WHY am I getting so many popups!?!?!?!?!?

Had a customer call me today because she was trying to submit something to a government website,  but they only accept IE9 and Firefox. They don't accept IE 10, IE 11 or Chrome.

So she called me because she need to install Firefox. She was going to go looking for it but got scared and called me.

So i'm thinking "OH GOD, you go looking for it and you are going to end up with a bunch of crap on your system."

Well turns out she already did go looking for it and acquired

Chromium

Unchecky (Yep! Adware installs it)

Extended update

Drivercure

Weatherbug.

and still didn't have Firefox.

Revoke Admin Access and you will have an easy life;

Revoke Admin Access and you will have an easy life;

Actually if I did that to all 2,250 customers I would just be getting phone raped 24 /7 .

If they knew the admin password they would blindly enter it when asked. If they didn't know it they would phone rape me.

i hope that's a pasted together pic, or someone did all that on purpose!

It is and it isn't.

It is in the fact that I couldn't get it all in one screenshot so I had to take a screenshot and scroll down and take another. I tool about 3 or 4 screenshots to get the entire list.

But yes, that was 1 persons computer.

Actually if I did that to all 2,250 customers I would just be getting phone raped 24 /7 .

If they knew the admin password they would blindly enter it when asked. If they didn't know it they would phone rape me.

That sucks, the best approach is to get the bosses on your side at the start by explaining this is the #1 thing you can do to improve the security of their data and greatly reduce the risk of data loss it keeps the staff from whinging about it.

I feel your pain.

That sucks, the best approach is to get the bosses on your side at the start by explaining this is the #1 thing you can do to improve the security of their data and greatly reduce the risk of data loss it keeps the staff from whinging about it.

85% of them are home users.

Had a customer call me today because she was trying to submit something to a government website,  but they only accept IE9 and Firefox. They don't accept IE 10, IE 11 or Chrome.

So she called me because she need to install Firefox. She was going to go looking for it but got scared and called me.

So i'm thinking "OH GOD, you go looking for it and you are going to end up with a bunch of crap on your system."

Well turns out she already did go looking for it and acquired

Chromium

Unchecky (Yep! Adware installs it)

Extended update

Drivercure

Weatherbug.

and still didn't have Firefox.

This is one of the best arguments for App stores.

This is one of the best arguments for App stores.

Agreed. While there should always be a way to install from outside the store, if it were discouraged for regular users and the store better populated with legit versions of software, it would make our lives a lot easier.

The trick will be getting the programs in the store, and educating users to check there before going on the web.

Had a customer call me this morning telling me she got a new computer and needed help installing Solitaire. She said she went "Looking for it" and I instantly knew she loaded her computer up with adware.

Once I logged on she had about 6 difference things of adware. She said "I'm also getting a lot of popups"