Network Computers Not Showing

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 January 2014 - 20:38

So after 10 days of running my system straight, I ended up rebooting, to install a program.

I knew this could cause issues, as I remember doing a few things in that time.

Well, now in Windows Explorer, the Network icon, no computers show up now, and there should be some. The only thing I recall doing that could cause issues is removing items from Windows Explorer, but I went though the steps I took, and it does not seem to be the cause.

Anyone have an idea of what could cause this?

*also, a few of my programs didn't start on boot (checked CCleaner, they are still set to startup...weird).

#2 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 04 January 2014 - 20:48

Is network file sharing and discovery turned off (as if it is public network)?

#3 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 January 2014 - 21:00

Yes that is turned on (though not within Guest or Public section)..

And even if I am remembering wrong, and changed something else to remove items from Explorer (I was trying to get rid of Homegroup) it would not cause it to those...It was all homegroup related, and it didnt work (i checked anyway, and homegroup is still running and active).

#4 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Posted 04 January 2014 - 21:34

(1) Does the issue resolve itself if you disable the firewall?

(2) Does the issue resolve if you cycle network discovery: http://windows.micro...y#1TC=windows-7?

(3) Did you disable any related Windows services that are normally running (SSSP, etc.)?

(4) Did you disable netbios or switch your connection to a static IP from the client side (netbios won't normally function if so -- well according to what MS says, I never tested myself)?

#5 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 January 2014 - 23:28

No

No

No, all running

Those settings were never touched.

#6 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 04 January 2014 - 23:41

Hello,

So after 10 days of running my system straight, I ended up rebooting, to install a program.

I knew this could cause issues, as I remember doing a few things in that time.

OK what are those "few things" you did?

Ping the name of another computer on your network. Lets see if it resolves it.

#7 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Posted 05 January 2014 - 00:11

I'd check the netbios settings just to be sure regardless: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313314

#8 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:18

Yes, I checked it, I was just saying it was never changed.

Nothing was changed really, I did some things to remove Homegroup from Explorer as I said, but I also said I checked those tweaks, and they would not/are not causing this issue. They never worked anyway.

I checked all services, everything seems fine. This PC does show up on the other computers. It's just this one sees nothing randomly.

#9 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:36

Hello,

Yes, I checked it, I was just saying it was never changed.

Nothing was changed really, I did some things to remove Homegroup from Explorer as I said, but I also said I checked those tweaks, and they would not/are not causing this issue. They never worked anyway.

I checked all services, everything seems fine. This PC does show up on the other computers. It's just this one sees nothing randomly.

Did you ping the computer's name like I mentioned?

You did some things to remove Homegroup from Explorer, you checked those tweaks that they didnt cause any issues and it didnt work? You might want to post those tweaks here as Im sure there are several members here that know them and know exactly what they do.

I personally need to know if pinging the computer's name works. From there, I have a couple of other questions and/or partial solutions.

Is this wired or wireless?

#10 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:45

Well within HomeGroup, all I can say is it's a PITA! at the best of times

I would suggest shutting down all devices, network etc...

restart the network hardware, the master or host computer, and starting all slave/receiver devices, if you haven't already tried it, if you have please disregard this post.

#11 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:01

Hello,
Did you ping the computer's name like I mentioned?

You did some things to remove Homegroup from Explorer, you checked those tweaks that they didnt cause any issues and it didnt work? You might want to post those tweaks here as Im sure there are several members here that know them and know exactly what they do.

I personally need to know if pinging the computer's name works. From there, I have a couple of other questions and/or partial solutions.

Is this wired or wireless?

I pinged, and got a reply. It's working just fine.

The tweaks I am not sure about, it came from the Seven/Eight forums, like this one (but I'm pretty sure I didnt do that one) I just can't remember. I asked on those forums, but no answer. http://uglygizmo.blo...group-from.html

It appears to all be working normal, except my explorer Network icon does nothing when clicked, if I type the destination, it also does not work. It's very odd.

**I know I did this one, but not really network related. http://www.eightforu...dows-8-1-a.html

#12 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:06

Make a new temporary user and check whether the condition is global or profile-specific.

#13 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:13

I still feel this is probably a netbios issue. Here's something I found that may help: http://social.techne...ghborhood-empty

#14 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 January 2014 - 17:34

Created a new user, no change.

And so you want me to turn on Netbios then? That is what I gathered from that thread? Even though that was never on, and shouldn't be on...?

Also note, the weird thing, is under This PC, I can see Media Servers (my plex, and one from another computer) but just not anything under Network. So stupid, makes no sense.

#15 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Posted 05 January 2014 - 18:31

I was under the impression that the netbios protocol was used as part of the process of network discovery on DHCP connections (and indeed TCP/IP settings seem to indicate that it will use dhcp server settings for netbios per default). Is this no longer the case on modern Windows?

EDIT: also, I had forgotten, but I wanted you to make sure the Computer Browser service was enabled.