official playstation now ps now emulation streaming ps1 ps2 ps3 ps4 ps vita

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#16 OP Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:32

People doubted Microsoft's claim to use cloud for supporting XBO games. Let's see how they react to Sony rendering the entire thing in the cloud and stream it to them.

But there's a big difference. X1 cloud service as you say is to support a retail game. That means it requires both to get the most out of it, both the disc you pay for and a connection to calculate whatever features, be it AI in Forza 5 or whatever.

Sony are making an optional service to provide access to their back catalogue. Without a doubt it requires a lot more data to be streamed, but very different services we're talking about.

#17 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:34

But there's a big difference. X1 cloud service as you say is to support a retail game. That means it requires both to get the most out of it, botht the disc you pay for and a connection to calculate whatever features, be it AI in Forza 5 or whatever.

Sony are making an optional service to provide access to their back catalogue. Without a doubt it requires a lot more data to be streamed, but very different services we're talking about.

There is no difference in how games will work in both cases, you are just splitting hairs. I am referring purely to technological challenges and not referring to mandatory/option features/services.

Going by my memory, this service is DOA in Europe and for people with bandwidth caps in other places (based on how many people said "why digital downloads don't work" in various threads).

#18 OP Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:37

There is no difference in how games will work in both cases, you are just splitting hairs. I am referring purely to technological challenges and not referring to mandatory/option features/services.

I disagree. Playstation Now will obviously be 2 way communication so as I say, undoubtedly more involved and requiring more data / time sensitivity.

Whereas X1 cloud is almost always going to be 1 way to add features to a game. I'm sure it can evolve into more than that once developers get to grips with it though. That is a very big difference of adding additional data to boost a feature rather than "remote play" on a very large scale.

#19 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:38

But there's a big difference. X1 cloud service as you say is to support a retail game. That means it requires both to get the most out of it, both the disc you pay for and a connection to calculate whatever features, be it AI in Forza 5 or whatever.

The internet back end services that MS are offering apply to all games, digital or retail. So it doesn't require a disc.

#20 OP Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:38

The internet back end services that MS are offering apply to all games, digital or retail. So it doesn't require a disc.

Yeah I was just simplifying it :p

#21 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:39

People doubted Microsoft's claim to use cloud for supporting XBO games. Let's see how they react to Sony rendering the entire thing in the cloud and stream it to them.

Apple versus Orange.

PS Now is an online service to play old games. Like with all online service there will be lag. People realise and accept that. Also nobody claims it will improve the games.

The Cloud is supposed to substantially improve offline gaming without any lag. Call me skeptical about this claim.

#22 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:39

Yeah I was just simplifying it :p

I appreciate a good simplification, but sometimes it can be taken too far :laugh:

#23 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:41

I'm a Playstation fan, and I doubt this will be very popular.  Lag, picture quality, etc. will be huge problems unless you live in a huge city like Seattle or NYC where 15+ Mbps download speed is not uncommon.

#24 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:42

So sticking my PS2 discs into a PS3 or PS4 is still too much to ask for, 7 years after the release of the PS3 which should be able to absolutely eat PS2 games for breakfast, even while emulating a different architecture.

I wonder if they'll ever open a program where you can mail in a hard copy of an old game and have the digital copy credited to your PSN account.  I'd rather be able to download a copy to my hard drive and have the graphics actually rendered locally to avoid issues with lag and picture quality that come from having a limited amount of bandwidth.  Around here the standard internet connection only delivers 3 Mbps down and 512 kbps up, so if I wanted to play a game, IF the picture quality didn't get down-graded to accomodate the speed, nobody would be able to do anything else while I played.

you dont realize how much power you need to emulate  another platform do you.   the dolphin emulator to run Wii  games  in HD on your PC  you need a  core i5 to i7 recommended  just  so it runs good   so being able to insert a PS2  game in a Ps3  is asking allot   being able to  put  a PS3 game disk in a PS4 and have it run is  really asking allot  and could not be done  not without considerable performance loss . Yes the orginal PS3 played PS2s  but that is only cause  it also had PS2 hardware inside  

If you want to play games at full speed make sure you have a good CPU. It's the most important component! For good results it's recommended to use Intel i5 Sandy or Ivy Bridge CPUs or higher (i7).    

