Photo

Is This Computer Reporting The Wrong Temperature?

Answered Go to the full post temperature cpu fan cooling wrong

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 The Dingus Diddler

The Dingus Diddler

Sir Derpy McHerperton III

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020

Posted 09 January 2014 - 20:00

Yesterday a new computer that I'd bought for a friend arrived, nothing fancy, mainly just for general browsing and a bit of LoL, everything was running great till I noticed in the BIOS that the it was reporting that the CPU temperature was fluctuating between 69 and 100 degrees. It has an AMD A8-5600K and was using the stock fan. I thought it was a bit strange since it should probably idle about 30-40 degrees, I had a new cooler on the way anyways so I didn't think much of it. I got the new cooler today, installed it and the same thing happens. I downloaded Speccy and watched the temps, about 40 seconds after the computer has been turned on the temperature can be about 90 degrees, then slowly go down to 58 but as soon as it hits that it usually jumps straight up to 88-90 again and starts going down and then randomly it hits 103 and then jumps straight from it down to 49. I left the computer on for about half an hour of it doing this and put my hand next to the vent, cold air was coming out. So I'm guessing that the wrong temperature is being reported? And if not what could be causing it to get so hot as the stock cooler should definitely keep it cooler than that! 

For reference I'm using this cooler, I know it's not the best but it's pretty quiet and should be more than powerful enough to cool the CPU through what he's using it for. 

http://www.ebuyer.co...lim-silence-apl

Best Answer +snaphat (Myles Landwehr) , 11 January 2014 - 18:30

The CPU temperature sensor is an on-die register (i.e. unrelated to the motherboard). It is highly unlikely that the reported temperature is incorrect/faulty. Isolated single function failures like that simply do not occur in manufacturing. Something else has to be wrong (e.g. bad connection to the heatsink, bad chip, etc.)

see: http://www.alcpu.com...howitworks.html

Go to the full post

#2 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 09 January 2014 - 20:41

Either the temperature sensor is malfunctioning or something iffy is happening with the coolers. Did you reapply thermal paste after switching the coolers?

#3 OP The Dingus Diddler

The Dingus Diddler

Posted 09 January 2014 - 20:42

I enabled the smart fan in the BIOS and set the target temperate for 50 degrees and set the minimum fan speed to 50%, the fan is definitely going slower as it's now almost completely silent and it's reporting the exact same temperatures so yeah, I think it's just reading the temperature wrong. Is there any way to fix this? No updates available for the BIOS.

#4 OP The Dingus Diddler

The Dingus Diddler

Posted 09 January 2014 - 20:43

Either the temperature sensor is malfunctioning or something iffy is happening with the coolers. Did you reapply thermal paste after switching the coolers?

This cooler came with pre-applied paste, cleaned off the existing paste and stuck the new cooler on.

#5 D. S.

D. S.

Hate is the new Love

• Phone: Nokia 113

Posted 09 January 2014 - 20:46

I enabled the smart fan in the BIOS and set the target temperate for 50 degrees and set the minimum fan speed to 50%, the fan is definitely going slower as it's now almost completely silent and it's reporting the exact same temperatures so yeah, I think it's just reading the temperature wrong. Is there any way to fix this? No updates available for the BIOS.

If it's the motherboard own sensor that is malfunctioning, I have no idea. Probably was damaged when assembling? Sorry. Since it's a new machine, maybe RMA? It shouldn't be a major issue but it's a malfunction on a new machine.

#6 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 09 January 2014 - 20:49

If it's a new motherboard the OEM may have a beta BIOS available either on the website or through direct contact.  You'd be better off asking them.

#7 OP The Dingus Diddler

The Dingus Diddler

Posted 09 January 2014 - 20:51

If it's the motherboard own sensor that is malfunctioning, I have no idea. Probably was damaged when assembling? Sorry. Since it's a new machine, maybe RMA? It shouldn't be a major issue but it's a malfunction on a new machine.

Yupp, that's all that I could think of. I'll leave it on until I go to bed and see if I can actually feel it get hotter, if not I'll just leave it as I got it for a birthday present for him and I want him to get it on time. If it does start to feel really hot then I'll stick the old cooler back on it and send it back :) Thanks for the advice.

#8 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 09 January 2014 - 20:56

Yupp, that's all that I could think of. I'll leave it on until I go to bed and see if I can actually feel it get hotter, if not I'll just leave it as I got it for a birthday present for him and I want him to get it on time. If it does start to feel really hot then I'll stick the old cooler back on it and send it back :) Thanks for the advice.

Where was my birthday present computer?!

#9 OP The Dingus Diddler

The Dingus Diddler

Posted 09 January 2014 - 21:04

If it's a new motherboard the OEM may have a beta BIOS available either on the website or through direct contact.  You'd be better off asking them.

It's a MSI FM2-A55M-E33 I can't see any beta versions but even if I could I think I'd want to stay with a final build as it's for a friend. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Where was my birthday present computer?!

You mean you didn't get it!? Damn the Canadian postal service, I sent it months ago :(

#10 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 09 January 2014 - 22:03

You mean you didn't get it!? Damn the Canadian postal service, I sent it months ago :(

Damn, this always happens.. it's why I can't have nice things.. the post office always takes them.

#11 riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 11 January 2014 - 14:49

Hello,

You mentioned it hitting 100 degress; I think at that temp any modern motherboard automatically shuts down for security reasons. Strange yours didnt.

#12 OP The Dingus Diddler

The Dingus Diddler

Posted 11 January 2014 - 14:52

Hello,

You mentioned it hitting 100 degress; I think at that temp any modern motherboard automatically shuts down for security reasons. Strange yours didnt.

I seen it hit about 117 degrees at one point, the mobo temperature was only 38 degrees though so the CPU temp sensor has to be malfunctioning :)

#13 Sandor

Sandor

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 January 2014 - 14:57

Damn, this always happens.. it's why I can't have nice things.. the post office always takes them.

I got a "final notice" on the 7th January 2014 telling me a package I was expecting would be held at the nearest post office until 31st December 2013 and then returned...

Never got any other notices...and delivering the note a week after the item was returned was really useful for me. Thanks Canada Post!

#14 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 11 January 2014 - 18:30   Best Answer

The CPU temperature sensor is an on-die register (i.e. unrelated to the motherboard). It is highly unlikely that the reported temperature is incorrect/faulty. Isolated single function failures like that simply do not occur in manufacturing. Something else has to be wrong (e.g. bad connection to the heatsink, bad chip, etc.)

#15 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 11 January 2014 - 19:01

Considering that everything is well placed (cpu, cooler and thermal paste) then i would guess that this is a mainboard or CPU issue; either the mainboard isn't reading the temps well (those temps are provided by the CPU northbridge) or is the CPU reporting bad temps (unlikely). The fact that this CPU can only go to 74º until shutdown and you have reported temps above that one is proving that the issue is one of those.

I would start to try to RMA the board for a new one and if the new board does report the same temp fluctuation than contact AMD for RMA the CPU.

Also while contacting MSI for RMA that board explain the issue to them, has it might be an internal know issue.