Graphics card for 120fps setup

Im building a new PC and I want to get into gaming at 120fps+ with that LightBoost hack. I've been using the same monitor since 2009 and its time for an upgrade.

Right now I'm thinking of using 2 GTX 770 2GB cards in SLI. Is this over/under kill for High settings @ 120 fps? I'll be starting out with just a single monitor setup but might go up to three, space-permitting.

CPU is an AMD FX-8350 with 16GB of RAM.

For high resolution high quality gaming at a smooth 120FPS nothing will be overkill. Make sure to go G-sync then, will probably help more than being able to reach 120FPS.

With two GTX 770's you still won't get 120FPS in most games at high settings.

You still didn't specify resolution. If you are talking 1080p then i guess, 1440p? 2160p? Which is it though?

You can 100% do it in VGA though, i know that much for sure :p

With a G-Sync monitor you can have lower framerates (down to around 30fps) and it'll still look butter smooth. Honestly, I'd just invest in G-Sync rather than more GPU(s).

why 120 FPS? is your eye only 60 FPS anyway?

It does help, but 60FPS on a good monitor will be almost as good.

Stuff like LightBoost gets rid of motion blur almost completely. It's similar to Black Frame Insertion on TV's. It looks really nice but requires smooth framerates to have any effect. And Lightboost only works with 120Hz monitors as far as I know.

Still, a proper G-Sync monitor will probably help more.

Does high FPS even matter these days?  Game developers use elapsed time and not static values for updates.  Plus, don't most games actually limit you to 60fps, even if their fps display shows higher?

I have one GTX 680 and I use 2560x1440 resolution.  It is decent (50+), but not 120fps.

Games don't go over your monitor's refresh rate since there's no point. It's usually 60Hz so games don't go over 60FPS. If you create a custom resolution with a higher refresh rate you'll get a higher FPS 'cap' too.

And Lightboost only works with 120Hz monitors as far as I know.

Yeah, because LightBoost is a hack that uses the strobe effect on 3D monitors for 2D CRT-like motion, and there aren't any 3D displays less than 120Hz.

If it's just to get low latency and fluid framerate, favor a g-sync monitor. Actually favor a g-sync monitor whatever you do because it's really awesome. 

That said, I run a 120hz Lightboost monitor (the BenQ XL2720T) with 2 GTX 760s and it's been great so far in games like Bioshock Infinite, Team Fortress 2 and Starcraft 2 (admitedly, I haven't thrown anything super heavy duty at it like Metro Last Light). It also works with AMD cards now so don't limit your search to NVIDIA, there are some very good offerings by AMD now (hmmm... custom R9 290s...).

By the way, if you haven't already, check out http://www.blurbusters.com/ , great source of info about high framerate displays.

Games don't go over your monitor's refresh rate since there's no point. It's usually 60Hz so games don't go over 60FPS. If you create a custom resolution with a higher refresh rate you'll get a higher FPS 'cap' too.

I know that.  I did not know he was using a 120Hz monitor.

why 120 FPS? is your eye only 60 FPS anyway?

Because it looks and feels way better, and no your eye is not 60fps. Just move your mouse quickly across the screen and you'll easily see individual frames. Actually eyes are not fixed-framerate cameras and even at 120fps you can still see individual frames on fast motion. I think the real limit would be somewhere in the 2000+ fps.

G-Sync includes an (official) LightBoost sequel called Ultra Low Motion Blur (ULMB) that's way better than the LightBoost hack.

That's interesting. I'm still waiting on something that combines G-Sync and the strobing backlight feature before I upgrade my monitor though; you currently can't have both ULMB/Lightboost and G-Sync.

It should already be possible - Mark Rejhon (Blur Busters guy) already posted about G-Sync + ULMB strobing at the same time, albeit at 85Hz with 144Hz later on hopefully. To be honest, if you're just considering LightBoost right now, I'd totally recommend G-Sync over it. LightBoost on the other hand is most effective when you can maintain a framerate of 120Hz which of course depends on screen resolution you're gaming at, GPU(s) and the games themselves. Oh, and ULMB has a hardware button to enable/disable too! More information about G-Sync + ULMB should be made public after the NDA lifts.

Nvidia announced G-Sync's partners and releases for Q2 2014, including a 1440p G-Sync monitor! As long as it's not a TN panel (IPS please!), I'll grab one up without thinking twice.

ASUS announced their 1440p 120Hz G-Sync monitor for $799: http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/CES-2014-ASUS-ROG-SWIFT-PG278Q-120-Hz-G-Sync If you have the money and want something superior to LightBoost without adding more GPUs, grab that monitor when it's released! Of course, the 1080p offerings will be cheaper if you want 1080p.

Sadly, it's a TN panel which means no-go for me. I really, really hope somebody releases a 1440p 120Hz IPS panel G-Sync monitor. Hell, I'd be content with a VA panel.

EDIT: And AMD is showing off FreeSync, the G-Sync alternative!

ASUS announced their 1440p 120Hz G-Sync monitor for $799: http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/CES-2014-ASUS-ROG-SWIFT-PG278Q-120-Hz-G-Sync If you have the money and want something superior to LightBoost without adding more GPUs, grab that monitor when it's released! Of course, the 1080p offerings will be cheaper if you want 1080p.

Sadly, it's a TN panel which means no-go for me. I really, really hope somebody releases a 1440p 120Hz IPS panel G-Sync monitor. Hell, I'd be content with a VA panel.

EDIT: And AMD is showing off FreeSync, the G-Sync alternative!

my understanding is that its not possible to have a IPS monitor at 120hz...thats why TN panels are used

i am not counting those monitor 'hacks' that i would find doubtful for the long haul  :p

my understanding is that its not possible to have a IPS monitor at 120hz...thats why TN panels are used

i am not counting those monitor 'hacks' that i would find doubtful for the long haul  :p

It's entirely possible, but the delay on an IPS panel can make the refresh out of sync with the panel updates.  Getting 100 frames at 120hz would be awkward