win8.1

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#61 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 26 January 2014 - 15:40

the power button on the screen is very helpful when you have a tablet.

#62 Kyang

Kyang

Posted 26 January 2014 - 15:46

Sarcasm?

Anyways, a thought not in response to the above quote,

There's now at least 3 Start buttons, 3 power buttons and 2 search buttons.  I understand tech support can be difficult, but this is kinda funny.

#63 OP +FaiKee

FaiKee

Neowinian

Posted 30 January 2014 - 13:49

screen_197_zps37939e1c.jpg

#64 Sionic Ion

Sionic Ion

It is upon us

Posted 30 January 2014 - 14:35

Very upsetting Microsoft is being controlled by consumers to reverse progress. I hope the end result isn't hindered by all of this. We're supposed to have one OS for all devices. With the desktop being made a bigger part in the next release of Windows, its like its not going away and the Modern UI will be held behind from being made better because there busy working on a legacy approach.

We need more functionality in the Modern UI and less dependencies on the desktop. We need a SkyDrive/OneDrive app that truly succeeds Windows Explorer functionality. Not basic management. We need real integration between devices like SMS from your tablet or Xbox sorta like ActiveSync could do with Windows Mobile. Or Office and IE on the Xbox as Modern UI apps with the tablet as the controller for scrolling and typing not from a smart glass app but from IE to IE on Xbox and Office to Office on Xbox. To be able to pull up IE from the bottom of your tablet and push it up and see it slide in on the TV. This innovation will keep getting pushed back because we aren't expecting this from Microsoft but resistance to change and expecting the old to come back...

#65 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 30 January 2014 - 14:43

I guess if your power button on the tablet is broken, yeah.

#66 OP +FaiKee

FaiKee

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2014 - 00:30

...seems a leak will not happen, at least in the near future:  :(

screen_198_zps25309c7a.jpg

Google translate

at this stage of works on Windows 8.1 2014 Update leaks still not scheduled.
all assemblies are digitally personalized signature, it will show immediately on the source of the leak .. and yet so much ahead of other interesting :)
as soon as possible to provide safe assembly so it will be done immediately!

#67 OP +FaiKee

FaiKee

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:08

Neowin News has just posted a screenshot of "taskbar on modern app screen", but I guess is not what it described, the shot came from @Painter in PCPortal: http://pcportal.org....0-16-1391158651

Bing translate

In the General box: 

-When you start the application "Modern UI" leaves the task bar, but it quite a bit has changed now (hehe, and then crawls down):
258541163.jpg
Click to enlarge (1024x768px-656.2 Kb)

The pictures below inside sgtools Wzor'a shows that the SkyDrive now on tiles labeled as OneDrive, this action is, in the whole system of all titles SkyDrive replaced OneDrive, even here:
918057835.jpg
Click to enlarge (468x560px-69.1 Kb)

Ps for those who were scared by the ModernApp'ov header-it appears when you hover, so it is not (so f

#68 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:13

Very upsetting Microsoft is being controlled by consumers to reverse progress. I hope the end result isn't hindered by all of this. We're supposed to have one OS for all devices. With the desktop being made a bigger part in the next release of Windows, its like its not going away and the Modern UI will be held behind from being made better because there busy working on a legacy approach.

We need more functionality in the Modern UI and less dependencies on the desktop. We need a SkyDrive/OneDrive app that truly succeeds Windows Explorer functionality. Not basic management. We need real integration between devices like SMS from your tablet or Xbox sorta like ActiveSync could do with Windows Mobile. Or Office and IE on the Xbox as Modern UI apps with the tablet as the controller for scrolling and typing not from a smart glass app but from IE to IE on Xbox and Office to Office on Xbox. To be able to pull up IE from the bottom of your tablet and push it up and see it slide in on the TV. This innovation will keep getting pushed back because we aren't expecting this from Microsoft but resistance to change and expecting the old to come back...

Not just any consumers, I feel like they're paying more attention to the trolls on Reddit, than to any consumer with a legitimate concern.

Windows 8.1 Update 1 is looking more and more like trash each day, and that MSFT developers and managers have lost their ingenuity. I guess this blog (http://www.microsoft...stories/design/) went right out the window.

#69 Pulagatha

Pulagatha

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:57

P.S. for those who were scared by the ModernApp'ov header-it appears when you hover

Ugh. Yuck. More Hidden UI. This is like a bad habit for an operating system.

#70 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 31 January 2014 - 19:46

That's how it should be until they're in actual floating windows the top menu UI should get out of the way in full screen and only show up when there's a mouse in use, it's smart design. When you're using a mouse and moving it around the screen then it'll show, it's not like the charms bar that needs a specific action to be shown, they'll show with any little movement of the pointer.

#71 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 January 2014 - 19:48

Would you rather a cluttered screen full of controls you don't need every given second?

#72 Pulagatha

Pulagatha

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2014 - 19:57

That's how it should be until they're in actual floating windows the top menu UI should get out of the way in full screen and only show up when there's a mouse in use, it's smart design. When you're using a mouse and moving it around the screen then it'll show, it's not like the charms bar that needs a specific action to be shown, they'll show with any little movement of the pointer.

Would you rather a cluttered screen full of controls you don't need every given second?

Captions Buttons. And cheating at designing a good interface. In case anyone has been paying attention, this is why people hate metro. It's not a painting. It's a program. No one likes hidden controls except for anyone calling it "Stylish." Which it's Not. It's a cheap trick for the designer to think they've out smarted actually having to take some time and come up with a decent interface.

And cluttered? Maybe you'd like to tell me how awesome it is to click twice for everything to bring up that icon bar? Why is it better for clicking twice? It's supposed to be a program, not a painting. And the cut off pages, and the poor color scheming. It's a formatting nightmare.

#73 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 January 2014 - 20:06

Captions Buttons. And cheating at designing a good interface. In case anyone has been paying attention, this is why people hate metro. It's not a painting. It's a program. No one likes hidden controls except for anyone calling it "Stylish." Which it's Not. It's a cheap trick for the designer to think they've out smarted actually having to take some time and come up with a decent interface.

"Stylish", maybe. But tucked away controls are quite functional. I don't leave everything out all over the work on my (physical) desk, so why would I (or anyone else) want everything out over the work on my screen?

#74 Pulagatha

Pulagatha

Neowinian

Posted 31 January 2014 - 20:33

"Stylish", maybe. But tucked away controls are quite functional. I don't leave everything out all over the work on my (physical) desk, so why would I (or anyone else) want everything out over the work on my screen?

What's the quote from Albert Einstein about an empty desk?

#75 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 31 January 2014 - 20:34

And cluttered? Maybe you'd like to tell me how awesome it is to click twice for everything to bring up that icon bar? Why is it better for clicking twice? It's supposed to be a program, not a painting. And the cut off pages, and the poor color scheming. It's a formatting nightmare.

Hidden controls are in lots of UIs used in lots of OS', and besides what are the classic right click context menus that have been in use for years other than "hidden UI controls"? You need to move on, not everything needs to be visible for a UI to work, if people can figure it out on their smartphones they can figure it out on other devices.