OR no because it means they aren't selling enough retail copies so they drop the price to get rid of them.. See those are the things I don't like

#13 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 04 January 2014 - 16:08

The phone home was disliked as much as if not more than not being able to resell. PC owners have limited resale ability (some sites allow trading in digital titles), but they aren't saddled with ridiculous DRM and prices and therefore on the whole can accept their current digital ownership rights/clauses.

At the end of the day just let people dream that the solution MS had was great, we'll leave the reality of it to the real thinkers, and MS themselves, as a company rarely buckles if it thinks its genuinely onto a winner. Personally I think they (MS), and a lot of the pro-MS media (those furiously playing down the DRM rumours/effect of potential DRM rumours) thought Sony were going to do something similar.

#14 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 January 2014 - 16:37

The phone home was disliked as much as if not more than not being able to resell. PC owners have limited resale ability (some sites allow trading in digital titles), but they aren't saddled with ridiculous DRM and prices and therefore on the whole can accept their current digital ownership rights/clauses.

<snip> MS themselves, as a company rarely buckles if it thinks its genuinely onto a winner. Personally I think they (MS), and a lot of the pro-MS media (those furiously playing down the DRM rumours/effect of potential DRM rumours) thought Sony were going to do something similar.

The reality was that parts of MS' plan was good. Some parts were not good and those parts were the ones that people wanted to see changed. MS was not able to keep the good parts without the bad because they were so far into the development process that they lacked the time to replace the bad parts. So they shelved it all with the hopes of bringing back the good parts later.

Trying to claim that it was all bad or all good is just not correct.

#15 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 04 January 2014 - 16:48

The reality was that parts of MS' plan was good. Some parts were not good and those parts were the ones that people wanted to see changed. MS was not able to keep the good parts without the bad because they were so far into the development process that they lacked the time to replace the bad parts. So they shelved it all with the hopes of bringing back the good parts later.

Trying to claim that it was all bad or all good is just not correct.

Calling home is never anything other than all bad. Has never been proven otherwise in our whole gaming history, playing offline parts of a game should never NEED an online connection. Ask EA how calling home works for them every time they try it in a game, or how it worked for Blizzard after they ripped it out of Diablo 3 for consoles.

<snip> Even a title like Demons Souls/Dark Souls, with it's heavy online supported single player mode allows you to play completely offline.

Edited by Andrew G., 04 January 2014 - 17:18.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!