WHY am I getting so many popups!?!?!?!?!?

Yeah because the person's using Google Chrome! aggagagagagagaga!  :ninjapirate:

In all seriousness I use Chrome so it's only a joke ;-)

This is why Microsoft is looking past Win32. WinRT by default prevent random installs from the web.

• Like 3

Winferno Registry Cleaner - love that name! :laugh: Seriously, it seems that you have a great job. I envy you sometimes, really. Removing all that crap, and giving back to the customer a fast, working pc from my point of view is pure fun,  pleasure and satisfaction.

On a serious note, had to remove that Plus-HD crap of my Mom's Surface, it was really interfering with IE and generating popups like no tomorrow

On a serious note, had to remove that Plus-HD crap of my Mom's Surface, it was really interfering with IE and generating popups like no tomorrow

did she have any chrome / iexplore / firefox helpers in the c:\programdata\rhelpers directory.

i hope that's a pasted together pic, or someone did all that on purpose!

are people's computer's really that bad?   looking at that makes me feel great about the few things on my parents computer every now and then!

did she have any chrome / iexplore / firefox helpers in the c:\programdata\rhelpers directory.

I didn't look, BUT the weirdness and popps disappeared after the removal of that program so ......

i hope that's a pasted together pic, or someone did all that on purpose!

are people's computer's really that bad?   looking at that makes me feel great about the few things on my parents computer every now and then!

Nope that was an actual computer i cleaned up today. I usually don't see things THAT bad (39 things!) ... but I do see computers with a lot of that crap (10+) a few times a day, every day.

This is why Microsoft is looking past Win32. WinRT by default prevent random installs from the web.

This isn't an API problem. You can't protect the users from themselves.

Nope that was an actual computer i cleaned up today. I usually don't see things THAT bad (39 things!) ... but I do see computers with a lot of that crap (10+) a few times a day, every day.

Seen a few 20+ in my time. Tho its normally a half dozen to a dozen.

Had a women once pay me ?20 to fix her pc. Had no working keyboard and was a clone of the screenshot you gave. Ended up telling her to take ?10 and go buy a damn keyboard before even touching the thing. (this was about 8-10yr ago back in the height of winxp, when i used to fix "mates" pc`s).

And when everything is RT, do you not think the same will happen? To prevent this from happening again, would you be ok with MS locking down your PC so that only programs they approve will run? I'm sorry, but changing architecture will only stop the problem temporarily and I certainly don't want a locked down PC platform. Win32 isn't the problem, ignorant people are.

This isn't a problem with Windows.  These people could be running Linux and they would still eventually have this problem.  The problem is people see something that says, "Free Screensaver!" and they go, "Oh neat, why not?".  However, they don't notice that during the installation it asked them if they wanted the super duper shaken baby syndrome toolbar, they just kept clicking Next, Yes, and Agree until they got their free screensaver.  That's not even including the ones that claim to be a screensaver and don't even tell you about all the adware they're installing in the background.

Rinse and repeat a dozen or so times and you get computers like the one pictured in the OP.

It's not an API problem per se, but the "openness" of being able to download and install from anywhere is beginning to take it's toll. The fact that some of these shady companies are even beginning to air commercials on TV (Search Twitter for "MyCleanPC", and you'll weep), isn't helping either.

Metro apps by design don't have addons, they don't have toolbars, nothing. They're also sandboxed, further protecting the system and the user.

• Like 2

It's not an API problem per se, but the "openness" of being able to download and install from anywhere is beginning to take it's toll. The fact that some of these shady companies are even beginning to air commercials on TV (Search Twitter for "MyCleanPC", and you'll weep), isn't helping either.

Metro apps by design don't have addons, they don't have toolbars, nothing. They're also sandboxed, further protecting the system and the user.

So you're in favor of converting all of computing into an iOS style model? Where whole categories of applications can't be created because someone could abuse the API...

If Microsoft ever goes that closed on the desktop they'll cease to exist.

So you're in favor of converting all of computing into an iOS style model? Where whole categories of applications can't be created because someone could abuse the API...

If Microsoft ever goes that closed on the desktop they'll cease to exist.

You and I both know that the application landscape is changing. The fact that companies are now offering trusted stores for customers to download and install software is a huge benefit to users.