• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#1 shall_i_cut

shall_i_cut

Touch me if you dare

• 460 posts
  • Phone: O+ 8.91

Posted 08 January 2014 - 14:12

A New York-based group calling itself the Satanic Temple has raised over $9,000 from online crowdfunding donors to erect a statue of their deity outside the Oklahoma State Capitol building, right beside an existing monument to the Christian Ten Commandments. The crowdfunding campaign launched on Indiegogo last month, but the proposed statue design was just submitted to an Oklahoma state panel this week. It would feature a 7-foot-tall horned figure (Baphomet, a deity long associated with the Satanic movement) sitting on a throne and preaching to two children. And more importantly, it's an interactive statue. As Satanic Temple spokesperson Lucian Greaves explained to The Raw Story: "The statue will also have a functional purpose as a chair where people of all ages may sit on the lap of Satan for inspiration and contemplation."
Despite these devilish details, the organization claims the project is not just an elaborate prank, and points out they don't actually worship Satan, just the idea of free expression. In that vein, the statue is meant to counterbalance the Ten Commandments statue that was constructed outside the Oklahoma Capitol building in 2012, following years of controversy and debate. Critics of that older monument say it marks a de facto endorsement of Christianity by the state government and therefore violates the US Constitution's "establishment clause" against a national religion.  "By accepting our offer, the good people of Oklahoma City will have the opportunity to show that they espouse the basic freedoms spelled out in the Constitution," the group's Indiegogo project site clarifies. For reference, the Satanic Temple also has a long history of these types of public demonstrations.
Of course, even if the group raises its target amount of $20,000 by December 17th, it's not clear that the Satanic Temple will ever be able to get the chance to build the statue. Oklahoma lawmakers are not exactly warm to the idea, rushing to enact a temporary banon new monuments outside the Capitol building late last month. "I think it is very offensive they would contemplate or even have this kind of conversation," one Oklahoma lawmaker told The Raw StoryThe Satanic Temple, though, is unswayed: "The decision by Oklahoma to impose a moratorium on new requests for monuments at the state Capitol means little to us, and our course of action remains the same," Greaves wrote on the group's Indiegogo page, arguing that his group's submission still counts because it was filed before the ban.

•  

http://www.theverge....in-front-of-the

woah dude

#2 Shaun N.

Shaun N.

Perfidious

• 5,359 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 14:14

Planning permission will be denied.

#3 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 8,039 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 08 January 2014 - 14:15

I think instead of building the statue.. they should be raising the funds to destroy/demolish the 10 commandments one.

#4 Co-ords

Co-ords

Neowinian faithful one

• 739 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 14:16

I think instead of building the statue.. they should be raising the funds to destroy/demolish the 10 commandments one.

NOT funny...

#5 firey

firey

• 8,039 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 14:17

NOT funny...

Was not meant to be.  So glad I achieved that?

#6 Virtual Techie

Virtual Techie

Neowinian Senior

• 2,262 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 14:17

Sad world we live in.

#7 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,057 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 14:18

what about a statue of Invisible Pink Unicorn?

#8 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,680 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 14:19

They tried something similar in Florida (source) and it got shot down due to it being "grossly offensive." Something makes me think that this one will head in a similar direction, although I disagree with the reasoning.

EDIT: Link fixed. :pinch:

#9 firey

firey

• 8,039 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 14:20

They tried something similar in Florida (source) and it got shot down due to it being "grossly offensive." Something makes me think that this one will head in a similar direction, although I disagree with the reasoning.

I don't get it, I mean.. to some the 10 Commandments might be grossly offensive.  Why should one set of people be denied, but others allowed? I don't even let my kids do that.. they are all treated as fairly as possible. 

#10 Slugsie

Slugsie

NeoSlug

• 892 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 14:27

Basic principle of the Establishment Clause. You either allow all religious symbols, or you allow none. If you pick and choose then you are showing preference which is against the 1st Ammendment.

#11 Rigby

Rigby

Neowinian Senior

• 7,049 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 14:27

I think religious displays belong in front of churches, not government buildings.

#12 vetSkyyPunk

SkyyPunk

-- Violated on 1st Post --

• 4,013 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 14:55

I think religious displays belong in front of churches, not government buildings.

That sums it up nicely!

#13 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,248 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 15:06

Not actual satanists then!

#14 Richteralan

Richteralan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,360 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4 E960

Posted 08 January 2014 - 15:52

Well, I hope Lucifer will have a kewl cape and 6 packs. O and don't forget the shades. I don't care about horns or tails.

#15 uMadRabbit

uMadRabbit

Neowinian Senior

• 2,789 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 16:01

Sad world we live in.

So now it's sad but when billions of people believe in something as fictional it's okay right?

Oh and the best part is, those groups can put their statues almost where ever they feel like, cause it's their "right" to do so.