#25 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:46

Apple versus Orange.

PS Now is an online service to play old games. Like with all online service there will be lag. People realise and accept that. Also nobody claims it will improve the games.

The Cloud is supposed to substantially improve offline gaming without any lag. Call me skeptical about this claim.

People do not accept the lag in a service like PS Now. If they did, services like OnLive would be much more popular. Its the fact that many people do not accept the lag that keeps such services from being big hits.

Still, this case is a little different because its offering a back catalog of games that may not be available to most people. It could be the content that wins people over more than excellent performance.

As far as 'The Cloud' improving offline gaming...where did you hear that. And please don't say forum posters. :laugh:

Let's remember please that 'the cloud' is simply a series of back end services for game developers to leverage as they see fit. For MS and Sony, these services amount to server hardware and an in depth software layer to interact with it.

#26 D!ABOL!C

D!ABOL!C

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC One (M8) Android 4.4.3

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:49

Any chance this will be a part of Playstation Plus or will this be a completely separate tier?

#27 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:51

People do not accept the lag in a service like PS Now.

I mean people who pay for them. Of course i would not.

What i mean is we all know it's gonna lag and if some people are willing to accept that to play old games then fine. If the cloud makes retail offline games lag here and there i highly doubt people will find this okay as it looks like you wont have any choice but to use it for some games like Watchdog (could be wrong). Right now the only game i know making use of the cloud is Forza 5 and i've not read any review proclaming it made the gameplay or the ai any better than Forza 4 or the gfx any better than Ryse or Killzone.

But anyway that's not the point i'm not willing to start any PS4 versus Xbox One fight was just replying to a comment. I don't even own any of the next gen consoles lol

Honestly i don't think services like PS Now are interesting. This could be somewhat cool on TVs though. Let's say Sony TVs support the PS4 controller and PS Now out of the box and you could play PS3 games on the TV using only the controller and a PS Now sub this could be cool. But that's all.

#28 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:52

I disagree. Playstation Now will obviously be 2 way communication so as I say, undoubtedly more involved and requiring more data / time sensitivity.

Whereas X1 cloud is almost always going to be 1 way to add features to a game. I'm sure it can evolve into more than that once developers get to grips with it though. That is a very big difference of adding additional data to boost a feature rather than "remote play" on a very large scale.

I agree, the ps now service will be more demanding on the server backend then the current features developers are using in X1 games.

I'm not sure we can make a generalization about what the 'X1 cloud' can do since that just a simple way of saying server hardware/software backend. It can do lots of things, as Sony and MS are revealing.

#29 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:58

I mean people who pay for them. Of course i would not.

What i mean is we all know it's gonna lag and if some people are willing to accept that to play old games then fine. If the cloud makes retail offline games lag here and there i highly doubt people will find this okay as it looks like you wont have any choice but to use it for some games like Watchdog (could be wrong). Right now the only game i know making use of the could is Forza 5 and i've not read any reviews proclaming it made the gameplay or the ai any better than Forza 4 or the gfx any better than Ryse or Killzone.

I'm not sure what your point is.

Forza 5 uses 'the cloud' to offload ai functions and leverage that to try a new method for improving ai overtime by incorporating real gamer driving habits.

I don't know if any reviews have said the ai is better, but I do know reviews have definitely mentioned it being different, some noticing right away that the ai was behaving more like other players and less scripted.

Why would the graphics be any different because of that feature?

Remember, 'the cloud' is not a good option for improving things like graphics thanks to the real time nature of that. Plus, its impossible for 'the cloud' to cause games to lag while they are being played offline. Offline means no internet, which means no connection to the cloud. If someone makes a game that must have an internet connection, it simply wont play at all.

#30 Kriz

Kriz

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 07 January 2014 - 20:37

This is pretty awesome :D Gimme NOW!