So I picked up a new Netgear AC1900 Router as I had some Amazon gift card and it was their daily deal of the day this past Wednesday.
The Nighthawk R7000 to be exact.
It looks like I have some more options as to how to setup a second router than I previously realized. So I am wondering what people think is the better approach.
First and most important thing to keep in mind is Verizon forces their Actiontec modem/router on people, so that is why I even have to go through all of these hoops. The good news is however I do have a direct Cat 5 connection from the ONT, so I have some options.
So these are the 2 different options I have settled on based on all of the various options that can be found here.
- Avoids double-NATing. Port Forwards are configured in the Actiontec only.
- Good choice, if all you need is to connect your 802.11n router as a Wireless Access Point (WAP).
- VZ support for Actiontec.
- All current STB functionality supported. Guide, VOD, widgets, Remote DVR, On Screen Caller ID.
- Still subject to small NAT table in early (GEN1) Actiontecs. Does not apply to the Westell's larger NAT table.
- Easy. FSC can switch WAN connection from coax to cat5 remotely.
- NAT limited by primary router, not Actiontec.
- VOD, guide data and widgets supported.
- Configuration not supported by VZ. May have to reconnect Actiontec to ONT (via cat5) as primary router for support.
- Does not support media sharing on PCs connected to primary router.
- Does not support remote access to DVR, on-screen caller id or VZ's CPE management interface (see note #3 above).