• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 06 January 2014 - 19:15

I have a Synology 1511+ NAS with the DX510 add-on. The 1511+ has 5 x TB Seagate Barracuda drives and the addon has 5 WD Red NAS drives. One of the WD Red's was DoA when I got the 5 just FYI. Anyways, my setup is configured as "Synology hybrid raid with 1 drive tolerance". I should have set it up as 2 drive tolerance but I'm glad at least the 1 drive tolerance was there because one of the Seagate drives went bad. I bought another WB Red to replace the Seagate. Is there a problem with that? All the drives are 3TB drives, just the main unit will 1 have 1 WD 3 TB drive and 4 Seagate 3TB drives. I assume the make/model doesn't matter as long as the capacity is the same, right?

#2 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

Posted 06 January 2014 - 19:23

I don't think there will be a problem. RAID drives don't have to be identical, though if they aren't the same capacity they will be limited to whatever the smallest drive is.

#3 froggyliver

froggyliver

Neowinian

Posted 06 January 2014 - 19:24

Typically RAID requirement is at least minimum the size of the other drives and same drive connector. Brand doesn't matter. But with a NAS there are other possible things to look at too such as drives made for a NAS and also what Synology said they are compatible with. But if you are using a WD Red then just grab another same size.

#4 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 06 January 2014 - 19:32

Moved to Hardware Hangouts

#5 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 06 January 2014 - 23:00

Yeah I didn't really know what I was doing when I set it up with Seagate Barracuda drives. I need to figure out a way to replace my remaining 4 Seagate drives with WD Red NAS drives.