Lenovo to launch multiple Chromebooks this summer

Lenovo is reportedly planning to release a set of new Chromebooks this year. Jay Parker, president for Lenovo's North American operations, told CNET at CES that "multiple Chromebook models" would see release by summer 2014, at various price points and configurations.

The Chinese company ? who boast the largest PC market share in the world, according to IDC data ? released its first Chromebook last January. It was targeted at the education sector, but Parker thinks the Chromebook's appeal can be rapidly broadened, believing that the market "will accelerate greatly in the next 12 months." The tacit backing of the biggest computer vendor in the world will undoubtedly speed that process along.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/9/5291158/new-lenovo-chromebooks-coming-summer-2014

Did Chromebooks ever really take off? I don't think I've seen one yet. What was the intention again, did Google think that everyone was going to use webapps and cloud storage?

I guess if Lenovo have already released the first Chromebook and are now working on a wider range, there must be a market somewhere.

Did Chromebooks ever really take off? I don't think I've seen one yet. What was the intention again, did Google think that everyone was going to use webapps and cloud storage?

I guess if Lenovo have already released the first Chromebook and are now working on a wider range, there must be a market somewhere.

statistics from netapplications and statcounter shows installed base( web usage) from chromebooks as under 0.1%.

I think there will be a big push for CBs this year.  There are already 4 or so OEMs making them with a rumored 7 total this year.

I think there will be a big push for CBs this year.  There are already 4 or so OEMs making them with a rumored 7 total this year.

Margin, techbeck - margin.  That is what Android (and ChromeOS) give OEMs; Windows' hardware baseline is a lot more expensive than that of either Android or a Chromebook.  That's the REAL area where OEMs that are starting the Chromebook and Android tablet push are making up margin - not license costs.  Other than Lenovo, the other OEMs pushing Chromebooks lost their shirts in the enterprise and PC OEM space the past two years - and even Lenovo didn't do as well in North America as it hoped to.