Photo

The Elder Scrolls Online

official the elder scrolls online the elder scrolls zenimax online studios mmo pc ps4 xbox one

340 replies to this topic

#331 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,428 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:58

Because they weren't essential to the game and every month the game is being developed without sales and subscriptions costs millions. 6 months later without a release would have meant cancel or studio bankruptcy, just not economically feasable. Not MMO can launch feature complete. Heck with modern graphics no MMO is rivaling the functionality of EQ2, SWG or Vanguard. EQ2 probably the only MMO ever to have interesting and engaging crafting, and Vanguard the only one to have politics, and SWG the only one ever to have classes(though it was technically class less) that was completely combat less, like dancer and musicians.

#332 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,088 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 17:18

The game looks and feels great to play.  The engine runs smoothly and the UI is really nice compared to Skyrim.  I really appreciate being able to turn the UI scaling all the way up to children's story book levels (especially after playing some old skool Morrowind this weekend).

Seems like a great foundation for a good game.  If they can keep paying the developers on it, and keep listening to player feedback (which it seems like they are at least attempting to do), then it has some potential I think.  The fact that they are moving forward on a console release and have a schedule for release on console (although delayed) tells me that they won't be tossing in the towel anytime soon.

#333 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,088 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 16:56

This game is OK.  I'm getting more "hooked" on it, and getting "lost" in the world.  I do like that there are lots of small things to do just off the path that are not obvious.  The crafting system is also very engaging, and I still have not mastered it.

I'm having a lot of difficulty with keeping my Sorcerer alive in some areas.  My buddy who has been playing a Templar has had no issues w/s/e.  I'm fine with the challenge (as WoW has none when it comes to leveling), but I suspect there are some class balance issues.  Then again, it could just be the way I'm spec'd.

What bothers me the most about the game right now is how terrible the vast majority of NPCs look.  Almost all of the female NPCs look like surprised drag queens.  I'm glad that they are addressing this in the next patch.  The "artist" who thought that these NPCs models looked good needs to fired and needs to go into another line of work or something.  The mangers and producers who reviewed that "artist's" work and approved it should probably be fired as well.

There was one quest line early on in the game where you catch-up to an NPC at various parts in the quest progression.  Every time you go to the NPC in a new spot, she is wearing something completely different.  Lol.  Really?  That makes no sense.  Let me see if I can find the quest line.

#334 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,088 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 16:32

I feel like I'm in an empty room talking with myself.

Must say, I'm pretty addicted to this game now.  Once I got past what it was "missing" from Skyrim and WoW, I really started focusing on what this game "has".  One area that is definitely a huge improvement over Skyrim and previous Elder Scrolls games is that there is no more save/load system. I always hated the obsessive quicksave/quickload nature of previous Elder Scroll games.  Another aspect I like much more in ESO than in Skyrim is the combat system is so much better defined. There are actual melee abilities, unlike Skyrim that focused primarily on magic and shouts. I'm a little confused why they decided to go with Magik use for the melee abilities, but at least they have them.  Potions cannot be "chugged" continuously so more strategy goes into using potions.  Food (IMHO) is more-or-less in previous Elder Scrolls games for role playing, but ESO moves the tasks of previous "fortify" potions to food/provisions. Overall, the crafting system is really engaging.

There is also a lot of different activities just off the path in ESO.  So many reviews slam ESO for being linear, and I'm having a hard time agreeing with that assessment. If you just walk in a direction in ESO, you'll find something to do that the game did not directly lead you to in a linear way.

I still have some gripes concerning group play... the game feels like a solo game, and I'm enjoying it as a solo game.  My understanding is that the group play is more significant at higher levels, so I look forward to that.

#335 Dadwen

Dadwen

Neowinian

• 50 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 17:41

Played it for a bit but kept getting a bug that it lost all the quests I was on whenever I went into an instance, If I went and found the quest giver and got the quests back it would have my progress but after about the 5th time of having it happen I got a little sick of trying to track down all the quest givers again and gave up on the game for now.   Was fun but a bit annoying bug wise, may give it a try again in a year and see if they have it running a bit smoother.

#336 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,088 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 17:59

I haven't had issues with a bug like that.  A huge patch just landed today (about 2.6 - 2.7GB worth of stuff). Quite a bit of new stuff coming according to the presentation they gave at Quakecon. I would expect most of this stuff to be implemented prior to the console game launch in about 6 months...

#337 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,428 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 05 August 2014 - 18:10

Played it for a bit but kept getting a bug that it lost all the quests I was on whenever I went into an instance, If I went and found the quest giver and got the quests back it would have my progress but after about the 5th time of having it happen I got a little sick of trying to track down all the quest givers again and gave up on the game for now.   Was fun but a bit annoying bug wise, may give it a try again in a year and see if they have it running a bit smoother.

I suspect you didn't lose or drop the quests, but rather it stopped tracking them.

#338 Dadwen

Dadwen

Neowinian

• 50 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:22

I suspect you didn't lose or drop the quests, but rather it stopped tracking them.

on one of the quests as you finish more of it it unlocks buildings in the town, I came back to the town after one instance and every building was locked again and the place looked like when I first got there, once I went to the quest giver and got the quest back all the buildings and vendors were "phased" in again.

#339 Emn1ty

Emn1ty

Web Programmer

• 2,745 posts
  • Phone: Driod Razr

Posted 08 August 2014 - 17:49

There are actual melee abilities, unlike Skyrim that focused primarily on magic and shouts.

One of my primary issues with ESO was that melee combat felt like it took a back-seat to powers. Just hitting things with your sword and moving around... being an effective melee combatant didn't seem to matter and did very trivial damage. I played Skyrim for the melee combat which still seems to be the best first person melee simulation outside of Chivalry. And yet, ESO transferred all the power out of your hits into standard MMO pattern powers.

#340 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,088 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 15:27

One of my primary issues with ESO was that melee combat felt like it took a back-seat to powers. Just hitting things with your sword and moving around... being an effective melee combatant didn't seem to matter and did very trivial damage. I played Skyrim for the melee combat which still seems to be the best first person melee simulation outside of Chivalry. And yet, ESO transferred all the power out of your hits into standard MMO pattern powers.

I'll have to make it a bit further before I can form more of an opinion about it, but it has my attention for now. Overall I still think Skyrim is a better game, and I've logged a ridiculous amount of hours playing it (over 300 in Steam, and I had it on XBox 360 before that).  One thing I miss is the gore. Skyrim had decent gore and that has been stripped out of ESO.

I hope that ESO never becomes that popular though, to be honest. If it did Bethesda may decide to stick with online only going forward.

#341 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,709 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:27

ESO is made by Zenimax, not Bethesda. How will it does will likely have little effect on future Elder Scrolls games.