Can't Windows Update a Windows 7 client connected to a Windows Server 2003 domain

not r2.  pre sp2, you are running sp1.  r2 and sp2 are 2 different things.  much like vista and 7 are 2 different things (in the ms server world there is a similar difference, although they don't change the name to reflect the difference). 

sbs is really a pos.  It was designed to run on a super system which sbs's can't or don't want to afford but choose to run it on crap hardware and often wonder why is it slow.....well if you run sql, exchange, wsus, active directory, and a boat load of other services that were really meant to run on seperate servers (even though ms packaged it as one for you), you can't expect it to be a blazing machine. 

It sounds like you would need to run a wsus repair, or uninstall/reinstall.

This article may help you

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708091%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Hello,

not r2.  pre sp2, you are running sp1.  r2 and sp2 are 2 different things.  much like vista and 7 are 2 different things (in the ms server world there is a similar difference, although they don't change the name to reflect the difference).

So this machine is running SP1? I thought it was running SP2 because of winver....

You can validate if R2 with reg keys

SBS related Registry Keys:

* HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\UpdateServices

* HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\setup\

* "R2"=dword:00000001

* HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\setup\R2\

And like I said what does server management show in the right - if r2 it say it right top corner. If you have update services installed, I do believe its R2. But if your SP1?? Again its been years since I messed with old stuff like this.

But sc302 is right on the money - quite often you would go into these small shops and the box they were running SBS on was way way underpowered for what they were wanting to do with it. Exchange, Sql, etc.

So you are IT for this place right - why are you running 2k3 anything? That is well past a refresh period, are you just consulting this location or is this your gig and your IT for the place. If you are IT for the place -- yeah seems like really time they update their core services and hardware. Didn't the 2900 Series come out in like 2006 or something? Again been awhile since on the server side but it is gen 1, 2 or 3 -- I know there were multiple lines of the 2900 series.. But I think they are a bit dated to be sure ;)

Hello,

So this machine is running SP1? I thought it was running SP2 because of winver....

I have seen this when you install rollup packages but according to ms you should be on sp2.  I don't remember the last time that I saw a non R2 version of 2003, it has been a while.

Hello,

You can validate if R2 with reg keys

SBS related Registry Keys:

* HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\UpdateServices

* HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\setup\

* "R2"=dword:00000001

* HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\setup\R2\

I didnt understand but do you mean that with those reg keys I can see if it is R2 or not?

But sc302 is right on the money - quite often you would go into these small shops and the box they were running SBS on was way way underpowered for what they were wanting to do with it. Exchange, Sql, etc.

AFAIK, the only thing on this box is active directory (and its not even used as like I said most group policy settings are nill). Its a shame because a Exchange server would be wonders.

This was also back a few months ago a NAS so to speak; We moved that to a dedicated NAS server now :)

So you are IT for this place right - why are you running 2k3 anything? That is well past a refresh period, are you just consulting this location or is this your gig and your IT for the place. If you are IT for the place -- yeah seems like really time they update their core services and hardware. Didn't the 2900 Series come out in like 2006 or something? Again been awhile since on the server side but it is gen 1, 2 or 3 -- I know there were multiple lines of the 2900 series.. But I think they are a bit dated to be sure ;)

I work here and pretty much control all of IT. One of my bosses used to do it but it seems he got lazy and now throws every job over to me.... (he doesnt know much about AD; I dont either but I know a bit more). Also, I cant make decisions by myself: Example, if I wanted to go to Server 2012 first they would have to approve and then I could do it. Just cant announce that Im gonna do it (this limits me a lot sometimes)

Well, BudMan, the thought about upgrading has crossed my mind a few times. The problem is that first off I know my company wont buy the upgrade so... ;) thats first off. Second, all this server does (wasting watts while at it) is authenticate. AFAIK, it does nothing else. I say AFAIK because when I join a brand new formatted PC to the domain, nothing changes (except obviously no installation of programs if you are a normal user on the domain).

I have seen this when you install rollup packages but according to ms you should be on sp2.  I don't remember the last time that I saw a non R2 version of 2003, it has been a while.

I thought this was R2....but now Im in doubt...

Did a quick search and found this:

strComputer = "."

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem")

For Each objItem in colItems 
If InStr(objItem.OtherTypeDescription, "R2") Then 
WScript.Echo "This computer is running Windows Server 2003 R2." 
Else 
WScript.Echo "This computer is not running Windows Server 2003 R2." 
End If 
Next
To see if it is R2 or not. It returns as it NOT being a R2.

So you have SBS, but are not leveraging any of the other features of SBS, ie exchange, ISA in premium (what do you have standard or premium?) It has some client deployment wizards and web based software deployment that could be setup what about the sharepoint stuff it comes with? Help desk you could setup for example. So your not using exchange - what are you using? What was the point of SBS?

If all your using is Auth portions - you could run simple samba on a linux box as your AD DC ;) https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO

Well if you can not update to current version of OS, I would atleast look to levering what you can - setup wsus, get more involved in group policy. What do you use for help desk, tracking user issues - you could use the sharepoint suff on it for that, etc.

How many users and what do you use for email now if your not using the exchange that comes with SBS?

