What level of responsibility do game retailers have re: age restrictions

Age Restrictions for games  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What level of responsibility to retailers have?

• Very high. They should be informing parents who they think are making inappropriate purchases & check IDs
    • Limited. Check IDs if there is a valid suspicion about the age of the customer, but offer no advice to adults buying games for kids.
    • None. Can't the parents read the classification labels on the front of the cover?
    • Other. Specify

Id rather you held your grudge than, I the person behind the counter lost my job. Better to be on the side of caution than to risk being on the dole for selling to minors?

Also I imagine you no doubt went down the street to a different shop and bought the game there.

I live in a tiny crappy town where it was the only place to buy PC games.

Also, they wouldn't have got in any trouble as it wasn't even illegal!

I live in a tiny crappy town where it was the only place to buy PC games.

Also, they wouldn't have got in any trouble as it wasn't even illegal!

Doesn't mean it wasn't against store policy. 

Doesn't mean it wasn't against store policy. 

I believe it was more the case that the shop assistant believed that ratings on games at the time were like those on movies, enforcable by the law, which was not the case.

Still, it was about 14 years ago now so I think I have finally let go of the Thief debacle.

I believe it was more the case that the shop assistant believed that ratings on games at the time were like those on movies, enforcable by the law, which was not the case.

Still, it was about 14 years ago now so I think I have finally let go of the Thief debacle.

As a business owner its his choice if he sells it to you or not. And whilst you may think "oh hes being a ratings Nazi", maybe he just wanted to do his job well and uphold a standard for his shop. Either way he had every right to do so, as a minor trying to buy something you know is not meant for you. Id say him being the adult in the situation, did you a favor. Or at least allowed him to go home at night happy he wasnt selling to minors, moral compass` and what not.

Also this :

Mon, Jul 30, 2012 | 10:04 BST

PEGI becomes UK law today

PEGI age classification for games becomes law in the UK today, making it illegal for retailers to sell games to anyone under age.

Although it feels as though it?s been around for ages, PEGI is now officially UK law from today, enforcing the standard on retailers everywhere.

The PEGI age classification system completely replaces the classic BBFC ratings, which will no longer be used.

PEGI also comes with harsh penalties for anyone found to be selling games to anyone under age, such as a ?5,000 fine and up to six years in prison.

Culture minister Ed Vaizey chipped in with his own thoughts on the PEGI standard: ?The UK has one of the most dynamic and innovative video games industries in the world, and the games they produce not only entertain millions, but can also educate and foster creativity.

?Today?s simplification of the ratings system benefits both industry and consumers and will help ensure that the millions of games sold in the UK each year are being played by the audiences they were intended for.?

Not quite the case. Ratings on games were a bit complicated because there were two different ratings used. The BBFC (who also rate movies) and PEGI (who just rate games). The BBFC ratings were legally enforceable, the PEGI ones were not. That changed in 2012 when all game ratings moved to being PEGI, and PEGI ratings became legally enforceable.

As a business owner its his choice if he sells it to you or not. And whilst you may think "oh hes being a ratings Nazi", maybe he just wanted to do his job well and uphold a standard for his shop. Either way he had every right to do so, as a minor trying to buy something you know is not meant for you. Id say him being the adult in the situation, did you a favor. Or at least allowed him to go home at night happy he wasnt selling to minors, moral compass` and what not.

Also this :

She. Who's a nazi now?!!!!  :woot:

Also, in regards to your quote, I was referencing an event in the year 2000...