Photo

Do you install drivers or software/drivers?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:47

Hello,

Today configuring a PC, I installed all the drivers simply scanning the DVD. Should I install the software (which installs the drivers) as well?

#2 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:58

It depends on what it is, I think. Sometimes software can give you more control over something such as with my laptop I have a few utilities which are specific to my hardware which wouldn't function without the software.

#3 Tomo

Tomo

IT Engineer

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:23

I never install Wifi software as I find that Windows does a much better job.

#4 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:34

It depends on what it is, I think. Sometimes software can give you more control over something such as with my laptop I have a few utilities which are specific to my hardware which wouldn't function without the software.

The few weird utilities that came with the Lenovo laptop that I have require drivers AND software. The software is such crap that the laptop is much better off without it. I'm much better of without it also as I would've probably smashed the thing trying to use that crap!

Stuff like printers though, I DO NOT install the software that comes with them. Nothing but bloat!

#5 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:39

Samsung makes laptops for which you can't download any driver from their website and are forced to install their garbage software to download any driver, a software that pesters you with notifications 24/7 if you don't have the same exact matching driver versions (even a newer driver could trigger the warnings every couple of hours). What a nightmare.

Also all custom bluetooth software loading hundreds of megabytes of background services every damn boot must die a wired, horrible death.

#6 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:58

I install drivers for some things, but a lot of drivers and the software they come with are poorly coded and they crash a lot. If Windows can already do everything, I just send the crashing drivers back to DUI school.

#7 Coagulated

Coagulated

Neowinian

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:58

Depends on the hardware, but usually I don't install the software unless it is needed to tweak the settings of the hardware.

#8 Xahid

Xahid

Anokha Neowinian

• Phone: HTC One S

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:15

Just Drivers, all I need,

Except if its Camera, you need a program to use Camera too.

#9 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus running CyanogenMod 11

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:32

Also all custom bluetooth software loading hundreds of megabytes of background services every damn boot must die a wired, horrible death.

Anything that can't use the Windows Bluetooth stack is not worth having, i would sooner just not install it.

#10 +sanke1

sanke1

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:37

Except Nvidia/AMD drivers, I do not install any driver which I perceive to be a bloat. I don't even install Realtek audio drivers. I feel the default Microsoft sound drivers for it do much better job.

#11 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 January 2014 - 14:40

Except Nvidia/AMD drivers, I do not install any driver which I perceive to be a bloat. I don't even install Realtek audio drivers. I feel the default Microsoft sound drivers for it do much better job.

You've been lucky then, there are plenty of motherboards or laptops where the manufacturer didn't bother configuring the input/outputs properly and chose to rely only on customized drivers that will never be further updated again.

#12 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 10 January 2014 - 14:59

On my Win 8.1 Pro install, the only driver programs I have installed are Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel and ASUS Smart Gesture.

#13 He's Dead Jim

He's Dead Jim

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 January 2014 - 15:12

Hello,

Today configuring a PC, I installed all the drivers simply scanning the DVD. Should I install the software (which installs the drivers) as well?

Yup, it depends whats bundled with the software, If I can easily find the required *.inf in the bundle that's all I use, unless of course the full software is required for the device to work.

#14 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 January 2014 - 15:25

If I can just point Device Manager at the folder containing the INF for the device, that's what I stick with--absolute minimal setup.

Most of the rest of the bundled crapware is just that, crap, that insists on starting automatically, constantly looking for updates, constantly nagging you, adding system tray icons that are useless, chewing RAM and CPU cycles for services that don't do anything useful, leave poorly written apps running all the time that present security holes, etc.

#15 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 10 January 2014 - 15:26

I usually install Intel drivers for network stuff since you actually gain a lot of configuration possibilities. And on my Sony laptop there are a few utilities you need to control the backlight, WiFi/Bt/3G switches, ... But they work quite well, hardly take any resources and actually look good so I don't mind.

For example, Sony's connectivity switching app:

JqzDyGf.png

All the actual connecting is done through the Windows tools by default, but this offers a few device-specific configuration options (like 2.4Ghz/5Ghz/dual modes for WiFi).

And Vaio Control Center has some pretty cool stuff too and runs nothing in the background:

NYv6blL.png

Only background service I have is the one that monitors the hotkeys and displays the OSD, and compared to the atrocities I've seen on Asus/Acer/Samsung laptops it's really not bad:

scbEcrg.png

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!