video games china

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• 4,501 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 20:34

AFAIK, in the West (or maybe it's US in particular), the ratings boards like ESRB and MPAA are very secretive about their systems and how they decide on what ratings are awarded. Unless you are lining their pockets, of course :p

I don't know about other ratings boards, but the ESRB site and info on the web seem to be more open about it including how publishers can appeal ratings based on the feedback they get.

#17 OP Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• 24,727 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 20:35

I don't know about other ratings boards, but the ESRB site and info on the web seem to be more open about it including how publishers can appeal ratings based on the feedback they get.

It might have changed in recent years then. Last time I looked into it they were useless about helping devs to get the ratings they wanted.

I know for 100% that the MPAA won't (or didn't in the past) tell you a thing about why you were rated AO, X or NC-17 etc. You just had to make changes/cuts until it passed :no:

#18 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• 3,240 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 23 April 2014 - 22:09

Sounds like the only thing you might be able to release in china is tetris.

#19 Decebalvs Rex

Decebalvs Rex

Transylvanian

• 438 posts
  • Phone: HTC HD2 WP 7.8

Posted 23 April 2014 - 22:19

"Anything that promotes or incites obscenity, drug use, violence, or gambling."

Mario Kart and soon to be released Prince of Persia 2D where you pick mushrooms won't step over these rules, can't say the same about the rest of the games including most of the AAA titles.

#20 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:49

As someone who lived in mainland China for over four years i can tell you this is a load of BS. Unless things have really changed (and i know they haven't from being in contact with people), it's just as easy to get games and hardware as it is anywhere else. There are streets in Beijing lined with so many gaming stores, it looks like a non-stop E3. Of course it's all semi-official, they pay taxes and have licenses, just the licenses say "toys and electronics" with no mention of gaming. Authorities look the other way as they know trying to enforce this so-called ban would lead to riots on the streets, just like trying to force the VPN ban will lead to the 50 cent army turning on them. Mainland China has a weird and hypocritical political system that i personally can't stand anymore, but when i lived there i didn't mind it too much, maybe because i was younger. For example, you could import anything from Lik San or Play Asia and have it delivered to your door even though supposedly it was not allowed into the country.

When reading these things you need to keep reality filters on, and remember there are parts of the world where many people think everyone in the US carries an AR15, everyone in Scotland wears a kilt, and everyone in Ohio works for P&G. Well the latter might actually be true :p

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!