Interesting...

I wonder how Game Fly feels about this... Of course PS Now is in its infancy right now, but a year or 2 from now, this can cause some headache for the game rental giant...

As a member of GameFly myself I can say they do not have much to worry about imho.

PS Now is not for all games. It is definitely not for PS4 games, so unless you are a current GameFly subscriber who only cares about playing older PS3 games and have no interest at all in renting new games, GameFly is still very much for you.

If PS Now eventually includes new releases then they might have something to worry about. For now I think they are probably okay.

Ah hah, the plot thickens.

After we saw that leak of possible pricing ($4-$6) without any other context as to time frame, this is helpful.

So its possible we could see games in the $4-$6 range that you can rent for one day, and then a higher price for a week.

I'm really interested to see if they start out with older ps3 games. Offering this for brand new games seems very risky for them.

I'm eager waiting to see this all roll out. I have to admit though, I'm still not happy about the prospect of having to pay for games I already own just in order to play them on my ps4. I may not even end up using this service for a long time due to that, at least until more games are that I don't own.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my beta invite. :punk:

Now just waiting for the official email with directions how to access. The email said it might be a few days before it comes.

Got my beta invite. :punk:

Now just waiting for the official email with directions how to access. The email said it might be a few days before it comes.

I got mine yesterday also. Will you be using a PS3 or PS4?

I got mine yesterday also. Will you be using a PS3 or PS4?

Larry's got both, I'm sure he'll try it out on each but favour PS4. Until now I didn't even know you could use the beta on a PS3?

• 2 weeks later...
playstation_now_beta_leak.jpg

According to an anonymous source cited by DualShockers, which has purported off-screen images of the service, PlayStation Now was recently updated to version 2.0 with a 42MB patch.

The service launched with just nine titles, but now supports the 19 listed below:

Shadow of the Colossus
WipEout HD
Dead Nation
PixelJunk Monsters
Shatter
Guacamelee!
Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten
Dead or Alive 5
Critter Crunch
Matt Hazard: Blood Bath and Beyond
Zeno Clash 2
Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon
Puzzle Quest: Galactrix
Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game
Dead Island
PAYDAY: The Heist
Order Up!!
Alien Rage
Real Steel
Some games, such as Killzone 3, Puppeteer, MX vs ATV: Alive, Ninja Gaiden 3 and Papo & Yo, appear to have been removed from the service.

PlayStation Now is Sony?s answer to backwards compatibility, allowing you to stream PS3 games to your PS4 from the cloud, but to date it has only been announced for North America, and details such as pricing and launch date have not been confirmed.

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/11/playstation-now-updated-now-offers-19-games-rumour/

Oh i'd just love to see someone play and be any good at doa5 with the high latency game streaming services have.

Probably why they chucked it up, see what kind of feedback they get.

I wonder why Killzone 3, Puppeteer, MX vs ATV: Alive, Ninja Gaiden 3 and Papo & Yo were all removed?

All the testing they needed was complete or pushing people to the new titles?

• 2 weeks later...
Sony releasing new line of PlayStation Now-enabled Bravia 4K TVs this summer

Wednesday, 16th April 2014 20:17 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony has announced its new line of Bravia 4K Ultra HD televisions will allow PlayStation 3 games to be playable through PlayStation Now. According to IGN, three series of the set along with nine models will be released in June, and will run $2,100 to $25,000. To stream games through PlayStation Now to the TV, users will need to connect their DualShock 3 into the 4K TV, obviously. More through the link.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/16/sony-releasing-new-line-of-playstation-now-enabled-bravia-4k-tvs-this-summer/

Well the lines are starting to blur.

If a TV can play the games, who needs a console?

Of course the reality is that there will be issues and it wont be quite as nice as playing directly from a console, but its a look at what the future might be. Imagine a future where consoles do not exists and instead games are just a service that you join and then access from devices you already have.

I finally got my code to check this out this past Tuesday night.

Apparently cannot say anything about it though as I guess there was an NDA in all of the stuff I just clicked Accept on.

I can say this. The choice of games I was able to choose from was definitely not that list above. In fact only 1 or 2 games was in the list I was able to check out.

• Like 2

I finally got my code to check this out this past Tuesday night.

Apparently cannot say anything about it though as I guess there was an NDA in all of the stuff I just clicked Accept on.

I can say this. The choice of games I was able to choose from was definitely not that list above. In fact only 1 or 2 games was in the list I was able to check out.

Without going into Detail can you answer this.

is it playable?

Without going into Detail can you answer this.

is it playable?

That's a tough one without going into detail, so that should give you some idea of the answer.

It is though. Yes.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Great to see more beta footage.

I was hoping to see more FPS games to help gauge the latency for those with a good connection. The guy there had mentioned he was going to try the sniper game, which would have been more useful to see.

The issue with video quality is certainly there. I wonder if its simply Sony prioritizing a smooth stream with minimal latency over picture quality. Hopefully they can find a better balance, but we may be seeing the current limitations of such a service. Pricing will be very important if there is still an issue with video quality at launch.

Yeah if I somehow had the ability to invite people I no doubt would. I just lucked out and got chosen. I believe I fit the criteria since I had a fast connection and from what I could gather on Neogaf a lot of the people who were chosen also live on the East Coast.

Wish I could say more. I did just check out Ghost Warrior Sniper 2 on my PS4. Without going into too much detail all I will say is if the price is reasonable, I think the service would be beyond worth it. I truly do. Wish I could say more, as I feel like I probably maybe even said to much already. Anyone interested in further details can always contact me.

EDIT - Thought this was very cool, any game you check out in Now, shows up on the PS4 XMB just like a game you own...

post-34384-0-28888000-1401760698.jpg

Yeah if I somehow had the ability to invite people I no doubt would. I just lucked out and got chosen. I believe I fit the criteria since I had a fast connection and from what I could gather on Neogaf a lot of the people who were chosen also live on the East Coast.

Wish I could say more. I did just check out Ghost Warrior Sniper 2 on my PS4. Without going into too much detail all I will say is if the price is reasonable, I think the service would be beyond worth it. I truly do. Wish I could say more, as I feel like I probably maybe even said to much already. Anyone interested in further details can always contact me.

EDIT - Thought this was very cool, any game you check out in Now, shows up on the PS4 XMB just like a game you own...

attachicon.gifxmbPS4.jpg

I know you might not be able to answer this Larry, but are the loading times 1:1 with what the PS3 loading times would be, or longer/shorter?

Part of me wants to think loading times could be a lot shorter as it's not running on your native hardware, but I guess whatever servers it's running from are technically "native hardware", and then streaming itself could add time to loading screens.

I know you might not be able to answer this Larry, but are the loading times 1:1 with what the PS3 loading times would be, or longer/shorter?

Part of me wants to think loading times could be a lot shorter as it's not running on your native hardware, but I guess whatever servers it's running from are technically "native hardware", and then streaming itself could add time to loading screens.

Seem much shorter to me actually. Then again I never played most of the games I played last night, but I was very surprised by how fast both of them loaded. In fact one of them seemed to be going through a intro movie and just kind of ended as it was ready for me to press start to begin. So yeah I do think they are loading faster actually. Definitely not slower, I can confirm that.

• 2 weeks later...