Metro PuTTY - port of PuTTY to the Windows Store (SSH app)

Hey guys,

I have been working on a port of PuTTY to the Windows Store for quite some time and I finally have it to the point where I can release it. Many of the options of PuTTY are supported and I hope to add many more features in the next few weeks. I'd appreciate any feedback and feature requests so I know what features to prioritize. There is a trial version so you do not have to buy it.

Thanks!

Matt

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/metro-putty/29c3210d-11c2-4348-83d3-79d2f414cc98

Supported features include:

- Save session settings that sync with MS account

- Copy and Paste

- UTF-8

- Private key authentication with PuTTY keys

Screenshots attached.

post-373322-0-21331400-1388811912.png

post-373322-0-03443700-1388811913.png

• Like 4

Well, I just tried it to simply SSH into my server at work, and it was pretty fantastic. I'm testing this on my Surface next, but I'll probably buy it today or next week sometime.

You need to add the following license information somewhere, otherwise you are in violation of the license even though you state that it's a port and link to the documentation: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/licence.html

I have it in the about page inside the app. In the first screenshot you can see the about button at the bottom of the page. Clicking that will show the copyright information and show another button labeled license. Clicking the license button will then show that license. This is mimicking PuTTY's behavior exactly. Do you think I should also put it in the app description somewhere?

post-373322-0-21916100-1388875994.png

I have it in the about page inside the app. In the first screenshot you can see the about button at the bottom of the page. Clicking that will show the copyright information and show another button labeled license. Clicking the license button will then show that license. This is mimicking PuTTY's behavior exactly. Do you think I should also put it in the app description somewhere?

I somehow missed that when I was looking. Just add the information on your additional terms page.

Well, I just tried it to simply SSH into my server at work, and it was pretty fantastic. I'm testing this on my Surface next, but I'll probably buy it today or next week sometime.

Awesome! I am trying to get an update out by the end of today or tomorrow to fix a private key issue and then some font size/type customizing. If you have any feature requests please let me know!

I somehow missed that when I was looking. Just add the information on your additional terms page.

Ok, that's fair. The next update (which is as soon as I fix a crashing bug) will include that. Thanks for making sure I'm following all the licenses!

Ok, that's fair. The next update (which is as soon as I fix a crashing bug) will include that. Thanks for making sure I'm following all the licenses!

you should be glad it's a BSD/MIT license since that isn't copy-left and makes it easy to incorporate into apps (and make derivative products) and make monies ;-)

you should be glad it's a BSD/MIT license since that isn't copy-left and makes it easy to incorporate into apps (and make derivative products) and make monies ;-)

:) Yes. When I was first joking with my friend about porting it to the Windows Store I wasn't expecting such a lenient license. That's when it stopped being a joke and I began to dig through the code to see if I could seriously port it.

Hello,

Personally, I find it disgusting that the license allows you to copy the code, close source it, then sell it if you wish (like OP). Easy money.

Excellent

Hello,

Personally, I find it disgusting that the license allows you to copy the code, close source it, then sell it if you wish (like OP). Easy money.

To each his own, the author didn't want a copy-left license for whatever reason, the same as the *BSDs. I've released code under similar licenses in the past.

The OP put more effort into it than simply copying the code anyway. There's a ton of software that incorporates PUTTY code similar to the OPs code. 

LLVM has the the same license. Without a permissive license like that, LLVM would not be the research platform it is today. People generally dislike the restrictions that come with GPL code for research for the very reason that distribution requires distributing ones code. Moreover, in many cases it can be incompatible with the terms of research grants.

In my opinion, building upon an existing code base is perfectly acceptable if you are offering something that wasn't available before. It's one thing to just compile the code and then pretend you did something, and quite another to use it to make a product that wasn't available before.

Hello,

While I can understand that, I wouldn't be so quick to judge. Sometimes, it's nice to be able to use components in this manner.

For example, I worked on a project last month where we needed to be able to use an Android tablet in a non-standard way. I had code from Google, that did exactly what I wanted it to do, but because of the GPL license, couldn't use it as even a component of a much larger project for my company.

Why did Google choose to give it a GPL license? Because their project used a component that had a GPL component in it.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Like all the open source components of VMWare ESXi, Mac OS X, Google Chrome etc?

Hey guys,

I have been working on a port of PuTTY to the Windows Store for quite some time and I finally have it to the point where I can release it. Many of the options of PuTTY are supported and I hope to add many more features in the next few weeks. I'd appreciate any feedback and feature requests so I know what features to prioritize. There is a trial version so you do not have to buy it.

Thanks!

Matt

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/metro-putty/29c3210d-11c2-4348-83d3-79d2f414cc98

Supported features include:

- Save session settings that sync with MS account

- Copy and Paste

- UTF-8

- Private key authentication with PuTTY keys

Screenshots attached.

How does it deal with application suspension and maintaining connectivity? Am I going to have to log in every time I want to switch to the app?

How does it deal with application suspension and maintaining connectivity? Am I going to have to log in every time I want to switch to the app?

It currently does not do anything. However, Windows does not close your socket right away, so the connection will stay open for some time while it is minimized (or even suspended). I think the best route is to do some kind of background task to keep the connection alive but I haven't had much time to look into this. Once I finish the current release (it's in testing now so shouldn't be long) this is one of the next major issues I want to tackle.