Girlfriend Friendly PC Games

I've set up a Steam account recently for the girlfriend with Septerra Core & Toki Tori, she's got little history of video games, but is really interested in various indie titles she see's me picking up.

Brief overview of her tastes:

The Sims Series

Pokemon (Gameboy)

Rayman (non-3D)

To The Moon

Brothers:  A Tale of Two Sons

Kingdom Hearts

Unsure what GPU her laptop packs, but I do know she's got an an i3 w/ 8GB of RAM running Windows 8.1

I think I can keep her covered on the platformers (I am still open to suggestions), but I am at a complete loss when it comes to RPGs / JRPGs on the PC, especially turn-based ones - basically, anything that doesn't require much in the way of reactions / timing would be good for her.

Does anyone have any suggestions worth checking out?

Well, Final Fantasy 7 and 8 are available through Steam, they're the de facto JRPG's to go for.

I can't really think of any more other than The Last Remnant... which is a bit flakey.

Guacamelee is a great platformer, it also features co-op, if you hadn't seen that one yet.

There aren't a ton of turned based RPGs out there, and most of the good JRPGs I can think of aren't on PC, but as noted above, FF7 and 8 are in the Steam store now. There's also X-Com, which is turned based, but Sci-Fi. You could also try the Civilization series if turned based is her thing.

Get her a controller for Big Picture Mode.

Limbo

Bastion

Fez

Spelunky (very fun co-op)

Heavily modded Skyrim

And I second the Guacamelee nomination

Blizzard's Hearthstone has recently reached the Open Beta phase if you think she'd have any interest in a RPG card game.

I'd also download emulators and use a controller with Motion in Joy to play titles like 1080p Ocarina of Time.

When she starts getting good, introduce her to Dark Souls (Controller required.)

I also forced my g/f to learn how to dominate Minesweeper, because I truly believe it will make you smarter.

She has been a huge Final Fantasy and Zelda fan overall and has recently been playing Path of Exile.

You could also try the Civilization series if turned based is her thing.

If your GF is into Civ, then I suggest you marry her ASAP :laugh:

Btw, 2014 is a great year for turn-based RPGs. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=741172

I wish I didn't have a job and could play most of them...

Edit: That list doesn't even include PC ports/remakes of older games.

Also check out GOG.com , they got a really good list of games.

I love GOG, but I want to stick with Steam / Origin to keep things simple.

We played Age of Empires against each other thats fun! Anything like that. Red Alert. All the classics ;-)

I'm not so sure how she'd take to RTS games, but I think I picked up AOE II HD in the sales, so I might pop it on sometime when she's around.

Well, Final Fantasy 7 and 8 are available through Steam, they're the de facto JRPG's to go for.

I can't really think of any more other than The Last Remnant... which is a bit flakey.

Yeah, I want to get her into FFVII, but it seems to require a lot of fiddling.  The models have not aged very well and the midi soundtrack puts me off, never mind her.  I have got it on my PC and I've picked up the 20gb TIFA Bootleg Mod Collection, but I don't fancy fiddling with / downloading (she lives in the sticks, so Hick Internet is all she gets) that to her laptop.

I'll probably set it up on my rig at some point to see how she fairs with it, I don't really want to go through it all on her laptop to find she doesn't enjoy it.

Trine and Trine 2.

I've got both of these on my rig and they're certainly on the list.

Get her a controller for Big Picture Mode.

Limbo

Bastion

Fez

Spelunky

Heavily modded Skyrim

And I second the Guacamelee nomination

Limbo is a good shout, its another I've got on the list of things to play with her. I've got Skyrim & Bastion and I think she would struggle a lot with those, however I will take a look at Fez / Spelunky, thanks.

I picked up Guacamelee! Gold Edition in the sales and I'm yet to play it, hearing good things about it though.

Guacamelee is a great platformer, it also features co-op, if you hadn't seen that one yet.

There aren't a ton of turned based RPGs out there, and most of the good JRPGs I can think of aren't on PC, but as noted above, FF7 and 8 are in the Steam store now. There's also X-Com, which is turned based, but Sci-Fi. You could also try the Civilization series if turned based is her thing.

I've got XCOM, but I'm not 100% sure if she'd get into that... but then again, she's a bit of a Star Trek nerd, so it's a possibility.

Civilization is a very good shout, I'd forgotten about that one.  I've got Civ 5 on Steam, but it's not really my thing, however if it'll run on her laptop, I'll definitely give it a go.