Hello,

So you have SBS, but are not leveraging any of the other features of SBS, ie exchange, ISA in premium (what do you have standard or premium?) It has some client deployment wizards and web based software deployment that could be setup what about the sharepoint stuff it comes with? Help desk you could setup for example. So your not using exchange - what are you using? What was the point of SBS?

Nope. We have a dedicated firewall that handles what seems to be all os ISAs functions. No Exchange is set up; Clients simply manually configure their Outlook to the POP3 server given by our website hosting. Ideas that go around in my head while I work :p Why dont I make all POP3 mail to to this server, make Exchange run on it, and all clients get email from there? Im sure that is possible. Our hosting, besides POP3, also has Exchange option for 9.99 more a month but Im sure its doable also the way Im saying....

No Sharepoint either setup.

If all your using is Auth portions - you could run simple samba on a linux box as your AD DC ;) https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO

When we setup the NAS, QNAP TS-469U-RP, I say that it had to ability to be a AD DC. The conversation went no where as I commented it and really didnt look into it.

Well if you can not update to current version of OS, I would atleast look to levering what you can - setup wsus, get more involved in group policy. What do you use for help desk, tracking user issues - you could use the sharepoint suff on it for that, etc.

How many users and what do you use for email now if your not using the exchange that comes with SBS?

WSUS is something I think that should be set up as it centralize "getting all the updates from here" method is really nice. The problem is that for some reason the SQL Server portion is completely messsed up. Im not completely sure why but it seems a file is missing but like I said, I think I cant diagnose it myself...

Well, we have about 12 employees in total in a space that is smaller than my room attic so internal helpdesk is counterproductive (screaming "I have a problem!" to me is usually for effective :p ) but a external helpdesk....although Im sure most wont use it and would end up calling me, would be interesting to set up.

Another thing about Sharepoint that I was looking back in the day, is that sometimes employees open the same (Office related) file and then lock it out from another user being able to edit it. I guess I can look into that.

What I personally would do with this is WSUS then Exchange. I think those two would be nice to run on this w2k3sbs server...

Services? Error messages? Group policy? Sorry for being short but details.

The issue is WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) for the domain - it's a server-side service and part of Microsoft System Center.

WSUS can handle everything from Windows Update to licensing compliance domain-wide - however, it also needs to be kept up to date to service the widest possible range of clients - especially Windows 7 and newer.

Hello,

Nope. We have a dedicated firewall that handles what seems to be all os ISAs functions. No Exchange is set up; Clients simply manually configure their Outlook to the POP3 server given by our website hosting. Ideas that go around in my head while I work :p Why dont I make all POP3 mail to to this server, make Exchange run on it, and all clients get email from there? Im sure that is possible. Our hosting, besides POP3, also has Exchange option for 9.99 more a month but Im sure its doable also the way Im saying....

No Sharepoint either setup.

When we setup the NAS, QNAP TS-469U-RP, I say that it had to ability to be a AD DC. The conversation went no where as I commented it and really didnt look into it.

WSUS is something I think that should be set up as it centralize "getting all the updates from here" method is really nice. The problem is that for some reason the SQL Server portion is completely messsed up. Im not completely sure why but it seems a file is missing but like I said, I think I cant diagnose it myself...

Well, we have about 12 employees in total in a space that is smaller than my room attic so internal helpdesk is counterproductive (screaming "I have a problem!" to me is usually for effective :p ) but a external helpdesk....although Im sure most wont use it and would end up calling me, would be interesting to set up.

Another thing about Sharepoint that I was looking back in the day, is that sometimes employees open the same (Office related) file and then lock it out from another user being able to edit it. I guess I can look into that.

What I personally would do with this is WSUS then Exchange. I think those two would be nice to run on this w2k3sbs server...

Actually, if the domain is that small, seriously consider at least Server 2008, if not 2012R2 - especially if your existing server has an x64 CPU already.

Can you list the CPU, and RAM (and GPU if known) of the existing server?

Hello,

Actually, if the domain is that small, seriously consider at least Server 2008, if not 2012R2 - especially if your existing server has an x64 CPU already.

Can you list the CPU, and RAM (and GPU if known) of the existing server?

It is a Xeon 5130 at 2 Ghz

4GB

And it has a ATi ES1000

The issue is WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) for the domain - it's a server-side service and part of Microsoft System Center.

WSUS can handle everything from Windows Update to licensing compliance domain-wide - however, it also needs to be kept up to date to service the widest possible range of clients - especially Windows 7 and newer.

I think if you read through I was able to help identify and rectify the issue temporarily while he gets the wsus db repaired. You don't need to explain to me what wsus is. You do need to monitor it often, it isn't a set it and forget it service.

Hello,

Today everyones PC had a delay of 5 mins at least before reachin the login screen because of updates.....and most have 110 updates pending :laugh:

So yeah, its working.

Is there a way thru group policy to remove that annoying little restart window that appears on the lower right side that says 10 minutes, 30 minutes or 4 horus i think? Im sure there is a way but Im not sure how.

this should do it, go to that gpo on the server

no auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates - enable

re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations - enable and set to 1440 minutes (this is one day)