Show us your Battlestations - 2014 Edition

50 miles for my nearest ikea. 

I was wondering what all the hubbub was about Ikea, almost ordered a desk online from them. Moved to Phoenix, went to an Ikea and was astonished... at how bad the quality was. With all the money you guys put into your PC's you put it on some of the flimsiest furniture I have ever seen.

I just ordered a new desk. Bush Series C in Mocha Cherry. I used to have the exact same desk, but in a breakup with the X she kept it. 1" thick thermally fused top. Waterproof. PVC edge banded. Exceptionally strong. Weighing in at roughly 140lbs, its a beast. The only beast I'd buy to put my components on. I would personally build the exact same desk with my own hands, but the price with real wood would be 2x as much.

Here is my current mess. It's getting a serious facelift over the next few weeks and I'll post it then. 

post-35193-0-97608100-1398372622.jpg

I was wondering what all the hubbub was about Ikea, almost ordered a desk online from them. Moved to Phoenix, went to an Ikea and was astonished... at how bad the quality was. With all the money you guys put into your PC's you put it on some of the flimsiest furniture I have ever seen.

I just ordered a new desk. Bush Series C in Mocha Cherry. I used to have the exact same desk, but in a breakup with the X she kept it. 1" thick thermally fused top. Waterproof. PVC edge banded. Exceptionally strong. Weighing in at roughly 140lbs, its a beast. The only beast I'd buy to put my components on. I would personally build the exact same desk with my own hands, but the price with real wood would be 2x as much.

Here is my current mess. It's getting a serious facelift over the next few weeks and I'll post it then. 

I got my desk from Ikea, too. After my duo stand broke the top, we saw that the thing was hollow. Wondered why it weighed a ton.

lol you don't need 150lb slab of wood to hold up less than 20lb of components.

No, you don't. The desk is 4 pieces. 2 planks for the legs, a privacy panel, and the back. In total. I agree, you don't NEED a sturdy desk, but I wouldn't put my 70$ mouse on a hollow core Ikea top. 

http://www.bushfurniturecollection.com/Bush-WC12936-Mocha-Cherry-Series-C-Corsa-Desk-72.htm

Not sure what hollow ikea crap you all bought, my desk is pretty damn solid, but then again I bought from the office line of furniture, not the residential line 

Temporary flat until me and my wife move, nothing special about the furniture as it came with the flat lol

What it is

• Asus 24" monitor x2
  • Xigmatek Asgard II case
  • Asus Evo R2.0 motherboard
  • AMD FX-8 8350 4.0ghz
  • Teamgroup Vulcan orange 8gb(2x4gb)
  • Gainward GTX 770 Phantom 4gb
  • Antec High current gamer 850w
  • WD caviar blue 1tb

Coming Soon

• SSD - not sure what yet
  • Wireless keyboard and mouse
  • Different case - cooling in this one is a bit crap under load
  • Non stock CPU cooler

2irxlw4.jpg

picture of my old tabletop that broke through, inside hallow:

IMG_0290_zpsb3ce43c7.jpg

New tabletop, took it from an old desk:

IMG_0291_zpsb3137719.jpg

(Yes, I'll fix wires in lower back)

Not sure what hollow ikea crap you all bought, my desk is pretty damn solid, but then again I bought from the office line of furniture, not the residential line 

Any Ikea furniture with a 1" or greater top is hollow. Ikea takes pride in 'revolutionizing' furniture. They make their furniture out of paper/particleboard. With the exception of items such as the 'galant'. I have never personally owned a piece of ikea furniture, however being a woodworker recognizing quality is a specialty. Hollow furniture is NEVER quality. If you want a 1" thick top expect that bastard to be heavy.Knock on almost any ikea furniture and it sounds like tapping on an empty cereal box. I chose to go with a Bush desk rather than building my own as the girlfriend wanted me to match it with the office exactly and the desk I had in the past was 1" thick fiberboard, thermally fused with a plastic laminate and PVC edge banding. It is far more durable than any other boxed furniture  I have ever seen. I do plan on building a few things for the office, but getting my desk in there is step 1. It should be shipped today so by tonight I'll have it put together and I'll post another pic.

