Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
longgonebn

Network Computers Not Showing

51 posts in this topic

So after 10 days of running my system straight, I ended up rebooting, to install a program.

I knew this could cause issues, as I remember doing a few things in that time.

Well, now in Windows Explorer, the Network icon, no computers show up now, and there should be some. The only thing I recall doing that could cause issues is removing items from Windows Explorer, but I went though the steps I took, and it does not seem to be the cause.

Anyone have an idea of what could cause this?

*also, a few of my programs didn't start on boot (checked CCleaner, they are still set to startup...weird).

Is network file sharing and discovery turned off (as if it is public network)?

Yes that is turned on (though not within Guest or Public section)..

And even if I am remembering wrong, and changed something else to remove items from Explorer (I was trying to get rid of Homegroup) it would not cause it to those...It was all homegroup related, and it didnt work (i checked anyway, and homegroup is still running and active).

(1) Does the issue resolve itself if you disable the firewall?

(2) Does the issue resolve if you cycle network discovery: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enable-disable-network-discovery#1TC=windows-7?

(3) Did you disable any related Windows services that are normally running (SSSP, etc.)?

(4) Did you disable netbios or switch your connection to a static IP from the client side (netbios won't normally function if so -- well according to what MS says, I never tested myself)?

No

No

No, all running

Those settings were never touched.

Hello,

So after 10 days of running my system straight, I ended up rebooting, to install a program.

I knew this could cause issues, as I remember doing a few things in that time.

OK what are those "few things" you did?

Ping the name of another computer on your network. Lets see if it resolves it.

Yes, I checked it, I was just saying it was never changed.

Nothing was changed really, I did some things to remove Homegroup from Explorer as I said, but I also said I checked those tweaks, and they would not/are not causing this issue. They never worked anyway.

I checked all services, everything seems fine. This PC does show up on the other computers. It's just this one sees nothing randomly.

Hello,

Yes, I checked it, I was just saying it was never changed.

Nothing was changed really, I did some things to remove Homegroup from Explorer as I said, but I also said I checked those tweaks, and they would not/are not causing this issue. They never worked anyway.

I checked all services, everything seems fine. This PC does show up on the other computers. It's just this one sees nothing randomly.

Did you ping the computer's name like I mentioned?

You did some things to remove Homegroup from Explorer, you checked those tweaks that they didnt cause any issues and it didnt work? You might want to post those tweaks here as Im sure there are several members here that know them and know exactly what they do.

I personally need to know if pinging the computer's name works. From there, I have a couple of other questions and/or partial solutions.

Is this wired or wireless?

Well within HomeGroup, all I can say is it's a PITA! at the best of times

I would suggest shutting down all devices, network etc...

restart the network hardware, the master or host computer, and starting all slave/receiver devices, if you haven't already tried it, if you have please disregard this post.

Hello,

Did you ping the computer's name like I mentioned?

You did some things to remove Homegroup from Explorer, you checked those tweaks that they didnt cause any issues and it didnt work? You might want to post those tweaks here as Im sure there are several members here that know them and know exactly what they do.

I personally need to know if pinging the computer's name works. From there, I have a couple of other questions and/or partial solutions.

Is this wired or wireless?

I pinged, and got a reply. It's working just fine.

The tweaks I am not sure about, it came from the Seven/Eight forums, like this one (but I'm pretty sure I didnt do that one) I just can't remember. I asked on those forums, but no answer. http://uglygizmo.blogspot.ca/2013/11/remove-skydrive-and-homegroup-from.html

It appears to all be working normal, except my explorer Network icon does nothing when clicked, if I type the destination, it also does not work. It's very odd.

**I know I did this one, but not really network related. http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/28025-pc-add-remove-folders-windows-8-1-a.html

Make a new temporary user and check whether the condition is global or profile-specific.

Created a new user, no change.

And so you want me to turn on Netbios then? That is what I gathered from that thread? Even though that was never on, and shouldn't be on...?

Also note, the weird thing, is under This PC, I can see Media Servers (my plex, and one from another computer) but just not anything under Network. So stupid, makes no sense.

I was under the impression that the netbios protocol was used as part of the process of network discovery on DHCP connections (and indeed TCP/IP settings seem to indicate that it will use dhcp server settings for netbios per default). Is this no longer the case on modern Windows?

EDIT: also, I had forgotten, but I wanted you to make sure the Computer Browser service was enabled.

Are you running on Wifi? Is AP Isolation or Client Isolation turned on in the router for your Wifi settings?

No WiFi,

And how do I make sure Computer Browser service is enabled?

**it is running.

No WiFi,

And how do I make sure Computer Browser service is enabled?

**it is running.

It should be listed with the other services; It should be set to manual IIRC. I figure you probably already checked this though, but just to be sure.

I just followed steps to disable homegroup, and setup just a normal network, just to see if it would reset something, still nothing.

It seems more of a visual issue (with explorer) then an actual hardware issue. Simple but a huge problem.

A few things to consider:

Verify that the registry settings mentioned here exist and are correct for displaying the Network folder in Explorer.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/remove-network-windows-explorer-navigation-pane

Try checking whether the following are present in regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBt\Parameters

?NodeType (delete if present and reboot)

?DhcpNodeType (delete if present and reboot)

Some posts online suggest that renaming the computer's workgroup to something different, and then resetting the name fixes similar issues.

Have you tried Using system restore and revert to before doing the changes?also have you tried using a different dns server?also, have you tried under admin cmd prompt and run ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew then ipconfig/flushdns?also what antivirus are you using?

I checked the registry for those two items, not there, also checked that link, everything is as it should be.

I can't do system restore. It's removes too many apps that I need right now, from the last time it was done. Basically more of an issue then I need. And from the looks at everything that I installed in that time, I have played with everything that could cause an issue, and no help.

I am not running antivirus. I enjoyed MSE too much, and they don't allow that use on 8.1, so I said screw it.

I checked the registry for those two items, not there, also checked that link, everything is as it should be.

I can't do system restore. It's removes too many apps that I need right now, from the last time it was done. Basically more of an issue then I need. And from the looks at everything that I installed in that time, I have played with everything that could cause an issue, and no help.

I am not running antivirus. I enjoyed MSE too much, and they don't allow that use on 8.1, so I said screw it.

Not related to the topic at hand, but MSE -> Windows Defender in 8.1...?

I have no experience of windows beyond windows 7, but for what it's worth

(maybe it'll help, maybe not, at the very least I'm hoping it might accidentally help)

Have you tried opening your services.msc

Make sure the peer networking grouping is started, and set to automatic

Make sure PNRP Machine Name Publication Service is started and set to Automatic

And check to make sure IPV6 is running?

Although this is more specific to media sharing/streaming, there might be something that might help

and you might look at it and think, 'Hey, I forgot to turn "this" on..

I'm only hoping this helps :)

1 person likes this

I have no experience of windows beyond windows 7, but for what it's worth

(maybe it'll help, maybe not, at the very least I'm hoping it might accidentally help)

Have you tried opening your services.msc

Make sure the peer networking grouping is started, and set to automatic

Make sure PNRP Machine Name Publication Service is started and set to Automatic

And check to make sure IPV6 is running?

Although this is more specific to media sharing/streaming, there might be something that might help

and you might look at it and think, 'Hey, I forgot to turn "this" on..

I'm only hoping this helps :)

Yes started, and as mentioned in the thread, I have gone through the entire services.msc to make sure everything needed is running.

1 person likes this