Solitaire

Maybe, but I don't think she has the Patience for that ;)

If your GF is into Civ, then I suggest you marry her ASAP :laugh:

Btw, 2014 is a great year for turn-based RPGs. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=741172

I wish I didn't have a job and could play most of them...

Haha, if either of us cared for marriage, I think it's a dead-cert that it would happen!

Thanks for that link, I'll trawl through it tonight.

Off the top of my head, Mark of the Ninja and The Bridge. :)

I've set up a Steam account recently for the girlfriend with Septerra Core & Toki Tori, she's got little history of video games, but is really interested in various indie titles she see's me picking up.

Brief overview of her tastes:

The Sims Series

Pokemon (Gameboy)

Rayman (non-3D)

To The Moon

Brothers:  A Tale of Two Sons

Kingdom Hearts

Unsure what GPU her laptop packs, but I do know she's got an an i3 w/ 8GB of RAM running Windows 8.1

I think I can keep her covered on the platformers (I am still open to suggestions), but I am at a complete loss when it comes to RPGs / JRPGs on the PC, especially turn-based ones - basically, anything that doesn't require much in the way of reactions / timing would be good for her.

Does anyone have any suggestions worth checking out?

Go play Dota 2 with her. You wont need to find another game (for her or yourself) for years.

Go play Dota 2 with her. You wont need to find another game (for her or yourself) for years.

Seriously?

"basically, anything that doesn't require much in the way of reactions / timing would be good for her."

He mentioned The Sims, Kingdom Hearts, and JRPGs; and you suggest Dota? :|

My wife plays pretty much the same games I do.. CoD.. CSGO.. How about you her a variety of games and let her choose for herself.. Girls can be just as much as hardcore gamers as guys.. if not more.. 

basically, anything that doesn't require much in the way of reactions / timing would be good for her.

Limbo

Spelunky (very fun co-op)

I'd stay clear of Spelunky in that case. It's a roguelike which requires a lot of trial and error. Very frustrating to most hardcore gamers never mind trying to introduce someone to them :P

Limbo is very time focused too for making jumps. No where near as bad as Spelunky and still accessible but just a heads up.

Double Fine make some great games too; The Cave (similar to Trine), Costume Quest (light hearted RPG) and Stacking (puzzle-adventure).

Mass Effect and Dragon Age series will keep her busy on the RPG front for a while. Although older, Star Wars KOTOR 1 and 2 are great (and you said she is a sci-fi geek).

The Witcher 1 and 2 are some of the best PC RPGs in recent years.

Surprised nobody mentioned Portal 1 and 2 yet. They have twitchy-jump timing puzzles but a lot of females love the series.

Plants vs Zombies, Peggle, Braid, could go on and on :P

Although not available on Steam/Origin I still think Minecraft deserves a shout. She'll love it if she is on the creative side.

I really enjoyed XCOM, FFVII, Eets, the Myst games (although that's going back really far, they are still my favorite), Fable series, Portal, and many co-op games. I probably would have never played Borderlands on my own, but playing co-op with my significant other was fun. We're currently playing Monaco together.

I've had trouble finding many JRPG games that I can really get into, outside of the Final Fantasy series. 

Edit: Oh yes Mass Effect! Great series :)

No offense, but I'd rather eat my own head than play DOTA.  It's also hardly an easy game to learn; she struggles with the pace of Rayman, never mind a MOBA. She's also got no interest in multiplayer/competitive games

My wife plays pretty much the same games I do.. CoD.. CSGO.. How about you her a variety of games and let her choose for herself.. Girls can be just as much as hardcore gamers as guys.. if not more.. 

Unfortunately, she has absolutely no interest in FPS. If she did, we'd be sorted!  I've got just about every FPS worth buying (and many that weren't) going back to Doom. As I said above, she's just got no interest in MP or competitive games and finds FPS' in particular pretty mind-numbing.

Limbo is a good shout, its another I've got on the list of things to play with her. I've got Skyrim & Bastion and I think she would struggle a lot with those, however I will take a look at Fez / Spelunky, thanks.

I picked up Guacamelee! Gold Edition in the sales and I'm yet to play it, hearing good things about it though.

My g/f initially struggled with precision pathfinding and timing related events, especially when involving an analog stick. Ocarina of Time fixed all of that though.

She fell for the style, gameplay, and plot and couldn't put it down. She replayed it years later in a quest for a no death save record. She later found Shadow of the Colossus and beat it on hard mode. They are her 2 favorite titles.

Fantastic learning curve, mentally challenging, highly satisfying, and the pace fits to your play style. Most combat senarios are broken down into 1 on 1 encounters with a break of movement or puzzle in between.

