After all Chrome Sales reported wrongly!

Microsoft are 100% guilty themselves, they claim windows 8 is the fastest selling OS of all time when in reality it sold fast only to oem's and not at retail, only showing miniscule growth 3 months during 2013 with windows 7 actually surpassing it the remaining months.

Microsoft - pot>kettle>black 

• Like 2

It was never reported wrong. Read the original Neowin article, it clearly says commercial channels. People just made a mistake on two things:

1. They don't know what commercial channels means.

2. They don't know how to read.

• Like 3

i know that 21% number was BS....how can it be a fifth of the market. Ive never even seen one or know anyone who considered buying a web browser machine 

web browser machine? you should go "see" one and learn they are much more.

Microsoft are 100% guilty themselves, they claim windows 8 is the fastest selling OS of all time when in reality it sold fast only to oem's and not at retail, only showing miniscule growth 3 months during 2013 with windows 7 actually surpassing it the remaining months.

Microsoft never said that. And that has NOTHING to do with what this thread is about. Microsoft has ALWAYS reported the sales of Windows the same, so it was completely comparable with any other version. This thread is about all the "news" sites that went crazy claiming 21% of computers sold were Chromebooks, when the publisher of the article stated clearly that is not what it says. It is an indictment of so called online journalism, nothing else.

and I didn't see single person in India who bought Chromebook.

Oh may be I should say, No one sells here.

I would say at an average atleast 1000 laptops/desktop sold everyday [at worst case I am speaking].

Microsoft has always used OEM sales and never retail sales...so how can it be pot calling the kettle black? If they used retail for Windows 7 and then OEM for 8 that's one thing. But they've ALWAYS used OEM.

If it was misleading with 8 then it was also misleading with 7, Vista, XP, 2000 etc.

web browser machine? you should go "see" one and learn they are much more.

I know theres a market etc etc. but its still a watered down and rather unappealing experience of modern computing.

Especially with Android tablets and such going about with specs to match Chromebooks. Seems like the illogical choice imho.

While Neowin posted the story in the right way the same wasn't the case for other sites.  First off I don't see Chromebooks sticking around past this year.  I think we'll probably see OEMs try to sell you a android powered notebook, maybe with yet another tweaked UI as a option instead.

Of course this might not happen either with the right changes to Windows 8.x going forward.