Should I Break a Board Game or Preserve it?

Not literally break it but split the pieces up.

I have recently bought a few older board games, one of which is Cluedo (or Clue for some people).

Since purchasing I discovered the game was manufactured by two different companies - Waddingtons and Parker.  My parents bought me the Waddingtons version in the late 1990's/early 2000's.  The only real difference between the Waddingtons and Parker versions (of that time) are the playing pieces, cards and colours on the playing board.

Waddingtons playing pieces:

1272709972-7976-0.jpg

The Parker version from a year or so later has playing pieces like this:

Clue-DVD-Game-suspect-game-pieces-2006-H

although this particular picture has some additional players added by a special version of the game.

So...

I purchased a 2nd/3rd/4th hand Parker version from ebay as I prefer the Parker playing pieces, but I don't want to simply swap the games as my parents bought me the Waddingtons version so it's sort of sentimental.  At the moment, I have put the new pieces with my game and left everything else (the old pieces are in a bag, kept with the game).

Both companies have now been bought by Hasbro, who have released yet another iteration of the game, which I don't like the look of.

I am not a collector of board games but I've fond my recent spree has led me to have a good number that aren't sold any more (unless from ebay).  But what I am struggling with is that I will eventually (and most probably) get a much older version of Cluedo from my parents (from the 1970's), which would be my third version if I kept the Parker game intact.

I enjoy board games and could start collecting them as a something to pass down to future generations.  I certainly find versions of Monopoly and Cluedo which are 30+ years old fascinating to look at.

I am a little torn as I like to preserve things but at the same time, if I was going to start "collecting" Cluedo games then I currently have two out of about 20 versions, at least 5 are "normal" and not themed so it is a possible I could grab just the normal ones but then they would just be stored in a plastic box in the loft.

I know it's a bit of a long and nearly pointless thread but what would you do?

The only real difference between the Waddingtons and Parker versions (of that time) are the playing pieces, cards and colours on the playing board.

Isn't that pretty much the entire contents of the box then?