Your a better gamer after OoT, I can't recommend it enough. (Especially for casual gamers.)

+ it can be ran through a selection of visual mods

maxresdefault.jpg

Also,

No offense, but I'd rather eat my own head than play DOTA. 

LOL

My g/f initially struggled with precision pathfinding and timing related events, especially when involving an analog stick. Ocarina of Time fixed all of that though.

She fell for the style, gameplay, and plot and couldn't put it down. She replayed it years later in a quest for a no death save record.

Your a better gamer after OoT, I can't recommend it enough. (Especially for girls.)

Hmmm, interesting, I've got a GameCube somewhere, but also got a Wii on the way, so I may pick up OoT just for me, never mind her!

I really enjoyed XCOM, FFVII, Eets, the Myst games (although that's going back really far, they are still my favorite), Fable series, Portal, and many co-op games. I probably would have never played Borderlands on my own, but playing co-op with my significant other was fun. We're currently playing Monaco together.

I've had trouble finding many JRPG games that I can really get into, outside of the Final Fantasy series. 

Edit: Oh yes Mass Effect! Great series :)

Just had a quick Google of Eets, I'll definitely add that to the list!

I'd stay clear of Spelunky in that case. It's a roguelike which requires a lot of trial and error. Very frustrating to most hardcore gamers never mind trying to introduce someone to them :p

Limbo is very time focused too for making jumps. No where near as bad as Spelunky and still accessible but just a heads up.

Double Fine make some great games too; The Cave (similar to Trine), Costume Quest (light hearted RPG) and Stacking (puzzle-adventure).

Mass Effect and Dragon Age series will keep her busy on the RPG front for a while. Although older, Star Wars KOTOR 1 and 2 are great (and you said she is a sci-fi geek).

The Witcher 1 and 2 are some of the best PC RPGs in recent years.

Surprised nobody mentioned Portal 1 and 2 yet. They have twitchy-jump timing puzzles but a lot of females love the series.

Plants vs Zombies, Peggle, Braid, could go on and on :p

Although not available on Steam/Origin I still think Minecraft deserves a shout. She'll love it if she is on the creative side.

Thanks for the heads up on Spelunky. I've played a little bit of Limbo and I think she could just manage it.

I'll definitely check out The Cave & Costume Quest, but I've already picked up Stacking, I cannot wait to give that a go!

I completely forgot about SW KOTOR! I love both of those games and they're exactly what she'd be into (even though she hasn't seen Star Wars?). If I recall correctly, she could probably get into ME1 as it's very similar combat to KOTOR, but ME2 / 3 went more third-person shooter focused, didn't they?

Dragon's Age would also be perfect, another I completely forgot.

Unsure about The Witcher, I've only played a little bit of the first one, but I think it might be a bit too testing for her timing / reaction skills.  I vaguely remember a lot of swordplay and timing involved.

Portal games would be good, I had been thinking about those.

Plants vs Zombies is a great shout, I'll add that to the list. Was the sequel any good? I'll check out Peggle, and Braid is towards the top of my list - I adore that game.

She loves Minecraft, so as long she doesn't expect me to play (I'm awful at stuff like that), that can go on the list!

Let's face it one of the most popular game with girls remains WoW.

Nah, she absolutely hates WoW.

Introduce her to pretty much any Nintendo adventure game of the last 20yrs and she,ll be gently eased into gaming.

I know this as my twin sister who kinda "put up with"** video games when we were wee, is a bit of a Nintendo geek now as an adult.

Its insane as she literally wouldn`t touch any other games and even now shuns gaming in general. (Nowdays she "puts up with PVZ 1&2 and Angry Birds").

She`s also not alone, check the net out for literally a bizillion "geek girls" and there gaming accolades. Many of them are Nintendo FREAKS!!

But in general, now days the girls and the boys are much more equally represented with fairness, aside from the usual pre-teen/teen idiots, but hey, thats the net for ya.

And as a whole girls in gaming are everywhere and just as good as boys. The general zeitgeist as it were is that of equality.

**as in girl for "secretly enjoyed".

Oh and FEZ would be a MUST for anyone, Male of Female. Also Rayman Legends/Origins are both excellent. Terraria and maybe get wee SNES emu going.

Donkey Kong Country 1,2,3, Super Mario World, Yoshi`s Island, Zelda, would be a good start for her there. Or if you know any good Mega Drive titles do same for that.

Also the lack of analogue sticks on consoles of this era may be a plus point as she is on her way to becoming more adept.

• 4 weeks later...