IPS Monitor Image Retention?

I have an Acer 23" IPS touch monitor. These monitors aren't supposed to have image retention are they? I just noticed major image retention on it today and now a flashing line about half the screen width and a little more than halfway down the screen. It's not even a year old. The flashing line obviously sounds like a defect but the image retention doesn't seem like it should happen. I assume I should contact Acer about a replacement but I thought LED's and LCD's didn't have image retention.

I went to Acer's support website and put in the product number and serial number and it gave me info to send it in for "repair". I'm wondering if I'm going about it wrong because I would think the display would be replaced, not repaired. I disconnected it in order to prepare for sending it back. I still had my Dell 27" 2560X1440 display and I must say it is awesome. I miss touch interaction but the resolution is spectacular. I wonder if I should go with a dual monitor setup when I get the Acer back. Use the Acer as my main display for windows and then have games come up on the Dell 27". Is that possible?

I'm gonna echo and say it definitely shouldn't happen. However I note that this did happen on my old phone which was also an IPS panel. It was never permanent retention just for a brief period after a highly contrasting colour. So it does happen I guess. It never bothered me enough on the phone to do anything about it but definitely shouldn't tolerate this on a desktop monitor.

It's rare but It definitely can happen, I had an IPS display on my old phone which had permanent retention. The answer I got (from Neowin actually) was it was because it was OLED based, and it was the OLED cells weakening.

Sry for the offtopic but what about ghosting? Is it something that is not supposed to be happening at all on IPS panels?

i am asking because i am on the search for a new laptop and keep seeing this issue mostly from LG panels.

Image retention is ghosting, they both mean the same thing.

It shouldn't happen in most cases, but it can. 

It's rare but It definitely can happen, I had an IPS display on my old phone which had permanent retention. The answer I got (from Neowin actually) was it was because it was OLED based, and it was the OLED cells weakening.

IPS is not OLED. 

IPS panels can get image retention if the same image if on for a long time, but it will fade away with some usage. if it's been on for a long time,it might take half a day or so, but it'll go.

OLED on the other hand will get shadowing or reverse image burn, as the cells die a little every time they're used and areas on the phone that always has the same white text, will on a full white image, show up as darkes shadows of the text that's usually there.

but you're phone was either IPS or OLED, not both ;)

Oops, you're right. The phone I had was a HD Super AMOLED PenTile display. *grimaces at it*

The phone I have now is an IPS. Must be where the confusion went.  :laugh:

So what is the difference between image retention (ghosting) and shadowing ?

They're the same.

though shadowing could be used to describe the reverse image burn(or burn out) on an OLED panel to.

An old (2003) Cinema Display I have has a pink tint over the majority of the screen, however up to 1cm from around the edges the picture's fine. Should have checked it before I bought it! I thought the problem may have been when I cleaned it, however many other users were reporting the same issue after many years of use. I definitely wasn't expecting this from an Apple display.

Anyway... have you tried a different monitor (just in case it's not your graphics card)? Does the problem reappear if you boot into safe mode?

These Acer monitors were supposed to be good I thought, but $399 for an IPS touch monitor does sound low. Maybe it's maybe with cheap components. Before this problem came up, the display was really nice and the touch in Windows 8.1 was nice too. Now that I have my Dell U2711 re-connected (I never sold it) I had forgotten how good the display can look. Not only is my resolution 2560 X 1440 but there is no glare like the Acer. I do like the touch, so maybe I'll get dual displays when I get it back.