microsoft mindshare

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• 5,351 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 00:19

In August 2013, Forrester conducted consumer Technographics® research with 4,551 US online adults to uncover the drivers of a successful 21st century consumer technology brand. This research is part of Forrester’s TRUE Brand Compass framework designed to identify which brands are winning the battle for consumer mindshare and to help marketers build a brand that is trusted, remarkable, unmistakable and essential (TRUE).

In a surprise upset, Microsoft trumped Apple and Samsung in the TRUE brand rankings. In fact, Microsoft was the only brand in the survey to achieve the coveted trailblazer status – indicating that the Microsoft brand is “at the forefront of brand building with a unique and distinct brand identity that sets it apart from other brands”.

All three brands were seen as innovative by consumers, so what sets Microsoft apart? While Apple and Samsung battle it out to reign supreme with the coveted Millennial generation, Microsoft has quietly stolen the consumer technology crown by becoming more trusted and essential across multiple generations. The very ubiquity that perhaps renders it uncool turns out to also be its strength.

http://blogs.forrest...sumer_mindshare

so much for the made up B.S tech media likes to spew. this one might hurt, and I doubt you'll see this reported elsewhere.

#2 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,382 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 00:23

Who funded and commissioned this research?

#3 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 5,011 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 00:27

Microsoft has quietly stolen the consumer technology crown

So who was on top of that ranking before, then?

PS: wow, you have to fork $499 just to read the report?  :o

#4 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,227 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 00:32

So who was on top of that ranking before, then?

PS: wow, you have to fork $499 just to read the report?  :o

you get a free xbox one with it..... </s>

#5 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,644 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 00:37

Not saying the article is wrong...but kind of...odd...that a site says something about a company, then you have to pay 500 bucks to actually read the report.

#6 wakjak

wakjak

Neowinian

• 265 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 00:43

my BS-o-meter is going off the rails right now.

#7 WhatTheSchmidt

WhatTheSchmidt

Neowinian

• 450 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 00:44

what is this some kind of a joke?? did they ask 4,551 microsoft employees to vote??

No, they asked 4551 Apple employees. And oddly, every one of them said that Microsoft is better.

Probably not true, but if you are going to throw out crap accusations like that, then I get to do it to.

#8 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 11,123 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:06

Not saying the article is wrong...but kind of...odd...that a site says something about a company, then you have to pay 500 bucks to actually read the report.

Forrester is a market research company. Their reports aren't meant for consumers, they're meant for businesses and $500 is on the low end among market research companies.

#9 SyntheticVirusZ

SyntheticVirusZ

The one The only

• 1,438 posts
  • Phone: Samsung ATIV S Neo

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:16

Forrester is a market research company. Their reports aren't meant for consumers, they're meant for businesses and $500 is on the low end among market research companies.

This...

Also I love Madison spenser.d, one of my favorite places to hit up for concerts and stuff

Now I'm getting out of this thread before it gets ugly...

#10 WhatTheSchmidt

WhatTheSchmidt

Neowinian

• 450 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:17

A respected research company at that. But since a study does not find Apple and Google as the winner, then it was paid for by Microsoft, the methodology must be wrong, they are lying, the interview was done on the day the iPad Air was released and so everyone was standing in line rather than waiting at home to answer a cold call from a pollster and so the 8 Microsoft fanboys were the only ones who could be reached, or 100s of other possible excuses why Apple or Google did not win.

#11 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,160 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:19

mindshare are pointless IF microsoft failed to convert it into a real marketshare.

#12 +techbeck

techbeck

• 19,644 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:30

Would just be nice to read the report.  Not much is stated so really not much to go/comment on.  It makes sense considering you cannot look at anything without seeing something from MS.  Apple doesnt appear to be doing as much marketing as they used to and Google really has not done to much either.  I just would like to see more info without having to pay $500.

#13 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 11,123 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:33

Would just be nice to read the report.  Not much is stated so really not much to go/comment on.  It makes sense considering you cannot look at anything without seeing something from MS.  Apple doesnt appear to be doing as much marketing as they used to and Google really has not done to much either.  I just would like to see more info without having to pay $500.

Oh I agree it would be nice to see more, but we're just not the market for this product (the report). The blog just happens to be public for anyone to stumble across.

#14 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:34

Love the denial in these replies. Writing down some of the excuses to work into my comedy routine.

#15 +techbeck

techbeck

• 19,644 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:34

A respected research company at that. But since a study does not find Apple and Google as the winner, then it was paid for by Microsoft, the methodology must be wrong, they are lying, the interview was done on the day the iPad Air was released and so everyone was standing in line rather than waiting at home to answer a cold call from a pollster and so the 8 Microsoft fanboys were the only ones who could be reached, or 100s of other possible excuses why Apple or Google did not win.

Same comments are made against Google, Apple, Samsung, and many others.  MS is not special here.  Just depends on which product/company a person likes and how much they dislike them.  For example, every time Google releases how many phones it has activated, there are always people who question it and call BS.  Whenever an app store produces the mount of apps available, everyone calls most of them crap and say quality over quantity.   Chromebook sales get released/estimated and people comment on how many of them were returned.  Nothing new/unique to any company here.