Photo

Bitlocker failed decrypting drive and now is locked.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 neucom

neucom

Freelance Videographer

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:43

Hello!

As the title says...I was in the process of decrypting my 32gb usb drive to format and copy new files but at 90% the process stopped, the drive disappeared and appeared again on the explorer with the little padlock still on and asked me for my password which I promptly typed and now it shows this message.

lgj6.jpg

I've read several guides on the web about how to recover the drive...but with no success...the recovery key doesn't work either...I type the code and even when it says is ok, is unable to complete the process due to offset differences and the key been incorrect...but it's the one bitlocker generated when I encrypted the drive!

Now I'm stuck...I don't care about the info on the drive. I just want to be able to format the usb! I tried hiren's boot tools and linux gparted but the result is the same...I can see the encrypted files inside the drive (on linux) but I can't delete them because they're write protected.

Anybody has encounter this type of error before? Most of the guides I find talk about getting the info back but not much about how to format the encrypted usb.

Please help, I just bought this new usb drive a couple of weeks ago and I don't want to lose it.

I'm using windows 7 ultimate X64.

#2 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:52

Can't say I've encountered it before, but would DBAN not erase it? That would be my go-to tool if I had problems erasing a disk.

#3 OP neucom

neucom

Freelance Videographer

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:56

Tried that one, the process started but after an hour the progress bar was stuck at 0.00%...then I started trying other solutions.

#4 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:00

Depending on the options you selected with DBAN, an hour is nothing. ;) I seem to remember leaving one setup running for about 24 hours. :laugh:

#5 OP neucom

neucom

Freelance Videographer

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:08

24 hours? omg, how big was the drive? I guess I'll leave it working while I'm at the office and see if something happens in a few hours.

#6 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:11

24 hours? omg, how big was the drive? I guess I'll leave it working while I'm at the office and see if something happens in a few hours.

Well that's my point, it wasn't about the size of the drive really, it was more about the settings that I told DBAN to use to make sure the information was well and truly destroyed. This was before I knew how pointless it was. :laugh:

#7 Brandon C.

Brandon C.

[REDACTED]

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:15

I deal with Bitlocker encrypted computers on a daily basis and I've never ran into issues formatting them or any external devices. It sounds like there might be something physically wrong with the drive now. What is the brand/model of the flash drive?

#8 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:18

I deal with Bitlocker encrypted computers on a daily basis and I've never ran into issues formatting them or any external devices.

This is what I found confusing. Bitlocker encrypts the drive but it doesn't stop you from erasing the drive, just from accessing the information without the PIN.

#9 wibble64

wibble64

Neowinian

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:58

well its possible that the memory cells have run out of erase cycles so its become write protected since it is a usb memory stick.  or you could try googling about removing write protection from usb memory sticks.

#10 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 09 January 2014 - 14:06

Usually Diskpart Clean fixes this sort of stuff.

Open a command prompt as admin

> diskpart

> list disk

> > find out what the ID is of the disk you want to erase, let's assume it's 2.

> select disk 2 (or whatever id you have)

> clean

That should wipe all of the partition table information and allow you to format it.

#11 OP neucom

neucom

Freelance Videographer

Posted 09 January 2014 - 14:11

It's a 32gb Kingston datatraveler 100g3 usb3.0. I bought this usb a couple of weeks ago to replace my old 2.0 16gb, everything was working fine until I tried to decrypt the drive. I just tried dban and it doesn't recognized the drive anymore, but if I use ubuntu I can access the drive and see lots of bitlocker files inside and the read only warning on gparted. Also...when checking the drive, if shows the boot sector and mft are different..one shows fat32 and the other says ntfs...

#12 XerXis

XerXis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 January 2014 - 14:18

It's a 32gb Kingston datatraveler 100g3 usb3.0. I bought this usb a couple of weeks ago to replace my old 2.0 16gb, everything was working fine until I tried to decrypt the drive. I just tried dban and it doesn't recognized the drive anymore, but if I use ubuntu I can access the drive and see lots of bitlocker files inside and the read only warning on gparted. Also...when checking the drive, if shows the boot sector and mft are different..one shows fat32 and the other says ntfs...

can't you just go to disk management, erase all the partitions and create a new one?

#13 Blueclub

Blueclub

Neowinian

• Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 09 January 2014 - 14:24

Bitlocker should only encrypt the USB drive, if you right click \ Format the USB it should format the drive. If not on your computer then maybe try someone elses?

#14 OP neucom

neucom

Freelance Videographer

Posted 09 January 2014 - 14:28

nx01.jpg

Nope

And diskpart shows :

dfyt.jpg

I'm starting to think this thing died...

#15 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 09 January 2014 - 14:41

Before doing clean (and after doing select disk 5), try this:

attributes disk clear readonly

(and make sure to run cmd as administrator)