Moral of the story - Don't get ikea unless you don't mind buying trash that won't last. Ikea is like Apple. You only got it because your friends have it and it 'looks' fashionable.

Any Ikea furniture with a 1" or greater top is hollow. Ikea takes pride in 'revolutionizing' furniture. They make their furniture out of paper/particleboard. With the exception of items such as the 'galant'. I have never personally owned a piece of ikea furniture, however being a woodworker recognizing quality is a specialty. Hollow furniture is NEVER quality. If you want a 1" thick top expect that bastard to be heavy.Knock on almost any ikea furniture and it sounds like tapping on an empty cereal box. I chose to go with a Bush desk rather than building my own as the girlfriend wanted me to match it with the office exactly and the desk I had in the past was 1" thick fiberboard, thermally fused with a plastic laminate and PVC edge banding. It is far more durable than any other boxed furniture  I have ever seen. I do plan on building a few things for the office, but getting my desk in there is step 1. It should be shipped today so by tonight I'll have it put together and I'll post another pic.

Moral of the story - Don't get ikea unless you don't mind buying trash that won't last. Ikea is like Apple. You only got it because your friends have it and it 'looks' fashionable.

Me and my wife found this out the hard way. When we first moved into our first house we bought ikea living room furniture and it just looked so worn out very quick after normal use

The only thing i would buy from ikea office wise is the black galant desk, i love the look of it.

I bought a TV stand from IKEA and it had a solid base and top. Weighed a tonne and cost a good few quid as well.

Moral of my story, not all IKEA stuff is cheap tat :-)

Me and my wife found this out the hard way. When we first moved into our first house we bought ikea living room furniture and it just looked so worn out very quick after normal use

The only thing i would buy from ikea office wise is the black galant desk, i love the look of it.

the galant series looks nice. Personally I like privacy panels to hide cables.

the galant series looks nice. Personally I like privacy panels to hide cables.

thats the only issue im having with it to be honest, I dont want cables hanging everywhere.

There are a few ideas on ikeahacker though,

Ive stood on my old school jerker, and I weigh 220 lbs. Its solid.

I've stood on things that weren't meant to be stood on me without a problem. Doesn't mean it wouldn't give out someday.

I bought a TV stand from IKEA and it had a solid base and top. Weighed a tonne and cost a good few quid as well. 

That is a smaller desk. So, that will be stronger.

I've stood on things that weren't meant to be stood on me without a problem. Doesn't mean it wouldn't give out someday.

Everything breaks with age.

When people bitch about Ikea stuff all being hollow and tat...

It says to me that they are cheap and bought the low-end stuff.  You can spend real money in Ikea and get some decent quality.

Admittedly, it's about 5% of their range.

When people bitch about Ikea stuff all being hollow and tat...

It says to me that they are cheap and bought the low-end stuff.  You can spend real money in Ikea and get some decent quality.

Admittedly, it's about 5% of their range.

I'm confused... Why spend 'real money' and get 'some decent quality' from Ikea when you can spend 'real money' and get 'exceptional quality' from other companies? To me, I see Ikea and it always comes paired with a pretentious hipster toting an iPhone and Macbook. Face it. Generally Ikea is garbage. I do however like the idea of purchasing a countertop for a workspace. In fact I am thinking of going to Ikea this weekend to purchase one for a workbench in the garage. 

To me, I see Ikea and it always comes paired with a pretentious hipster toting an iPhone and Macbook

If you buy ALL Ikea stuff and do your room out like one of their mockups, then yes.  But who REALLY does that?

Face it. Generally Ikea is garbage.

Ikea's cheap ranges are garbage.  They have many cheap ranges.  They also have a few middle ranges and some higher-end stuff.  You get what you pay for, same as much of life.

I do however like the idea of purchasing a countertop for a workspace.

I did it in my last place, was a gorgeous big expanse of desk all along one wall.  Went with granite too, looked pimp ;)

Links to the mid range and higher end stuff? When I was last at their store looking at some of the hollow stuff an employee said that it was the best they had

When I was last at their store looking at some of the hollow stuff an employee said that it was the best they had 

Needs firing.

Their kitchen surfaces are very strong, for example.  I have no idea what the names are. (Jsnurff? LOL)

Just built this cockpit a few months ago. I still have to tidy up the wiring and add the transducers to the frame and the 4th monitor for telemetry.

