Network Computers Not Showing

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#46 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 08 January 2014 - 18:38

Oh no worries man, as I said before. We technically solved the issue with a workaround.

#47 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 96
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 08 January 2014 - 19:29

But I would love to be able to duplicate it on my system to find the root cause. Work around is not a fix ;)

I would be curious to do a sniff of the traffic from your machine when you do a run \\server to see what method it is or is not using to find the server. Is it getting a bad answer from something, does it have something cached? What?? Strange!

You want to download wireshark and take a sniff? I can do that on my working system to compare, etc.

I could understand if net view \\server did not work and therefor explorer didn't work either - but what is odd is net view works just fine.. So what changed in windows 8 that allows that to work, but not when you do a run \\server

Makes no sense really.. Is explorer running as different user or missing a token and is saying can not find but its really a access denied? Sniff would show us what it puts out on the network, and what it gets back if anything.. Maybe it is not even trying to find it via a network query?? But it didn't even work after we showed it had it in the cache with the nbtstat -c.. Very very strange!

edit: So for example

Here is me accessing my file server \\storage.. So you see my w8.1 box arp for dns mac, he then sends dns query for storage.local.lan (my domain and search suffix) to my dns at 192.168.1.253 gets his answer 192.168.1.8 He gets the answer, so he arps for the mac of .8. Then talks to storage at 192.168.1.8 via microsoft-ds (445) this is the first part of the file sharing conversation. This is direct hosted smb over tcp, or netbios-less SMB traffic. You see .8 arp for .210 and then answer back.

You can see the auth in there w81\budman - you then see other parts of the conversation to pull the file share list..

exampletransaction.png

So I would be real curious to see what happens on your machine when you do run \\server -- to see what is or isn't going on.

#48 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 January 2014 - 20:40

I don't suppose there is another app like that which does not need to be installed, or used with the PortableApps suite?

I hate installing apps that I will use once.

*one I found, though not sure if it shows the same useful information.

OdpvcJN.png

#49 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 January 2014 - 22:03

No that is not even close to the same thing ;) Looks to be logging information about conversations, but does not look to show the packets in order as they are sent and recv'd. Now I do see some netbios 137 connections, and looks like you sent out a directed broadcast on 137 And looks like you made atleast a start of the converstation with the 445 connection to .92.. Is there a way to export all the packets as they came in and went out in time order? Otherwise your just looking at really a summary of sessions with no real way to follow what the machine was trying to do and specific answers to specific questions, etc.

Who says you will only use it once? Wireshark is a requirement on any machine I use.. One of the first things I install!

So your fine with making registry changes on the fly and not even recording what you change - but installing an actual useful application is a no no.. You do understand it takes 2 seconds to uninstall it.. What do you think it will leave behind a reg key or 2? ;)

#50 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 January 2014 - 22:46

So, besides the network issue, I was also having issues with my Screensaver, it would not come on basically, after checking everything (mouse, power settings, apps etc) couldn't fix it.

Then today I wanted to change a setting for Skydrive which stupidly is only available through a modern app, so I open up the start screen (very hidden on my system due to Startisback) and click on PC Settings, it wouldn't open. A few other Modern apps wouldn't either.

So, I decided to give the old sfc /scannow a try, just randomly, not really expecting anything.

All three issues on reboot, FIXED!

LMAO, I don't know how that fixed it, because we went through all the tweaks and things I changed, but it fixed everything. Everything is back to default and working.

Thanks for all the help!!!!

Sorry Bud, I guess we won't find out exactly what caused it.

#51 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 January 2014 - 22:58

Well we can always look at the log - I do believe sfc puts everything it does in the cbs.log there is a way to parse it out with findstr /c:[SR] or something like that. Would have to google it been while since had to look into sfc stuff.