Photo

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you tell people to stop using XP even if it's off the net?

Would you tell someone to stop using XP even if it was disconnected from the internet?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If an XP machine came into your office after support ended would you repair it.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 08 January 2014 - 20:20

Would you tell someone to stop using windows XP even if it was disconnected from the internet and they used it for other things such as word processing and / or book work?

#2 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 08 January 2014 - 20:25

No I wouldn't tell them to get new one... you never know that they are poor or rich..  it is up to them to get a new PC or not.

If PC is running well with XP... that is fine..  they can use it for offline uses such as word, regular movies, etc.  Not blu-ray unless it was upgraded with supported parts for it.

I have several laptops... some of them have XP on them. I can use them for gaming or whatever I like to do without connecting to the internet.

#3 Riva

Riva

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 08 January 2014 - 20:27

Yes cos I cant understand the fixation with that OS. If you don't want Win8.1 go for 7.

#4 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 January 2014 - 20:28

I would tell them about the newer alternatives and let them decide if they want to upgrade.

#5 +Xenosion

Xenosion

Neowinian Senior

I'm not going to tell anyone to do anything. I will suggest for their own financial good that they upgrade, otherwise, I'm just going to be called back out.

#6 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Yes cos I cant understand the fixation with that OS. If you don't want Win8.1 go for 7.

The fixation is that their productivity is perfectly fine with what they have.

#7 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

I'd recommend they upgrade their PC as XP support is ending and won't know what will happen in the future with it. Some people might not be able to afford a new computer, so i'd just recommend it.

I wouldn't tell them to disconnect from the Internet because sure it won't be patched anymore but i'm sure XP will still be good for general use.

Using an unsupported XP to browse the Internet and send a few emails is not going to suddenly cripple your computer.

#8 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 08 January 2014 - 20:29

Nope.  If it works for them why have them change it.  I don't like 8/8.1 and would be annoyed if I was told to change from 7.  And no, the more viruses and such they get.. the more they bring it in to me.. the more money I get.

#9 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• Phone: Windows Phone 8.1

I probably would recommend a new machine, depending on the person's circumstances. Someone who is obviously struggling I wouldn't, but most people would benefit from the improvements in 7 or 8.

And yes, I would repair it.

#10 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus running CyanogenMod 11

No, if its not on the internet what harm is it really doing?

Ive seen older hardware running earlier versions of Windows than XP disconnected from the internet anyway, controlling expensive machinery. Whats the point in upgrading the OS if its running a few offline applications / hardware?

#11 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 86
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 08 January 2014 - 20:31

Your poll has too limited of responses to come up with any sort of real kind of numbers so I didn't bother with it.

If the machine is X years old and just too slow for say 7, why would they not still run XP on it? I just recently had to put XP on a OLD laptop that my cousin picked up in a garage sale for $25 for his mom to use. I have no idea if she will get on the internet with it or not. Maybe all she will use it for is a fancy solitaire machine?

But I fully patched it, yes ran into the 100% cpu issue that there is a HUGE thread about.. Worked through it and it is fully updated. Its all ready to go, its not a rocket ship - but it will not run 7, I tried! ;) Just too old - but XP works.

Now me personally I could never use the machine.. But whatever she might do with it, prob is fine - better than NO computer ;)

As to what a business might do if OLD machines come in - I would assume they would rather up sell then fix OLD crap.. Now if friends or family came to me with some OLD POS that was all messed up.. Depending on age I would prob tell them its not worth it - just buy something new.. I mean you can get a laptop for under $300 these days - no its not going to be a speed machine, but its going to be much faster than some 5+ year old device that is for sure..

But depending on your $ situation maybe $300 is just out of the picture.. So yeah I would most likely end up fixing it for them if not lost cause because of hardware failure to not make it financially worth putting any $ into if didn't have the parts laying around.

#12 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 08 January 2014 - 20:31

Not really, it's none of my business what they use.

It's like seeing someone with a Galaxy S2 or an iPhone 3G. It's way out of date and there's far better models out there but I have no business telling them to get rid of it. 

#13 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 08 January 2014 - 20:32

No I wouldn't tell them to get new one... you never know that they are poor or rich..  it is up to them to get a new PC or not.

If PC is running well with XP... that is fine..  they can use it for offline uses such as word, regular movies, etc.  Not blu-ray unless it was upgraded with supported parts for it.

I have several laptops... some of them have XP on them. I can use them for gaming or whatever I like to do without connecting to the internet.

shozilla's post sums up my opinion quite nicely :)

#14 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 08 January 2014 - 20:42

Your poll has too limited of responses to come up with any sort of real kind of numbers so I didn't bother with it.

A) go buy a new machine. That means the machine is so old it's not going to handle a new version of windows very well and so if I was going to tell them to get off XP I would tell them to go buy a new computer

B) Upgrade what you have . That means the machine has XP but might be a core 2 duo with 2 gigs of ram might be still be worthy of an OS update

C) No ... meaning by the time you install new version of windows on that computer and pay me to do it you might as well just buy a new computer and if your windows XP machine is running just fine for what you need it for then i'm not going to tell you to either buy a computer or upgrade what you have.

I did add a second poll option to the second Question. Feel free to re-vote people if you have to.

#15 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 08 January 2014 - 20:44

My arcade cabinets run off XP and have never been connected to the internet. No reason to change anything on them, ever.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!