Mostly used for iRacing.

post-51500-0-23938200-1398723143.jpg

It has been a while since I participated. The pictures are pretty blurry as I snapped them in a rush. Ideally I'll be able to update them at some point.

Not a ton has changed in my setup since my last post. I don't anticipate any major changes in the next few years...

Some details on what is in the images:

1. Lenovo T520 (Work) - Connected to the laptop dock and shoved in the back corner as it usually is used to drive my screens when working from home.

2. Lenovo T530 (Personal) - My personal laptop. For some reason it often ends up on my desk even though it has its own desk and stand on the other side of the room.

3. Desktop - The workhorse that usually powers the triple screen setup for browsing, gaming, and personal programming projects.

4. Screens - 3 x Dell U2410

5. Keyboard - Das Pro with Cherry MX Blue switches

6. Mouse - SteelSeries Sensi. Great for gaming, but I use this mainly due to my need for very fast mouse movement in general.

attachicon.gif_2111451.JPG

attachicon.gif_2111453.JPG

I spy someone else who uses 3CX Phone System.

Here's my monitor setup, three Dell Ultrasharp 24" monitors, the outer two are 2408WPF, the middle is U2410.  I'm thinking of getting a U2713H Premier Color to replace one of the older 24".  Also planning on a Haswell-E 8Core and possibly Dual GTX 880's when they drop.

I have a pretty basic keyboard, I can find none I like :D  My mouse is the Razer Ouroboros.  Yes it is wired, I despise wireless keyboards and mice.  And my H.O.T.A.S. is the Saitek X-55 Rhino.

Tower is a Cooler Master HAF-X with blue lighting.

Insides:

Asus P8P67 Pro

Intel Core i7 2600K OC'ed to 4.5GHz

16GB RAM

eVGA Superclocked GTX 680

OCZ Vertex 256GB SSD

1TB WD HDD

Asus Xonar DX

Logitech 5.1 Surround sound I have' had for who knows how many years

14052987852_40d5216042_b_d.jpg

LogicalApex: You're left-handed?

Woah! Your eating a tub of butter?? :-/

LOL my impression as well but I think he attempt to show that he likes "I can't beieve it's not butter!" as much as his workstation. :)

McKay: I know you don't eat that thing like ice cream but the spoon does show like you enjoy that like it was an ice cream.  The cupcake shell on the wall does not explain much about the love of butter but the spoon does. :)

Tip of the day.  Even if the label says "I can't believe it's not butter!", but butter is butter.

OCZ gold series RAM sticks?

Crisp: How can you tell he's using OCZ RAM stick when I can't even make out what RAM he's using.  What clue did you see on the picture?  The picture didn't have anything that lead me to believe he has OCZ.  Can you tell how you spot that on the picture?

This is my little corner my wife allotted for me.

Bke4RMXCYAA3Cv6.jpg:large

LOL I really like that tiny Atari Pac-Man machine.  So tiny and cute.

Just built this cockpit a few months ago. I still have to tidy up the wiring and add the transducers to the frame and the 4th monitor for telemetry.

Mostly used for iRacing.

attachicon.gifdashdone.jpg

Nice toy you got there.  Cept for the fact that the chair is badly photoshopped.

14052987852_40d5216042_b_d.jpg

LOL I love those junks under your monitors.  This is a lot more like my "Battlestation".

I do not know how people got their "Battlestation" so clean and clear.  Even if I clear the junk off my desk, I still have dust.  I would have to air-blow my Desktop PC often to have it working.  Can anyone give me some idea why you guys do not have any dust in your house?  Serious question.  I really wanted to have a clean room without dusts.  And yes I do have a fan to suck the air out of my room for air circulation.  Where I live, there's no way for air to circulate.

Xenosion: Probaby not a good idea to jam a system using only 600Watt (or to be precise 480Watt) PSU.  I mean you have like 7 HDD + 2 ROM drives in there.  Not only that, your ASUS GPU is consuming extra juice.  Is that your current build?  I mean are you actually using that build?  Does not look like it has enough juice to support the entire system in the long run.  You may run into a lot of trouble and will have to troubleshoot why your PC is not working properly, later on.  Just a thought.