Jumping into Bitcoin

Well, today I have decided to have a little bit of fun by throwing $10 dollars into Coinbase since bitcoin is only $821. Lets hope it jumps back up to a grand (or higher...). :D  I'm not really expecting to make any large amounts of money by investing (for now at least) and mining is out of the question for now. 

So what about you guys? Do you have bitcoins? Any tips for n00bs?

Thanks! 

...have a little bit of fun..  I'm not really expecting to make any large amounts of money ...

Don't.

I don't see the issue with this, as long as you're not expecting anything. It's kind of cool to understand how it works.

If you're looking for a proper investment, I'd recommend the stock market.  Bitcoin is way too unstable right now, and it's not exactly an established form of "currency" yet.  It crashed in value when China turned its back on it, so it probably wouldn't take much to completely devalue it.  A hack or security breach would probably bring it to its knees.

One suggestion I could give you it look for stocks with high dividend yields.  I have investments in a few that give 15%-25% dividends per year, so that's a lot of free money (given that the stock value stays steady).

Though I guess if you aren't looking to invest much, then it might not be worth your time.  I trade through Scottrade, and they charge $7 per trade.

Don't.

That is all.

I appreciate your opinion. :) I will try not to get too far into it. :D

I don't see the issue with this, as long as you're not expecting anything. It's kind of cool to understand how it works.

Yup. This is basically for educational purposes. If I made .10 cents I would be happy. LOL! 

If you're looking for a proper investment, I'd recommend the stock market.  Bitcoin is way too unstable right now, and it's not exactly an established form of currency yet.  It crashed in value when China turned its back on it, so it probably wouldn't take much to completely devalue it.  A hack or security breach would probably bring it to its knees.

One suggestion I could give you it look for stocks with high dividend yields.  I have investments in a few that give 15%-25% dividends per year, so that's a lot of free money (given that the stock value stays steady).

Though I guess if you aren't looking to invest much, then it might not be worth your time.  I trade through Scottrade, and they charge $7 per trade.

It's funny you mention that! I was actually looking into investing in Office Depot since they are currently merging with Office Max and things might heat up. In terms of investing with a company, I would probably invest a lot more than what I am with Bitcoins. (Maybe $10-12,000 in various companies) With bitcoins, I'm a bit more skeptical, so I'm testing the water with $10. :D Are there any companies you would personally recommend? 

It's funny you mention that! I was actually looking into investing in Office Depot since they are currently merging with Office Max and things might heat up. In terms of investing with a company, I would probably invest a lot more than what I am with Bitcoins. (Maybe $10-12,000 in various companies) With bitcoins, I'm a bit more skeptical, so I'm testing the water with $10. :D Are there any companies you would personally recommend? 

An interesting area you can look into are REIT (real estate investment trust) stocks.  In simple terms, they are companies that deal with real estate, and they are mandated by law to give back something on the lines of 90% of their income back to the shareholders in the form of dividends.  So some of these stocks give dividends of 15% or more.  This sector was actually hit really hard in the last 6 months or so and lost a lot of value (not exactly sure why), but it is predicted to make a strong comeback.  So if you'd get into these, you might get gains in the stock value itself plus the dividends.  One I'm invested in is American Capital Agency Corp. (ticker: AGNC).  They used to have a dividend of about 20%, but it's been cut to around 13% due to their value dropping.  Regardless of that, I've basically doubled my money just on the dividend payouts.  This has been one of my favorite stocks of the past few years and I'm investing more into them since the price is low (and will hopefully go back up).

Energy stocks are also a hot commodity.  Nuclear would have been a huge one to invest in hadn't Fukushima happened.  Oil and Natural Gas will probably be booming industries in this country moving forward.  Chesapeake Granite (ticket: CHKR) has been one I've been eyeing up.  It has a 25% dividend and it's near year lows.  It's mighty tasty!

Besides that, I've invested in everything from banks to tech stocks such as Intel, AMD, Sony, and Micron.  All of them have done really well except for AMD.

I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff, but I've basically played the "buy low, sell high" strategy.  Find a big company that's stock value is close to year lows, and you'll almost guarantee to make profits fairly quickly.  Yeah there's risk of losing money too, but there's potential for a buyout or an executive change, which will make the stock value explode.  It's a great feeling when the crappy stock you've been "married" to goes up 120% in one day when it gets bought out.

www.marketwatch.com and www.seekingalpha.com are the two websites that I follow religiously.  If anything, you'll learn a bit more about the business and finance world. :)

If you're looking for a proper investment, I'd recommend the stock market.

Proper?

Generally, the priority of claims on the company's assets will be determined in the following order:

1. Liquidators costs
  2. Creditors with fixed charge over assets (bond holders)
  3. Costs incurred by an administrator
  4. Amounts owing to employees for wages/superannuation
  5. Payments owing in respect of workers's injuries
  6. Amounts owing to employees for leave
  7. Retrenchment payments owing to employees
  8. Creditors with floating charge over assets (bond holders)
  9. Creditors without security over assets
  10. Shareholders

Shareholders are on the bottom of the list in the priority of claim and they are the last group to get paid out of what's left when a company goes belly up. It's one of the riskiest instruments. It can be a good way to quickly get rich or lose all your money.

A proper investment is something that gives you a guaranteed, a near risk-free return such as bonds (federal, state, municipal and corporate debt obligations). 

Hello,

Are there any companies you would personally recommend?

Noone is going to recommend you a company to invest in. The more people invest, the less they get back....

Proper?

Shareholders are on the bottom of the list in the priority of claim and they are the last group to get paid out of what's left when a company goes belly up. It's one of the riskiest instruments. It can be a good way to quickly get rich or lose all your money.

A proper investment is something that gives you a guaranteed, a near risk-free return such as bonds (federal, state, municipal and corporate debt obligations). 

Err, I'm not really seeing what your point is.  Perhaps you misunderstood what I said.

Stocks are an actual form of investment, whereas Bitcoin isn't meant to be.  All I said was that since he's looking to invest money somewhere, he should do it in an established market.  Regardless, the word "proper" is an subjective term.

i have never spent any money on bit coin just using bitcoinget and a few others as well as having a very small bit coin mining operation going on (3 computers) and i have 1.0234 Bitcoins at the moment.

I've used a couple of websites where you get free bitcoins for doing things like watching commercials.  I've racked up a whopping $0.75, although when I first started it was like $0.16, it has jumped up with the value of bitcoin.

Bitcoin is a very erratic market even over the same day it can have huge dips and peaks

It kinda seems like day trading penny stocks.

• 1 month later...

So Bing says Bitcoins are only worth $545 now. Earlier this week they were $650 and last week they were around $700. Is this the end of Bitcoins?

It's hurting my doge.

bitcoin took a hit from that one exploit they found that allowed bitcoin to be spent twice.. they fixed it but bitcoin is still hurting.

I would say .. try the bitcoin Ponzi scheme out. invest $1, get $1.20 back. it's amazing. and is totally legit if you  want to participate ...