Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Version Cannot Update to Windows 8.1

Randy C, I bought a legitimate copy of Windows 8 Pro Upgrade version.

Dot Matrix, the direct link to the update in the store didn't work. Another user suggested that the Windows 8.1 update won't show up in the Windows Store App because I did a clean install using an upgrade version of Windows.

My install on my laptop was a clean install update as well, though I had to call Microsoft support to get mine going. Win8.1 showed up in the store no problem.

I'm thinking this "trick" is preventing you from updating.

My install on my laptop was a clean install update as week, though I had to call Microsoft support to get mine going. Win8.1 showed up in the store no problem.

I'm thinking this "trick" is preventing you from updating.

My question is whether he can activate a clean install of 8.1 using the upgrade key as he was doing in 8.0. Maybe if he undid the registry tweak, the Windows 8.1 update would show up in the store. *shrugs*

You will not be able to install using your original Windows 8 key however you can install using the generic Windows 8.1 key that is floating around.  It is the same key that is used for the trial/key-less install on the disc.  Once the OS is installed you will be able to switch to your actual WIndows 8 key.  Keep in mind I don't know if this works on an upgrade Windows 8 key.  I did this with a non-upgrade key.  You can "upgrade" using the Windows 8.1 but be ready to cleanup a little as needed.  A few drivers will not be loaded or be loaded improperly and a few apps might not work without a reinstall.

You will not be able to install using your original Windows 8 key however you can install using the generic Windows 8.1 key that is floating around.  It is the same key that is used for the trial/key-less install on the disc.  Once the OS is installed you will be able to switch to your actual WIndows 8 key.  Keep in mind I don't know if this works on an upgrade Windows 8 key.  I did this with a non-upgrade key.  You can "upgrade" using the Windows 8.1 but be ready to cleanup a little as needed.  A few drivers will not be loaded or be loaded improperly and a few apps might not work without a reinstall.

As far as I know, the upgrade keys (e.g. the $15 Windows 8 upgrade keys) are retail keys. I was able to use my upgrade Windows 8 key just fine several months ago after using the generic key to install and the phone activation method. If you have a WMC key (which is also a retail key) you can activate Windows 8.1 that way after installing the OS (and using the generic key to install). Using the phone activation method is most recommended when doing this.

After installing Win8.1 with the generic key, you will be able to use any Win8 key to activate directly.

More info: In order to activate a Win8Upgrade key on a fresh Win8 install, you need to change a registry value. However, with Win8.1 it will accept the upgrade key directly in the GUI. I successfully activated both an OEM and an Upgrade (from the MS Store website) Win 8 key on Win8.1 without any extra steps. Some websites floating around tell you to open up CMD and use "slmgr blah blah blah". That is unnecessary, it's just a command line method of doing exactly the same thing the GUI does.