Watched all the gameplay videos on IGN last night, and this game is looking beautiful. Looking forward to seeing what other massive creatures are on offer.

This game is a really great twist on the usual multiplayer formula. It's such a shame that Turtle Rock is neutering the graphics and performance by shooting for parity between the PC, PS4, and Xbone. It could have been so much better...

I must have been living under a rock, because I didn't know Turtle Rock had split away from Valve. So I looked it up and sure enough, there's an interview published today regarding what really happened:

Why Turtle Rock left Valve

In 2008, Valve acquired Left4Dead developer Turtle Rock Studios -- but later divested the studio, which continued to work on the franchise. In a new interview conducted at an event for its latest game, the 2K Games-published next-gen shooter Evolve, co-founder Phil Robb delved more into his studio's relationship with its former owner:

"Whenever we were working with Valve, it was kind of crazy. They take their time, y'know? Valve time's a well-known thing, but for us it was like we want to get this **** done... The culture changed a lot when we became Valve, and not all of it was what we felt was the right way to go, and it wasn't the way that we wanted to work."

Robb told Eurogamer that "we got a lot of it back" when the studio regained its independence, a decision he said was reached mutually, as it "made the most sense." 

The full Q&A has more details of the Valve/Turtle Rock breakup.

I must have been living under a rock, because I didn't know Turtle Rock had split away from Valve. So I looked it up and sure enough, there's an interview published today regarding what really happened:

Why Turtle Rock left Valve

The full Q&A has more details of the Valve/Turtle Rock breakup.

Yeah it has been semi-reported on before. Valve was really cool about it. When they were still Valve South, they were kitted out with an office paid for by Valve and were allowed to keep it when they split (Y)

Yeah it has been semi-reported on before. Valve was really cool about it. When they were still Valve South, they were kitted out with an office paid for by Valve and were allowed to keep it when they split (Y)

Like I said, I've been, apparently, living under a rock. I had no idea. I've play every Turtle Rock game, then I saw this was in partnership with another company instead of Valve I was thrown for a loop :laugh:

This game is a really great twist on the usual multiplayer formula. It's such a shame that Turtle Rock is neutering the graphics and performance by shooting for parity between the PC, PS4, and Xbone. It could have been so much better...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed. It looks good because it's using CryENGINE but I feel like it could look even better if they went all out with the PC version. They're not the first developer to hold a game back for the sake of visual consistency across platforms.

• 2 months later...

Very refreshing approach to things, look forward to this one but also to see how it changes over time, I think the devs will keep adding to this game quite a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Releasing Oct 21st on PC, PS4 and X1.

Wooo yeah, loving this new trend of confiming games just a few months before they release. Hope there are no delays. I don't like finding out about amazing experience i'm sure to love, only to find out "coming holiday 2015". I live day by day, CD Projekt Red :rofl:

Evolve: Alien Dogs, Robots, Mini-Guns and Megamouths

By Ben Barrett on May 27th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

evolvehead.jpg

I think my favourite thing about Evolve is its logo. It?s intricately designed, simple genius. Those of you laughing, or perhaps suggesting that says more about the game than the logo, can all shush. Turtle Rock?s Left 4 Monsters sits squarely in the middle of familiarity and originality for me, taking a co-op formula I appreciated and placing it in a more attractive sci-fi sphere. Changing from a long trek through swarms of undead to a single, flowing battle against one foe appeals more to me too. There?s a new trailer with details on the latest four additions to the good guys and the newest map below.

What is worrying is the lack of information about differing opposing forces. Since we last heard from them Turtle Rock have been fully shtum on what variations there might be from the Goliath seen here and, well, everywhere else in their media so far. L4D extended its playtime with the massive selection of maps, modes and scenarios that could be constructed with its many small moving parts. The key difference is how powerful Evolve?s individual characters are in comparison, which skews the algorithm. If the monster can clear buildings in a single bound, the exact intricate details of those buildings becomes much less relevant. Equally, if it can be tied down by numorous special powers, the geometry of nearby areas when it comes to choke points and open clearings becomes less relevant.

According to all reports, Evolve?s already more than enough for a few hours at a preview event. The next stage is to ensure it can hold our attentions for the weeks, months and years that multiplayer titles require. Titanfall is currently battling that conundrum despite being one of the most hype-filled releases in recent memory. There?s potential in Evolve, Turtle Rock just need to leverage it. Nathan?ll have some more impressions in the near future.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the concept. The only issue is performance. Crysis 3 is very demanding and because this game uses the same engine, it may be just as demanding.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi at all,

a little question did some of you guyz made it in to the alpha from the invite from last week?

many thanks in advance

Val.

No interest in the alpha or beta, sorry :D

But looking forward to this, already pre-ordered on X1, though have a feeling it will be delayed to lovely old 2015...

• 4 weeks later...

No interest in the alpha or beta, sorry :D

But looking forward to this, already pre-ordered on X1, though have a feeling it will be delayed to lovely old 2015...

Predicting the future neoadorable, Don't you dare tell me Sunset Overdrive is getting delayed! :P

Evolve has been delayed until Feb 2015 - http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/5/5972439/evolve-delayed-to-february-2015

Well it looks like my busy October is going to be a bit more affordable, while my February is going to extremely expensive.