Samsung invents Windows 8

I am confused,

- Lack of start menu confuses people in Windows 8. Consumers are dumb and won't be able to figure out Metro UI in Windows 8.

- Consumers are not dumb and will be able to tell Android and Windows apart even if UIs look almost exactly same.

Who is right? :laugh:

I am confused,

- Lack of start menu confuses people in Windows 8. Consumers are dumb and won't be able to figure out Metro UI in Windows 8.

- Consumers are not dumb and will be able to tell Android and Windows apart even if UIs look almost exactly same.

Android has never had a start menu, so it fits.  Windows had one.. for a good portion of it's life.

I am confused,

Well, on one hand you have a change from what users have been used to for a long time.  People to not like change.  And it has more to do with Metro being a PITA for a lot of poeple rather than not being able to figure out.  Win8.1 helped a lot with this and hopefully more improvements coming.

Then you have people, who apparently cannot read, buying things and then getting  confused and not getting what they want.

So it really is a change issue on one side and an illiterate issue on the other.

You're clutching at straws.  Consumers don't care about brand names when you're not a market leader (or thereabouts).  Also, sorry but I'm not entertaining the conversation any further.  You're inventing scenarios that I have found time and time again in a professional and researched manner do not occur.

Lol your posts are cracking me up.  People know how to read.. they know that android != windows just like they know linux != windows (even if they looked simmilar.. which they can).

Metro/Modern is Microsoft's branding, it's their image. It's what they're marketing to consumers. To have someone copy it, isn't going to do anything but cause customer confusion. If you guys can't see that, then I guess the conversation is over.

From that press shot, I fail to see how this looks like Windows 8...

You are right. The mail app is copied from Windows Phone 8/7 and not Windows 8.

...isn't going to do anything but cause customer confusion. If you guys can't see that, then I guess the conversation is over.

Here's the difference:

You are making assumptions.  I have a history in this area, have been part of very thorough market research with companies such as HP and IBM (technically Lenovo now) specifically around the branding and interfaces of bespoke UIs.  So yes, I guess the conversation is over.

To have someone copy it, isn't going to do anything but cause customer confusion. If you guys can't see that, then I guess the conversation is over.

In some cases, it may cause confusion but people get confused when something changes color.  But would you enter the store wanting a Surface Tablet and then walk out without checking that is what you got?  If so, whose fault is that?  Samsungs?  Or yours?

inLGyjdb7Kits.jpg

Ok, so somebody please tell me how this looks anything like this standard Windows 8.1 screenshot?

E5CNFuV.png

People managed to confuse the Galaxy SII and Galaxy Tab with the iPhone and iPad. Customer confusion is very much a real thing, and it's not because they're "stupid"; this is why companies protect their designs. 

That said, I don't see a whole lot of similar elements here, apart from some generic iconography, and some rectangles you would find on a billion web sites.

You're clutching at straws.  Consumers don't care about brand names when you're not a market leader (or thereabouts).  Also, sorry but I'm not entertaining the conversation any further.  You're inventing scenarios that I have found time and time again in a professional and researched manner do not occur.

Clutching at straws?  You should have finished quoting him..

Last weekend I witnessed some idiot claiming His phone carrier slashed his bill in half on his multi-line plan and even gave him and his wife free iPhones.

Perplexed, I stopped to listen to the rest of this loud conversation said man was having in the middle of Target..

I'll presume the conversation shifted to how did you get a iPhone for free?

He then follows up with it's by Samsung i think it's called a Galaxy, it's not really an iPhone but it's the SAME thing... Although I still have no idea how to use it...

So yes, never underestimate man's ability to be ignorant.  If you think that something that's cheaper or appears to have a better value proposition won't be taken when the sales guy says oh it's pretty much the same thing, you still have much to learn about marketing.

Here's the difference:

You are making assumptions.  I have a history in this area, have been part of very thorough market research with companies such as HP and IBM (technically Lenovo now) specifically around the branding and interfaces of bespoke UIs.  So yes, I guess the conversation is over.

You're also making assumptions and spreading mis-information.  IBM (Is not technically Lenovo).. Lenovo bought IBM's personal computer division 9 years ago. (Keyword PC division, not entire company) Lenovo used the IBM brand name on machines it sold for 3 years.  IBM also has a steak in Lenovo and had at one point nearly had a 20% interest in the company...

I mean if you want to be "technical"..

I don't trust retailers to properly inform customers of what they're buying, that's for sure. I've seen so many tech shop assistance spin lines of total ###### to potential buyers of laptops, tablets and phones to know better.

However... This is definitely vindication of Microsoft's Modern UI. For every 10 grumpy old men who hate change spitting bile about it online, there are thousands who quietly like it and use it.

• Like 3

I don't trust retailers to properly inform customers of what they're buying, that's for sure. I've seen so many tech shop assistance spin lines of total bull**** to potential buyers of laptops, tablets and phones to know better.

I dont know how many times I approach people and correct them after a sales person talks to them.  But with info online and magazines and such you can buy, you have the info at your disposal.  At some point, people need to take responsibility as well.  Companies/law cannot protect everyone.

You're also making assumptions and spreading mis-information.  IBM (Is not technically Lenovo).. Lenovo bought IBM's personal computer division 9 years ago. (Keyword PC division, not entire company) Lenovo used the IBM brand name on machines it sold for 3 years.  IBM also has a steak in Lenovo and had at one point nearly had a 20% interest in the company...

I mean if you want to be "technical"..

At the time we were dealing with IBM in relation to their laptops specifically.  I knew that if I left it at IBM then some smartass would try to correct me that I meant Lenovo, hence I made my own clarification.  I am more than aware of the relationship between to two entities seeing as how I was at the first UK product launch after Lenovo made their purchase.

Seems I underestimated the smartass nature on here.

Nice try...

Based on the preview photo and Verge hands on video, it looks much more functional than the Start Screen. The email tile shows you probably can start composing a message by tapping the pen icon or go directly to one of unread messages. Verge also has a short hands on video which shows other home screens including live music tile with playback controls etc. There could be tiles including shortcuts to recently read books or unfinished Netflix episodes just like in the Android homescreen widgets.

IMO the tiles containing functional buttons and shortcuts make much more usable and live compared to tiles in Windows 8 start screen. I am wondering why Microsoft hasn't added functionality to the live tiles but kept them only showrooms for new content even though the Developer Review was released almost 2.5 years ago. For example when I see I have two new emails in Windows 8 tile, I can only see couple lines from them and if I want read the whole message I have to tap the app tile and then tap the email heading, while in Samsung?s homescreen I just need to tap the email heading I want to read. Same goes for the composing an email, Samsung?s email tile needs one tap less than the Windows 8 tile, and the list goes on.  

Man all the people that were saying Windows RT was too confusing are out defending this thing.  The reality distortion field extends beyond apple.

You don't understand. This runs Android and that makes everything better.